Oscar De La Hoya Urges Rory MacDonald To After The Finish

Cutty

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He said this after the Penn fight:

"I was wondering, why don't you just go finish him? He looks like he has talent, that little 'it' factor, he has to just keep on working on it, feel that killer instinct. Feel it and go after it. Feel it, grab it, get it. I would love to see him use that jab to the body. If I was in there with [BJ Penn], that jab to the body would have just paralyzed him. He's a talented fighter. My hat goes off to him."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/19/1944026/oscar-de-la-hoya-rory-macdonald-ufc-fox-5-boxing-mma

The question is, could Rory have finished BJ ? It looked that way in the second round but nobody has ever knocked him out.

lol, even boxers can see when certain mma guys don't go for the finish.

but de la hoya is a just bleed fan though, right???

:rolleyes:

He could have and should have. BJ was badly doubled over in pain from those body kicks at one point, but Rory seemed to back away.

A guy like thiago alves would've finished bj in that position

he was too busy taunting and showboating to go for the finish.

But, a finish is not the most important aspect of MMA /sarcasm off

BJ is tough though so who knows?

In this comment he comes off pretty armchair warrior-ish. "See what he shoulda done..." **sips beer**

I think if he kept at it in the 3rd round instead of goofing around he could have tko'd him easily. Still a dominate fight by Rory

I finally watched the whole fight, and Rory definitely seemed to lack killer instinct in that fight. Too busy trying flashy kicks without any power and measuring distance. Not sure what the hell he was thinking.

This coming from the guy who coasted against Trinidad.

I think after bj Penn survived tgw second round that Rory was like, wtf do I need to do to put this bum away, and realised it was simply safer to end the fight without having to throw huge bombs that could have left him counter able.

In this comment he comes off pretty armchair warrior-ish. "See what he shoulda done..." **sips beer**

I call it constructive criticism, and do we really doubt he could have implemented this game plan?

Never seen a fight where a guy was doubled over from a body shot and someone rushed in to finish him and be ktfo. Nope. Never.

:icon_chee
that was the fight he lost me as a fan in high school

I will never forget that fight. You never forget a fight where a room full of Puerto Ricans are yelling thier lungs out :)

he stated in the post fight interview he was still apprehensive about engaging because he knew how good Penn's boxing was. probably should have gone after it anyway but whatever he is still young he has plenty of time to learn.

no, if he was in there with penn, penn would have double legged him and finished de la hoya easily

Rory is a beast, he even admitted post-fight he made technical errors and played it safe.

Back