Opinions on wrestlers in bjj

eh, id say guard pulling is just as lame as the takedown/let them up strategy...both highlight big holes in your game and i usually don't pull guard in competitions. nevertheless, if i come out and some guy wants to play pattycakes/takedown defense with me for the whole match then win in the last 30 seconds by takedown, ill pull guard. im surprised no one just sat down to their guard after seeing the original poster's first matches.

I won matches because I have my wrestling background but I still go for submissions when appropriate. Also I didn't just take them down and cut them. That was just a question. I'd only get out and standup when we started to scramble and I felt that I was going to lose the dominant position. And just because I used my wrestling to my advantage doesn't mean I don't train in other aspects of the game. During bjj practice rarely work from my feet. Even when we go live I pull guard or sit on my ass to try and improve my guard.

bacon said:
There ain't nuthin wrong with that either. Again, its called "intelligence". No one in their right mind walks into a match saying "I'm going to take my worst weapon and use it against his best weapon."

I don't know if lame is the word, annoying is close, frustrating is closer. (assuming you're the one on the receiving end of the one-demensional pwnage)

I couldn't agree more. Practice is for working on your weak points. Tournaments and competitions are all about playing the discrepancy (pitting your strengths against their weaknesses). You dominate where you can in any given match.

Besides, in the long-term I think it's good for the sport as it forces the relatively weak BJJ stand-up to evolve.

A quality opponent would have come up with something in their own game to counter your strengths (i.e. the lame butt scoot). They came up empty and so were not the better grappler on that day.

I won matches because I have my wrestling background but I still go for submissions when appropriate. Also I didn't just take them down and cut them. That was just a question. I'd only get out and standup when we started to scramble and I felt that I was going to lose the dominant position. And just because I used my wrestling to my advantage doesn't mean I don't train in other aspects of the game. During bjj practice rarely work from my feet. Even when we go live I pull guard or sit on my ass to try and improve my guard. QUOTE

Good on ya. Keep improving and you'll hush the haters. Good luck

Gothic_Coop said:
Then why not start from the knees instead of the feet then?
Im not saying take downs are bad at all.. They are good for the sport, and a neccsary part of fighting

but if all your going to do is take someone down.. stand and repeat.. then your in the wrong competitions.

How frustrated would you be if a guy just sat down as soon as they said go. Just sat there and waited for you to come in his guard.

bacon said:
Gothic_Coop said:
Appparently its embarassing to get taken down 15 times in one match....who knew?
Just to clarify, I did develop a ground game and adapted the "take em down, let em up" style to a "take em down, fuck em up" style. In wrestling that is. My JJ is novice at best, but I don't compete.

Some times to win you need to do that. I would rather pin a guy a few seconds then go 3 rounds with them.

Gsoares2 said:
Im not saying take downs are bad at all.. They are good for the sport.

but if all your going to do is take someone down.. stand and repeat.. then your in the wrong competitions.

Honestly the same thing could be said about wrestling. Wrestling is not just takedowns. their is a ground game too, but it is just not submision.

This is what happens to a sport you get "Gamers" that all they want to do is win.

If you have great takedowns and take advantage then alright thats cool, but to get the takedown, stand up, get the takedown, stand up, and get the takedown is just annoying. In my last match a wrestler kept on stepping back and out've guard and going for the takedown again. Its especially annoying because with 3 seconds left in the match I sunk in an RNC and he held his breath until the time ran out.

Truculent said:
If you have great takedowns and take advantage then alright thats cool, but to get the takedown, stand up, get the takedown, stand up, and get the takedown is just annoying. In my last match a wrestler kept on stepping back and out've guard and going for the takedown again. Its especially annoying because with 3 seconds left in the match I sunk in an RNC and he held his breath until the time ran out.

His breath? You mean he held his blood?? I call bullshit.

Gothic_Coop said:
Honestly the same thing could be said about wrestling. Wrestling is not just takedowns. their is a ground game too, but it is just not submision.

This is what happens to a sport you get "Gamers" that all they want to do is win.
I know what you mean I personally don't like the point players in BJJ tournaments who do everything to get the points be it pass, flip, or mount, than when they know they're ahead...they stall. I like the guys who goes for the submission.

colinm said:
eh, id say guard pulling is just as lame as the takedown/let them up strategy...both highlight big holes in your game and i usually don't pull guard in competitions. nevertheless, if i come out and some guy wants to play pattycakes/takedown defense with me for the whole match then win in the last 30 seconds by takedown, ill pull guard. im surprised no one just sat down to their guard after seeing the original poster's first matches.

you think pulling guard is a weakness....? :eek:
Im assuming you mean just laying down immediately after the match starts and hoping the other guy jumps into your guard right?

going to guard while being taken down is not weak imo but flopping is.

I think it's whack. I hate the wrestler's mentality in BJJ. But whatever if you wanna win by just taking them down and laying on them the whole match hoping for a submission but when you get reversed stand right back and do it again then go ahead. You might have some self satisfaction in your head but you will be just like Jeff Monson.

I guess what people here are saying is this: What you did defeats the point of the compeition. Was what you did "wrong" within the rules? NO. Does it defeat the point of having a submission grapplin compeition and basically mess up the people who wanted to "grapple"? Yes.

knoxpk said:
going to guard while being taken down is not weak imo but flopping is.

I agree. Other than laying down and hoping your opponent hops into it, there is nothing wrong with pulling guard in competition. I know guys who are absolute wizards from the guard, to say that its cheap is to label one of the staple positions of BJJ as such. IMO the guard is the great equalizer, and its my favorite place to work from.

Guys, he's playing by the same rules you are. Submission isn't the only way to win, they have points.

Even if, hypothetically, his plan was to take down, stall, and when in danger, stand up (assuming he can always do that) then he's playing a good game. Stop playing with imaginary rules of honour and such. The rules of the tournements you go to allow this to happen, so it will remain a valid strategy unless the rules change.

How is buttscooting lame? if there's no rules against it, it's legal and valid. It might not be exciting to some, but it can be a winning tactic. Either adjust your game so that the opponent can't win that way, or shut up.

I don't see how someone can live with themselves being a point player.

sproggdawg said:
you think pulling guard is a weakness....? :eek:
Im assuming you mean just laying down immediately after the match starts and hoping the other guy jumps into your guard right?

yes, i was refering to just sitting down into your guard as soon as the match start, a la barret yoshida. however, barret has ill jiu jitsu and adopts the, "if i don't submit you, ill probably lose on points" mentality that i think jiu jitsu is all about...so i still like him 1000X more than control/takedown oriented grapplers like monson, kerr, etc.

i guess what im trying to say is i like versatile and well-rounded grapplers like leo viera and marcelo who have good standup, groundwork (top and bottom), and are submission-oriented.

edit: i'd also like to add that the only thing worse than a buttscooter is someone who is afraid to get into the guard.

What is the matter with you fools?! You compete to win. If you dont like the way you are able to win within the rules then make sure that they change the rules. It really isnt harder than that.

Back