Open palm " jabbing " should be a foul.

Agreed, eyepokes as well as low blows should be punished without warning with a point deduction since they affect the outcome of the fight directly, either giving the losing fighter a chance for a comeback or a dominant fighter a chance to catch his breath.

Most eye pokes you see in MMA are definitely accidental. Don't believe me, take boxing. Have your coach move the the focus mit just a little bit as you try to hit it. You will discover it is really hard to land a punch when that focus mit is moving just a little bit. Now draw a circle about the size of an eye on that focus mit, have your coach move it, and try to put your finger in that circle. You won't succeed!

Eye - poke should equal warning. I'd be okay with calling a second eye - poke a point deduction because the person isn't closing his fists when he should be.

You should be asking your self that, cause you cant post one picture or gif or video or anything of Rampage getting poked by Jones.

Lol someone just posted proof of Jones clawing at both Shoguns and Machidas faces.

Plus even if you refuse to believe Jones has eye poked anyone (lol) the point wasn't even about actual eye poking. The THREAT of eye pokes is still clear as day, and the argument is whether or not this should be allowed.

Accidental eye pokes are totally possible. Heck, I've even accidentally poked myself in the eye!

Anyway, eyepokes are hard to spot in the UFC because they happen quick so we just have to take a fighters word for it when he pulls back and grabs his eye that his eye has been poked. We the viewer get to see the replay and see that it was real, but a ref only knows he needs to protect the fighter so he has to take his word in that moment. If eyepoke = immediate point deduction you won't see many intentional eye-pokes, but you will start seeing a whole bunch of fighters pretending to be poked in the eye.

Before we know it any time fighters are throwing flurries of punchs one will run away grabbing his eye pretending he got poked. It would become like flopping in soccer, as they say "hey it's part of the game"

1. the refs should be able to look at the replay (atleast on the big screen) while the fighter recuperates and then make the call. I think i've seen some refs already do this kind of thing

2. if a fighter did this he would have to face the onslaught of the MMA community cause on the replay everybody woulsd see that he was faking

Agreed.

how many times can you poke someone in the eye before getting penalized for it? Seriously.

I say if the ref keeps warning you to keep your fingers away from the opponents eyes and you refuse to listen and it pokes the guy's eye, automatic point deduction.

That isn't the argument here, so you don't agree with the original post.

The original post is asking for instant point deductions, no matter what, saying it is absolutely impossible for someone to accidentally get poked in the eye during a fight.

No warnings necessary, just instant point deduction. That is what the OP wants. And that is garbage. How many fights do you see with multiple eye pokes from the same fighter, without point deductions?

Deter the fakers via instant replay. Why can't they improve the rules more quickly and frequently? Multiple viewing angle monitors for the judges. Safer gloves that cover the fingers with pudgy silicone tips.

Lol someone just posted proof of Jones clawing at both Shoguns and Machidas faces.

Plus even if you refuse to believe Jones has eye poked anyone (lol) the point wasn't even about actual eye poking. The THREAT of eye pokes is still clear as day, and the argument is whether or not this should be allowed.

And now ignoring anything you have to say, either trolling or dumb as hell.

Agreed.

how many times can you poke someone in the eye before getting penalized for it? Seriously.

I say if the ref keeps warning you to keep your fingers away from the opponents eyes and you refuse to listen and it pokes the guy's eye, automatic point deduction.

This

You're seeing 'clawing' where I'm seeing 'pawing'. Even in the first picture where Shogun is coming forward, you can see Jones' fingers straighten out where even if his fingertips hit at the right level they'd do little more than brush at his eyes. And the Machida pic is almost straight up palming. How the hell can you see him 'clawing' at Machida's eyes? Cripes people. Jones isn't Shields, Kos, or even Davis. If the way Jones paws out was as seriously illegal as people insist it is, there'd be fucking hosts of more eye poke incidents.

2. if a fighter did this he would have to face the onslaught of the MMA community cause on the replay everybody woulsd see that he was faking[/QUOTE]

Didn't Cro Cop do this against JDS? He took a hard close fisted punch to the eye and ran away holding his eye. Not sure if he was trying to sell an eye poke, but ref stopped the fight regardless.

Who cares if it was accidental? The damage was done and the perpetrator of the foul is at an advantage.

What if there was something like KJ Noons vs Jorge Gurgel where KJ connected on a full power, full wind up punch that dropped Gurgel possibly after the bell, but what if it was clearly after the bell and that was the only significant strike landed and it KO'd Gurgel after the bell. Gurgel was then clearly at a disadvantage due to the foul and has to answer the bell for subsequent rounds after he was already KO'd. It's going to hinder his performance going forward.

That isn't the argument here, so you don't agree with the original post.

The original post is asking for instant point deductions, no matter what, saying it is absolutely impossible for someone to accidentally get poked in the eye during a fight.

No warnings necessary, just instant point deduction. That is what the OP wants. And that is garbage. How many fights do you see with multiple eye pokes from the same fighter, without point deductions?

So basically what you're saying is even if this rule was implemented the number of eye pokes in fights wouldn't change much cause they are all accidental and it can't be helped?

1. the refs should be able to look at the replay (atleast on the big screen) while the fighter recuperates and then make the call. I think i've seen some refs already do this kind of thing

2. if a fighter did this he would have to face the onslaght of the MMA community cause on the replay everybody woulsd see that he was faking

Instant replay is another completely different argument now that you want to be included, and it isn't always conclusive either. Look at football. It can be replayed 50 times and the call is still very inconclusive, so they have to have a rule which says "you need evidence to overturn the decision on the field".

From 1 angle, it could very well look like the guy got a finger to the eye, but from another angle, you might see that he didn't. What if there isn't an angle on the inside because they are close up against the cage? That is where most "flops" would happen. Ref on right side, punch to the left side, opponent says he got a thumb to the eye. Instant replay wouldn't be able to catch that clear enough to help the ref.

So then, you would have more refs NOT calling it, because of the instant point reduction, and people could be more likely to get away with a real eye poke, and the opponent wouldn't get any time to recover. And because there is no definitive replay, fans are torn about who is telling the truth.

In the middle of a fight, you can't blame a fighter for thinking he got poked in the eye when he is getting punched in the head. There is obvious faking/diving, but eventually guys would become pros at it and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

"I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my eye, and it went blurry, it felt like I got poked, so I motioned to the ref."

Are you going to tell him he DIDN'T feel that as he was getting punched in the head?

So basically what you're saying is even if this rule was implemented the number of eye pokes in fights wouldn't change much cause they are all accidental and it can't be helped?

How do you figure that is what I said? Oh , because you are a stupid troll wasting everyones time.

2. if a fighter did this he would have to face the onslaught of the MMA community cause on the replay everybody woulsd see that he was faking

Didn't Cro Cop do this against JDS? He took a hard close fisted punch to the eye and ran away holding his eye while the ref stopped the fight temporarily then let it continue.[/QUOTE]

Crocop didn't fake anything or claim eyepoke. He got kneed or punched in the eye, then ref called it a TKO ending it.

James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara was the one where Irvin claimed eyepoke where it was actually a closed fisted punch.

Lmao at the worst offender Never actually poking anyone while doing it, or while any type of stand up ever. More cry baby fans.
How many eye pokes is Jones guilty of?
We all know Jones is a cheater. He should be banned until he has his arms and legs surgically shortened.

You are missing the point of what he's doing. He's threatening the eye poke constantly to keep his opponents at bay. No one is going to voluntarily step in and gouge their own eyes.

And now ignoring anything you have to say, either trolling or dumb as hell.

Same to you, my post was correct and you can't argue against it.

Still missed the entire point of the thread and keep saying 'jones doesn't eye poke!' for no apparent reason.

Don't take it hard we were all new to mma at one point.

How do you figure that is what I said? Oh , because you are a stupid troll wasting everyones time.

Well i think i'm done talking to you cause you don't even seem to know what you're saying or you're obviously trolling. Either way you're the dumbass.

Didn't Cro Cop do this against JDS? He took a hard close fisted punch to the eye and ran away holding his eye. Not sure if he was trying to sell an eye poke, but ref stopped the fight regardless.

Excellent example of why this is all such a stupid idea. When a fighter punches you in the eye, especially a guy like JDS, it is hard to tell exactly what happened. You are seeing stars, your vision is blurry, and you have to make a split second decision about what happened. You can't hate on a guy for thinking he got poked in the eye and motioning to the ref. It is the refs job to decide whether to stop the action or not, and not the fighters. You would just be adding more pressure on the refs, who are already incredibly inconsistent.

In a close fight, imagine the title changing happens because of a point deduction on an eye poke that isn't clear. There would be so many angry people. Instead, lets just have a FIGHT. Fouls are in place SPECIFICALLY to avoid people PURPOSELY doing them. That is why fighters are given warnings.

Would you really want to see a fight where fighters just attempted to get fouled enough to win a fight? Some guys don't care about anything but the win. They really don't care if people hate them. They have a family to feed, and if that means diving into an eye poke or nut shot, so be it.

Quick way to ruin MMA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back