Movies (Opinion) Tony Montana is an overrated criminal protagonist.

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TLDR: Tony was hot-tempered and impulsive. There are better examples of crime bosses.

iCx7UKr.png

Now here me out, Scarface is a legendary movie, and Tony Montana is a classic character. I love that movie. However, I think people put some extras on him.

Reading the thread title you may think "no shit, he's a drug lord/criminal" but I mean even in the context of "bad guys" my man is a bit overrated.

Scarface (1983) sorta made a comeback in the early to mid-2000s. Every dude in the hood had some Scarface poster, Hawaiian shirt, or Nokia cellphone cover!

I think a lot of his praise comes from principles such as "I dun break muh balls or words for nobody!" (Paraphrasing) "Jool never see another bad guy like me, mayne!" in addition to his rags to riches story that probably inspired (at least in part) the 3D Grand Theft Auto series. This character's hustle and principles made him a favorite.

With that said... Tony was terrible when he finally made it. His short fuse, black out rage, and erratic behavior was his downfall. Even if he didn't make the mistakes that ultimately led to him getting killed, Tony would've never lasted that long in his position.

Some better examples (which of course they aren't perfect either):

Walter White (Breaking Bad) - He was careful and cunning. Of course his hubris ultimately got the better of him.

Stringer Bell - He was very cautious and managed his enterprise well, unfortunately, at the end his ruthlessness came back to haunt him.

I don't think Tony is revered by fans of the film as a master strategist once he reached the top. The movie is basically a cautionary tale about indulging in excess as the boss - drugs, emotions, impulsiveness, etc. - and where that gets you as opposed to someone like Vito or Michael Corleone who keep things together.

I think the movie points the audience toward Sosa as the smart boss and even Manny as the more measured character at Tony's level.

IMHO I do not think he was overrated, he was just a 1 trick pony in that he had more balls than anyone else, and that got him to the top, and also what ended him. Live and die by the sword type of mentality, but he went out like a champ for sure,

I mean he was warned by his boss to not reach for skies and paid the price

Coolest criminal protagonist is hardys from lawless imo

Or from drop

He was given good advice by Sosa, Manny and Frank. He ignored all of them.

Those other crime bosses should have been more fun characters if they wanted more attention.

Scarface-GIF.gif

tumblr_mkea8kY0TI1qifm00o3_500.gif

I mean he was warned by his boss to not reach for skies and paid the price

Coolest criminal protagonist is hardys from lawless imo

Or from drop
My favorite line: “I warned you not to fuck me, Tony!”

Does anyone else think that it wasn’t the best strategy to go after the activist as a successful assassination would always elevate the attention on the drug business?

Gotta agree with @Alphaboy. Scarface, as a character, is overrated.

Other 'criminal overlord' characters show their humanity early to get the audience to relate to him, but Tony Montana is MOSTLY a piece of shit from the start with little humanity.

His fans have to cherry-pick his better moments throughout the 3-hour movie and say 'See!?! He's a GOOD guy!' But they should stick to him being an 'interesting character' though I'd still say he'a one-dimensional.

He was certainly a cunt

TLDR: Tony was hot-tempered and impulsive. There are better examples of crime bosses.

iCx7UKr.png

Now here me out, Scarface is a legendary movie, and Tony Montana is a classic character. I love that movie. However, I think people put some extras on him.

Reading the thread title you may think "no shit, he's a drug lord/criminal" but I mean even in the context of "bad guys" my man is a bit overrated.

Scarface (1983) sorta made a comeback in the early to mid-2000s. Every dude in the hood had some Scarface poster, Hawaiian shirt, or Nokia cellphone cover!

I think a lot of his praise comes from principles such as "I dun break muh balls or words for nobody!" (Paraphrasing) "Jool never see another bad guy like me, mayne!" in addition to his rags to riches story that probably inspired (at least in part) the 3D Grand Theft Auto series. This character's hustle and principles made him a favorite.

With that said... Tony was terrible when he finally made it. His short fuse, black out rage, and erratic behavior was his downfall. Even if he didn't make the mistakes that ultimately led to him getting killed, Tony would've never lasted that long in his position.

Walter White (Breaking Bad) - He was careful and cunning. Of course his hubris ultimately got the better of him.

Stringer Bell - He was very cautious and managed his enterprise well, unfortunately, at the end his ruthlessness came back to haunt him.

Walter white blew up a building in broad daylight, killed a little kid so he could control his so called friend....got thst same friend kidnapped.

Ummm yeah...bad example.

Sick of hearing about stringer bell. Most overrated character in television history. His whole arc concluded on the fact that he had no idea what he was doing at all. Seriously dont know what people see in that character.

iCx7UKr.png

I always though Sosa was the real criminal to admire

Smart
Calculated
Intact family
Intact empire
Did not abuse his own drugs
Has Tony executed with hit squad (Frank even told Tony if they cross Sosa he will send a death squad to come kill them)

Sosa is in Bolivia that country will not prosecute drug criminals like the US was in the 80s. So who wouldnt rather be Sosa? You are more insulated and protected

efb7f08ac708023cd2d4814931a86974.jpg

Last edited:
Back