Open palm " jabbing " should be a foul.

tumblr_lkou624Kfb1qjvaewo1_500.gif

D97zy.jpg

Get over it dude. There are situations where you will definitely accidentally poke your opponent in the eye. It is a fight. Things happen. If you are blatantly sticking your fingers in your opponents eyes a la Jon Jones, that is dangerous. If you are getting punched in the face and just trying to escape the flurry, it's gonna happen. Referee discretion for all fouls has to be in place.

Lol at the poster above, strong blind worship. Jones definitely eye poked rampage

No he didnt you fool. Did the gif that says "Eye Poke" over and over convince you of that? There was no actual poke though, just Rampage complaining like he attempt to complain about getting kicked in the knee to the ref.

Agreed about point deduction. Same thing for nutshots. Damage done affects the rest of the bout. Eyepokes are especially dangerous and some refs warn mid-fight not to paw out but they are often ignored.

Open paws are scary, especially when you're like Jake Shields and can't decide if you're gonna punch or grab and end up poking a guy's eye.

No he didnt you fool. Did the gif that says "Eye Poke" over and over convince you of that? There was no actual poke though,

Do you watch mma or just look at gifs?

There is one change they could make which would instantly make the fighters much more careful.

Just give them an instant point deduction for an eyepoke even if it's an accident.

It's not the same as other fouls... a nasty eye gouge has the potential to blind somebody and should be treated extremely seriously.

Agreed about point deduction. Same thing for nutshots. Damage done affects the rest of the bout. Eyepokes are especially dangerous and some refs warn mid-fight not to paw out but they are often ignored.

These arguments arent making sense. The thread starter is an obvious troll, but you are probably being serious. Why not an instant point deduction for grabbing the fence too? You can't accidentally grab the fence, your mind has to consciously tell your hands to grab the fence. Grabbing the fence is just as likely to change the outcome of a fight.

It HAS to be at the refs discretion. If it was an instant point deduction, we would see guys diving in to these attacks during close fights. It is incredibly easy to jump in to a nutshot, or grab your eye and fall to the ground when an opponent punches you where the ref can't see it. It would just mess up the whole game and encourage diving like in other sports.

I bet we'd see alot less "accidental eye pokes" if the ref took a point for them.

This is the only thing i really hate about the rules. I can even understand an accidental nutshot while throwing a leg kick but this i can't. The refs need to be taking points away for eyepokes period

Accidental eye pokes are totally possible. Heck, I've even accidentally poked myself in the eye!

Anyway, eyepokes are hard to spot in the UFC because they happen quick so we just have to take a fighters word for it when he pulls back and grabs his eye that his eye has been poked. We the viewer get to see the replay and see that it was real, but a ref only knows he needs to protect the fighter so he has to take his word in that moment. If eyepoke = immediate point deduction you won't see many intentional eye-pokes, but you will start seeing a whole bunch of fighters pretending to be poked in the eye.

I bet we'd see alot less "accidental eye pokes" if the ref took a point for them.

We'd see a lot less of everything. Nobody would even want to throw a punch to the eye during a close fight because they would be afraid the opponent would say they got poked in the eye, and the refs can't see every angle and have to trust the fighters to be honest a lot. Some of them will say "I didn't see it", but when it is something like instant point deductions, there will be so much inconsistency between refs. Some of them will be more afraid to call it because of changing the fight so drastically, and others will be more afraid not to call it.

... Why not an instant point deduction for grabbing the fence too? You can't accidentally grab the fence, your mind has to consciously tell your hands to grab the fence. Grabbing the fence is just as likely to change the outcome of a fight.

Yeah right.. and you call me a troll

Agreed.

how many times can you poke someone in the eye before getting penalized for it? Seriously.

I say if the ref keeps warning you to keep your fingers away from the opponents eyes and you refuse to listen and it pokes the guy's eye, automatic point deduction.

Before we know it any time fighters are throwing flurries of punchs one will run away grabbing his eye pretending he got poked. It would become like flopping in soccer, as they say "hey it's part of the game"

^ Oh look more stuff showing Jones NOT poking anyone.

Do you watch mma or just look at gifs?

You should be asking your self that, cause you cant post one picture or gif or video or anything of Rampage getting poked by Jones.

Accidental eye pokes are totally possible. Heck, I've even accidentally poked myself in the eye!

Anyway, eyepokes are hard to spot in the UFC because they happen quick so we just have to take a fighters word for hit when he pulls back and grabs his eye that his eye as been poked. We the viewer get to see the replay and see that it was real, but a ref only know she needs to protect the fighter so he has to take his word in that moment. If eyepoke = immediate point deduction you won't see many intentional eye-pokes, but you will start seeing a whole bunch of fighters pretending to be poked in the eye.

Exactly correct. Even if the fingers don't extend, the fighter just has to claim he got the thumb to the eye. In a close up fight against the cage, the ref can only watch 1 side of the action. If the fighter punches to the head on the opposite side, the fighter can claim he got a thumb to the eye. Even on replay that is hard to see sometimes. The refs are going to be worrying so much about whether to call it or not, it will mess everything up.

And the reason eye pokes happen, is because fighters NEED to use their fingers sometimes. You shouldn't be measuring distance and keeping your opponent away with an outstretched hand, but for grappling, you definitely need to be able to use your fingers. That is why we don't have closed gloves. If 1 fighter goes to grab his opponents head or shoulders, and that opponent moves, accidental eye pokes can happen.

I have no problem with pawing to find your range, boxers do it all the time. Paw with your damn hand closed though. Otherwise you're creating an unfair advantage with the threat of an eyepoke.

That wouldn't be pawing.

I disagree with your stance. Nothing currently legal in MMA should be made illegal.

Back