Movies (Opinion) Tony Montana is an overrated criminal protagonist.

Marlo is 2x a better gangster then Stringer and Tony. He took over the game, got pop by the police and didn't snitch on anybody and still walk away from the game a Free man and 10 Million dollars to start a brand new life. He reach the Top and Cashed out quick.
He ended up with a good deal. But they made it clear he was going to fuck it all up at the end. So while he was a good gangsta, that's all he was. He didn't have the mentality to accept a good deal like Prop Joe.

Tony started a war with an international drug lord because he refused to kill a woman or a child.

Stuck to his word about not breaking his word or balls for anybody.

I'll take Tony sir :)
That was the most interesting part of the movie, that it was the inverse of the Greek tragic hero having a fatal flaw that was bad, well, his was good.

I love the movie and the performances. I don't like how some people didn't get it worshipped Tony, the character was meant to be tragic and it was a morality tale.

Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay and it was made before he was a really big name. I think he mentioned that he was on coke too at the time.

The other thing I love was that it was funny as hell, Tony Montana is a nut, i like when a newscaster uses the term "no one can put their finger in the dike" and Tony, "what the fuck!" But the funniest scene was when Sosa gets mad at him and calls him a monkey, it was so dramatic and tense that it turned comical with that one word. (Sosa, the actor died of AIDS).

I knew a boxer from Cuba who was on that boatlift, he was a convicted murderer in cuba, I remember he seemed very much like tony, Impulsive, loud, brash but in looking him up a few years ago, he seemed to be well loved even though homeless at the time of his death. He was hit by a car in a nearby town. The simple truth is that if people don't have a good life, they want a better one and that maybe they aren't totally evil just because they had a rough start.

That was the most interesting part of the movie, that it was the inverse of the Greek tragic hero having a fatal flaw that was bad, well, his was good.

I love the movie and the performances. I don't like how some people didn't get it worshipped Tony, the character was meant to be tragic and it was a morality tale.

Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay and it was made before he was a really big name. I think he mentioned that he was on coke too at the time.

The other thing I love was that it was funny as hell, Tony Montana is a nut, i like when a newscaster uses the term "no one can put their finger in the dike" and Tony, "what the fuck!" But the funniest scene was when Sosa gets mad at him and calls him a monkey, it was so dramatic and tense that it turned comical with that one word. (Sosa, the actor died of AIDS).

I knew a boxer from Cuba who was on that boatlift, he was a convicted murderer in cuba, I remember he seemed very much like tony, Impulsive, loud, brash but in looking him up a few years ago, he seemed to be well loved even though homeless at the time of his death. He was hit by a car in a nearby town. The simple truth is that if people don't have a good life, they want a better one and that maybe they aren't totally evil just because they had a rough start.

My man.
You get what I'm saying sir.

I didn't know Sosa died of aids, that's fuckin awful.
He was excellent in that role.

Tony is just trying to have that better life, but he goes about it the only way he knows how to which is his biggest flaw.

He reverts back to who he was in cuba...a killer that thinks he has to go the wrong way to make it.
Impulsing, brash, and absolutely out of his mind...with a broken way of showing love... to everyone including his his sister.

Some people say he wanted to fuck his sister...which couldn't be further from the truth.
He just didn't want her to be fucked by anyone, and being a mad man shows that in a distorted way.

Not killing the woman and kid shows that no matter how fucked up he was he would not do certain things...thus showing morals, and also show compassion... something he has a difficult time showing even the ones closest to him.

He's a broken toy that works now and then, and it's both sad and funny at the same time.
He lives by a code, and as fucked uo as that code is.. he still sticks to it.

It's when his sister gets killed that he really loses his shit, and couple that with being on massive amounts of cocaine...rational thinking goes right out the window.

I feel that people get lost in the money and power when they watch that film, but if you really think about it... he's little a child in a man's body.
Just impulsive, wants love, and don't know how to get it so he takes it...be he's a man that's emotionally fucked from his former life.

His character is meant to show, that even though he's a lunatic he has 10% good left in him...which is both tragic and funny.

Glad someone else sees it too lol.

Great movie but Frank makes Tony his b*tch!

MV5BMjFmZGI2YTEtYmJhMS00YTE5LWJjNjAtNDI5OGY5ZDhmNTRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAwMTU1MTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Frank turned snitch though. Tony was actually about that life.

I always though Sosa was the real criminal to admire

Smart
Calculated
Intact family
Intact empire
Did not abuse his own drugs
Has Tony executed with hit squad (Frank even told Tony if they cross Sosa he will send a death squad to come kill them)

Sosa is in Bolivia that country will not prosecute drug criminals like the US was in the 80s. So who wouldnt rather be Sosa? You are more insulated and protected

efb7f08ac708023cd2d4814931a86974.jpg

He was also like 4 inch taller and better looking.

Tony Montana was just an angry insecure manlet.

Back