Open palm " jabbing " should be a foul.

This isn't just Jones doing this people.

Josh Kosecheck
Jake Shields
Kevin Burns
Jones

Tons of guys do this. You will notice though that actually skilled strikers like Nick Diaz or Silva paw with their fist closed.

Ahh,

Skilled strikers dont do that ??

There you have it folks.

You cant ban something you dont like, its done in MMA for a variety of things that dont consist of eye poking.

Shalom

The way Jones does it should be a foul. (has resulted in many eyepokes)

The way Diaz does it should not. He paws to grab the other guys hands. (has never resulted in an eyepoke ever ever)

You sir have obviously NEVER done any stand-up, or martial arts in your life.

super-computer-nerd.jpeg

bang.

this dude nailed it.

this post is of the biggest crybaby posts ever.

you stated your opinion TS,

AND NO. NOONE AGREES WITH YOU.

and it nver an "unfair advantage" if 2 people can legally do it.

and yeah, i get it.

I dont like JJ either.

oh well. hes the best til someone whups him.

i hate more rules, totally lame.

For clarification I mean open handed jabs when striking on the feet.

I've noticed many range fighters like to paw out their lead hand with their hand open/fingers extended. This is used to gain a little bit more range and control but is also a constant threat of an eye poke. A large portion the of eye pokes we see in MMA are from a fighter pawing with an open hand and the other guy trying to get inside the reach and running into a finger.

I know refs will warn about it if you make contact on the face but that isn't enough. It's an unfair advantage for the rangier fighter to keep his opponent at an extra distance with the threat of an eye poke.

Another thing with an open hand is it's much harder to get inside of. Unlike a jab you can just hover your hand in front of the opponents face, making it nearly impossible to slip and makes it a huge risk of getting poked in the eye if you come forward.

I know one argument is going to be that no, because eye pokes are already illegal. Problem is since pawing with an open hand is a legal move, eye pokes are almost ALWAYS going to be ruled accidental, even though the the person who eye poked was using it specifically to gain an extra range and distance control advantage.

Just to clarify I'm advocating for it to be a foul for you to put your fingers in someones face period, regardless of whether it results in an eye poke. Also with this way any time an eye poke occurs it's also ruled a foul, because you broke to rules of having an open hand in an opponents face.

If that's a foul then every fight in the early Pancrase events would not have been legal in the UFC.

Yet, they didn't have too many eye pokes.

Hand fighting is an important, even integral part of the mma striking and clinch game. Not allowing open palms would be a travesty. People would try to cover the lead hand to stop the jab and their opponents would cry foul to the refs.

Interesting proposition but I think it would take away too much.

That and I also think fighters on top control who put an open hand to the opponent's face should lose their position and be stood up.

But it is used for distancing solely due to the illegal threat of an eye poke.

You can still control distance and range with a closed fisted jab just like boxers. The only reason you would choose to use an open hand would be to add in more control and distance DUE to the threat of an eye poke.

Who told you this? If so may you please post the source?

Boxing does it with close fists because they have no choice. THEY ARE WEARING GLOVES. In MMA, the hand being open makes the distance even longer.

Plus stopping a fight or deducting a point just because a fight opens up his hands would add more complications into the mix.

This is supposed to be MMA. It has enough rules as is.

Good well thought out post but no.

You cannot take away an effective move used for distancing just because of accidental circumstances involved with it.

Why not? Other sports leagues make rule changes to address accidental circumstances like this all the time.

No matter what they ban or foul Jones will still win. He's just better than the average fighter. People need to come to terms with that.

oversensitive jones fans lol.

people were doing this before jones and it was just as messed up when they did it too. The first guy that came to mind when I opened this thread was koscheck.

Because it is only worth mentioning since Jon Jones destroyed all of their favorite PRIDE fighters. Fighters from PRIDE (CroCop) can do this with no backlash.

what are you babbling about this time? :icon_neut

Come on now TS, you know that you can't make the gesture illegal (Gomi/Jones examples are good ones). That's just silly talk. What they could do is be much harsher in dishing out warnings and penalties when a guy sticks his fingers in the area around the eyes. 2 warnings and then it's a point deduction.

The supposition that Jones does that because of the threat of an eye poke is ridiculous. He does that every time he gets in trouble to keep his distance standing and puts his hand out as a vice.

Let's not play stupid here. JBJ deliberately keeps his fingers at his opponents eye level and there have been plenty of gifs actually showing JBJ blatantly follow his opponents eyes with his open hand when they were trying to move their head in an attempt NOT to get eye poked. It's a cheap move/trick.

This isn't just Jones doing this people.

Josh Kosecheck
Jake Shields
Kevin Burns
Jones

Tons of guys do this. You will notice though that actually skilled strikers like Nick Diaz or Silva paw with their fist closed.

forgot about burns. He's one of the worst.

If they don't poke the eye, it's not a foul.

If a fighter commits an eye poke, the ref has the right to warn them about open palm jabbing after that.

If they don't poke the eye, it's not a foul.

If a fighter commits an eye poke, the ref has the right to warn them about open palm jabbing after that.

there should be a more solid rule enforced really, it only takes one stray finger to end a fighters night

Let's not play stupid here. JBJ deliberately keeps his fingers at his opponents eye level and there have been plenty of gifs actually showing JBJ blatantly follow his opponents eyes with his open hand when they were trying to move their head in an attempt NOT to get eye poked. It's a cheap move/trick.

Let's not play stupid here. And ignore that Jones turns his palms/fingers up when they get close to avoid poking anyone. Exactly why he has NEVER poked anyone.

This is what Jones does:

fingers2.gif

fingers3.gif

He's not trying to poke anyone, he uses this as defense and for range.

Now go find a fighter that Does it wrong and pokes fighters in the eyes, there are tons of them... dont use the one that does it right, and has never poked anyone.

Last edited:
All eyepokes should result in an automatic point deduction. There is no such thing as an accidental eye poke - fighters have no bussiness sticking their fingers into their opponents face. All eyepokes are very dangerous and in most cases make a significant impact on the course of the rest of the fight. A lot of eyepokes result in very dangerous injuries that are career threatning.
This tactic would solve the problem of eyepokes.

When a fighter blatantly has his fingers pointed at an opponents face they should start losing points. That's like a fighter making you drop your guard by threatning with low blows, ridiculous

Lol at the poster above, strong blind worship. Jones definitely eye poked rampage

Back