Opinions on wrestlers in bjj

If you take them down and dominate them, that's their fault for not having better defense, sweeps and escapes.

As for him not using BJJ in a BJJ competition, Jeff Monson and Amaury Bitetti have won on points in BJJ and nogi grappling by dominating position due to their strong wrestling skills so I don't see how this is different. We may all love subs but if a guy is able to win on points and avoid dangerous situations, I'm not gonna begrudge him that because I'd do the same if I was able to.

Don't feel bad. Just win, baby. Just win.

Kawlinz said:
Cheap is what scrubs say when they get beaten by a tactic they don't like or bother to practice against. And he's not cheating.

Stop saying that the goal is to submit your opponent... because it's not, it's just one of the way to win.
While winning by points is a legal way to win, it is better to win by submission in tournaments. You will be fresher for your next match and there is no room for controversey. One good rule of thumb is to control the match so the officials don't end up making the decision.

Also, it is usually harder to win by points! At several grappling tournaments you can't rack up points by taking someone down, letting them back up, taking them down, letting them up, etc... You get points the first time, then nothing the next few times. You might even get a stalling call! Same for mounting and dismounting over and over again - except if the other person rolled you off of them and you eventually got another mount - you won't get more points.

Jeff Monson maybe good at what he does but try staying awake watching his matches.

Bama Zulu said:
Jeff Monson maybe good at what he does but try staying awake watching his matches.
Wrestling and BJJ are boring except to people who studied it. Try calculating the energy states of an electron in a finite well for mind numbing bordem...

Gothic_Coop said:
I think that you are show one of the true weakness of BJJ is he takedown. I have tons of wrestling exprience and very little grappling exprience. Do to my wrestling I can compete a much higher level grappling then others that do not have the same time in.

Hell if wrestling gave out belts I think I would be some level of blackbelt.

it's not a weakness just not part of the system,doesn't mean you can't learn it elsewhere. sure you use throws in bjj but it's not

Frodo said:
Wrestling and BJJ are boring except to people who studied it. Try calculating the energy states of an electron in a finite well for mind numbing bordem...

Electrons are in a state of constant motion, and therefore more interesting than lay and pray.

Bama Zulu said:
I doubt he feels bad about not subbing anyone when he walks home with the winners purse. Nor should anyone who wins by positional domination. A win is a win. There is no such thing as a cheap victory, only sore losers. Also while such fights may not be as entertaining as guys slapping on and slipping out of subs endlessly, a competition is about winners and losers, entertainment may be extracted from watching competition but it is not the goal of competitions. The goal is to find the better grappler and wrestlers count as grapplers so if a BJJ guy loses to a wrestlers, it's not the wrestlers fault he is good at what he does, it is the BJJers fault for not having a better strategy once it hits the ground, a decent sprawl or better wrestling skills.

Kawlinz said:
First off, most Judo tournies don't allow pulling guard. Winning by ippon isn't 'the point' of Judo, it's just one of the ways you can win.

yes it is

winning by pin or submission is a way to win but it's not the core of judo just like takedowns arn't the core of BJJ.

The core of BJJ and ways to win a BJJ tournement are different.

Put it this way, if you're ahead on points and have dominant position and there's 30 seconds left, are you going to go for a submission or are you going to wait it out, and maintain control... in most cases you're better of maintaining control, because it leads to an easier victory in that situation.

Sauron said:
yes it is

winning by pin or submission is a way to win but it's not the core of judo just like takedowns arn't the core of BJJ.

I disagree... The core of bjj and judo relies in Maximum efficiency and minimum effort... This is the Core of Brazilian Jiu jitsu/Judo while stand up, ground, and striking are the tools applied to the core...

Back