One more reason local funding for public schools needs to change.

This is a typical school for elementary pinheads in Houston:
berrycenterall1.gif

It looks like a fuckin Univeristy. Every time a new one pops up its twice the size of any previous one.

And yet the Chinese are still better at math.

I mean look at this, by the time their 6 the Chinese can do Algebra and Karate Chops!
chinese-primary-students-school2.jpg

Didn't take a huge new school neither either!

When parents don't give a shit their children don't give a shit. Schools with awful students are failing because the parents are pieces of shit.

Don't blame the schools, and don't force me to pay extra for students who don't even give a fuck. Baltimore spends more money on their students than pretty much any city in the US, and their students still suck ass because the parents are shit. Baltimore has swallowed tens of billions of federal aide and the place is still a hell hole. No amount of money can fix broken culture.
This^

berrycenterall1.gif

It looks like a fuckin Univeristy. Every time a new one pops up its twice the size of any previous one.

I mean look at this, by the time their 6 the Chinese can do Algebra and Karate Chops!

That building is unreal man.

berrycenterall1.gif

Bingo!

These buildings... just polishing a turd and wondering why it's still shit.

You get out of education what you put into it.

I'm all for beating math and science into children.

Not so much for putting millions of dollars into a building (unless previous building seriously needed some work).

My school was moved because of an earthquake fault was found underneath it. We were moved into "portables." Our entire school was essentially just double wide trailers. The poor circumstances of our buildings did not hold us back as a school. I lived in a nice mountain town filled with responsible families who took education seriously. Our scores were pretty much at the top of the nation.

Success starts with the family. Without strong families no community or school can thrive. Spending immense amount of money will do absolutely nothing.

Yet...

Public schools have become a pet interest of mine since I had a kid. I'm frequently surprised by the general failings of our system to properly educate the poorest among us. The quality of teachers, facilities, etc. are all directly proportional to the wealth of the surrounding neighborhoods.

Now, I live in a solid neighborhood with parents who send their kids to $30k preschools (which is insane to me) and $40k elementary schools. But I'm a product of public schools and think we need to take them more seriously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...under-investment-in-nations-school-buildings/
http://www.oecd.org/edu/innovation-education/disparitiesinspendingonuspublicschoolfacilities.htm

Change funding-Absolutely. Increase funding-No. The US spends more $ per student than any country in the world by some distance.

Much much smaller school boards. Fewer superintendents and AS's, less management. The money needs to be with the teachers and the schools. Stop consolidating vendors. Stop this consortium buying bullshit. That is how collusion, corruption, and cronyism take root. Let principals sort out their own goods and services. Schools could send a clerk to Walmart and probably pay 40% less than what they are paying for just about anything. Plus you could then have half as many people employed at the boards. School boards should have a skeleton crew of brains for renovating and building new schools as needed.

Then you remove union concessions protecting teachers from accountability for poor performance. It is harder to fire a teacher than just about any other person in the country. Only 1 in 1000 teachers are fired for performance related reasons annually. Principals used to be fucking Gods. Now they are puppets. They need to become Gods again.

After that, you just remove all geographical boundaries. Lets the students go wherever they want and the money follows the student. Period, end of discussion. Bad models close and are reorganized. Good models grow.

The good part about this plan, Everywhere, EVERYWHERE is has been implemented, it has worked. Everywhere in the US, everywhere in the world.

Stop federal funding of schools. The Department of Education programs fail to acheive their goals as they can't seem to regulate how their grant money is spent. States should be open to creating more charter, magnet, and vocational schools to improve the public school system as needed. Parental involvement is of course the key to child development and learning. Without it how a school operates is nearly irrelevant.

I say abolish the Dept of Education. Let the local population use that money for their own schools.

You can start by criticizing teachers who unionize to grab an increasing share of wealth that is available to the kids.

"Like taking candy from a baby"

Teachers should be paid more.

They do all the actual work.

How much money actuslly hits the classroom after administration and behind the scenes people suck off every last drop. The classroom always sees the money last.

All teachers should unionize and demand better pay. Your post is beyond stupid.

All the people who assume they know more than the studies #whythingsnevergetbetter

If it's all about parental involvement, then it won't hurt kids in rich areas to take part of their school funding and give it to poor schools, right? Poor schools can then use that money to compensate limited parental involvement. Kids in poor areas will maybe do slightly better, and it won't hurt kids in rich areas because it's all about parental involvement. Everybody wins.

Imagine that, another sector funded, regulated, and operated by government is shit. Are we starting to see a pattern here WR? Probably not.The normalcy bias is strong with you!

Arizona Summit is generating an average student debt of $190,000 and yielding a 50% bar passage rate and a 40% JD-employment rate. And most of the small portion who do get JD jobs get paid at $40,000 a year, so even they have little hope of ever paying off their debt. Yay, private sector!

Yes. It's only saving grace. Imagine the complete lack of control parents would have if it were federalized.

Probably the same control they have now: some over the faculty, none over government mandates.

The only influence parents really have that, if they are poor, their kid's school is shit. If they're rich, their kid's school is awesome.

Arizona Summit is generating an average student debt of $190,000 and yielding a 50% bar passage rate and a 40% JD-employment rate. And most of the small portion who do get JD jobs get paid at $40,000 a year, so even they have little hope of ever paying off their debt. Yay, private sector!

Who's guaranteeing those student loans?

Probably the same control they have now: some over the faculty, none over government mandates.

The only influence parents really have that, if they are poor, their kid's school is shit. If they're rich, their kid's school is awesome.

What precedent are you going off of to suggest that's the case? Supposing that's true though, the difference then is with that situation the parents still have a choice, right?

I mean, the law market is super-saturated. I don't know what you're getting at here.

Yeah, it's a bad field to go into.

Richer neighborhoods will ALWAYS have better schooling.

In Finland it is illegal to charge tuition for education. there are almost no private schools.

the result?? Rich kids have to go to public schools. Those rich kids parents are now very invested in having those public schools be top notch.

Suddenly Finland is at the top of the public education ladder..... shocking....

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...gnoring-about-finlands-school-success/250564/

I mean, the law market is super-saturated. I don't know what you're getting at here.

Yeah, it's a bad field to go into.

He's just doing the statist thing of pointing out a misallocation in the private market to misdirect you from the gross misallocation the government creates. They have no honest arguments left. It's all just silliness, slander, and sociopathy.

Back