One more reason local funding for public schools needs to change.

LOL, the old you don't live here excuse

Well then, your sorry ass can never talk about women, the military, politics, and all the other shit you have never done or experienced.

talking about something is fine, daily obsessing to the point of delusion is another. He acts as if he lives here and he doesn't.

Don't worry about our public schools it has nothing to do with you. Especially when you obsess over it more than you obsess over your own countries schools

My point was (and I think you touched on it as well) that the method is less important than the focus. When an entire nation is untied in the goal, and the people are willing to put forth the effort and money, results will come.
I'd also prefer 5th place with happy well adjusted kids ;)

We already put forth the money, so that leaves what- effort- too many of our population is not putting forth the effort.

But Liberals don't like that answer. They think more money will magically make people give a shit. They want the easy answer and easy solution so that they feel like they are doing something.

You can't punish lazy parents, or parents that just don't give a shit. So how do you help those people? You can't.

But liberals want to believe they can solve and be apart of the solution, so the answer is always more money. And even in instances where more money has been given and shit doesn't change, they have the excuse, well if we had just given more!!!.

I believe that local funding for schools has an overall negative effect on the quality of overall public education. Specifically, the relationship between property taxes, housing prices and available funding. I think there are many examples where this relationship actually results in poor school districts actually getting worse. I wrote it here:

As for lowering the quality among the poor it's pretty much the exact result of our system. This is complicated but I'm going to try and simplify. When schools are funded by property taxes, school districts with higher property taxes have more money for funding. This means higher teacher pay and, generally, better facilities. This impacts academic outcomes. As a result, school districts with better outcomes attract more parents with children. This reduces the supply of housing around those schools and drives up housing prices. The result is that property taxes rise accordingly. This means more money, better outcomes, etc.

That's only half the conversation though. In the school districts with lower scores, housing demand goes down. This results in lower property taxes. Lower property taxes mean less funding for local schools. This means less money for teacher pay or renovations or other services that might impact academic outcomes. That means lower scores. Which lowers housing demand. Which results in lower property taxes. Repeat the cycle in both directions.

I do believe that people can and should allocate additional resources and/or improve standards in their own community. I don't believe that this should be accomplished through a local tax allocation program.

If ensuring that the entire population has access to a similar quality education is a state goal then the state shouldn't endorse a system that actually lowers quality in some schools. And that is my general contention, that this system actually results in lower quality. I know that the standard trope is that the people in poor communities don't care about their education or something similar (as if the majority of poor people are just waking up and saying "fuck trying"). But that's not true. And if it's not true then what is the explanation for perpetuating a system that specifically targets poor kids for a lower quality version of a public service?

Those 2 myths underlie a lot of the false belief that there is some culture where poor people simply don't care. And that belief, that they don't care, is used as an excuse to not take their needs more seriously.

LOl, I don't believe that for a second. Anyone can answer yes on a question. Poor person who doesn't give a fuck- do you care about education- yes-- but they don't do shit to help their kids education in any way possible. I'm not saying all poor people. But for a survey or study to say that the poor care just as much about education as the rich, is stupid.

Ever notice how every study nowdays says that every person agrees with everything on an absolutely equal basis. No one is smart than the other, or has any higher desires than another. The poor work just as hard as the rich, the stupid are really just as smart as the smart people, etc.

Amazing how every study nowadays comes out with everyone being equal on everything. No differences based on race, DNA, culture, wealth, intelligence, work ethic, etc.

I'm going to start a thread with just random statements and I'm going to see how long until someone post a study that somehow what I said is wrong and that whatever I was comparing is actually equal in all ways.

I'm going to start a thread with just random statements and I'm going to see how long until someone post a study that somehow what I said is wrong and that whatever I was comparing is actually equal in all ways.

Would be completely consistent with your current standard of coherency.

Richer neighborhoods will ALWAYS have better schooling.

No law will ever prevent people with money from Investing in their childs future.

Regarding private schools, um, we shouldnt compare schools that cost 30k a year to public schools.

Also, the more money a family has, the more likely you have housewives with no job,with plenty of time to volunteer and be involved.

Parent involvement is waaaaaay more important than the building, imo.
Oh leftists actually do ponder limiting family involvement since it privileges their children. Research suggests that reading your child bedtime stories has just as much or more positive outcome as does attending an elite private school. So having loving attentive parents is now seen as an unfair advantage by leftists. They openly discuss the state abolishing the family structure to bring everyone down to the same level.

Discussion begins @ 36:50
https://secure-ec.libsyn.com/p/1/4/...1ce3dae902ea1d06cf873ed7cc5c0d50&c_id=8930524

This is a typical school for elementary pinheads in Houston:
berrycenterall1.gif

It looks like a fuckin Univeristy. Every time a new one pops up its twice the size of any previous one.

And yet the Chinese are still better at math.

I mean look at this, by the time their 6 the Chinese can do Algebra and Karate Chops!
chinese-primary-students-school2.jpg

Didn't take a huge new school neither either!

Every industrialized nation puts their children through a faster education process in grade school. Their students learn everything sooner (e.g., algebra in the 3rd grade). Instead of fast-tracking students in grade school, America just tests its populus in universities where the standards are significantly higher, which seems to be working for us because America has had the most skilled workforce in the world (and has for a very long time).

I agree that there is no need to spend so much money on infrastructure, but it seems logical that schools would need to be bigger as populations increase.

LOl, I don't believe that for a second. Anyone can answer yes on a question. Poor person who doesn't give a fuck- do you care about education- yes-- but they don't do shit to help their kids education in any way possible. I'm not saying all poor people. But for a survey or study to say that the poor care just as much about education as the rich, is stupid.

Ever notice how every study nowdays says that every person agrees with everything on an absolutely equal basis. No one is smart than the other, or has any higher desires than another. The poor work just as hard as the rich, the stupid are really just as smart as the smart people, etc.

Amazing how every study nowadays comes out with everyone being equal on everything. No differences based on race, DNA, culture, wealth, intelligence, work ethic, etc.

Your first paragraph is already answered in the post you quoted. Poor people don't do as much to help their kids (this is true) but the post states that the reason they don't do as much is because they don't have the same amount of time to do so in the same fashion as wealthier people (this is ignored). People confuse amount of engagement with level of interest and then ignore the "why".

I don't know if you didn't read it or you just chose to ignore it. The information I quoted included citations. So, we're dismissing citations that say poor people care but believing hearsay that says they don't. Why? It makes more sense to update our understanding of people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tereotypes-about-poor-families-and-education/

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed...num07/The-Myth-of-the-Culture-of-Poverty.aspx

For example, here's a simple graph showing that the poor are working much more hours than they did 30 years ago, while the rich are only working slightly more hours.
kVQCSnRNVBZyLS5N0OWmrRMapxw4NP6rAAEXcplwpZlISaM7BuVMFRSRkmq0-lFbDqQzd6CIBkadEJIIWuiLeI1hB3HRfWOyGGyeaXn8LcEHQdKmir18oHrMDw

And studies don't say there are no differences based on race, DNA, culture, wealth, intelligence, work ethic. They say those differences are not what people believe they are. It's basically the human equivalent of learning that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth. We had an idea about these things but more information is demonstrating that our original ideas aren't correct.

Go back to when I first started posting on this forum and I was a big proponent of the "poor need to just work harder and give a damn," ideology. But the more research I've done, the more I've fact checked my own arguments, the less true I've come to realize that to be.

Poor people work hard but they stay poor for plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with work ethic. They made bad decisions when they were younger. They're simply not smart enough to out compete smarter people. They lack the networks to move into different environments. The modern economy has fewer opportunities to move between deciles. Capitalism demands that some people will be poor no matter how hard they work - except "poor" is relative. Poor here is pretty good somewhere else.

The core problem is that people want to believe that the differences in outcomes are primarily tied to some internal difference or measurable difference. THat it's either genetics or refusal to try that drives these outcomes. And whilte that's part of it. People don't want to acknowledege the elements that drive outcomes that no one has influence over. Things like luck and inherited advantages. For example: Two people are equally smart and equally driven but one person inherits a prosperous company, the other person doesn't. They'll have vastly different incomes and it has nothing to do with race, culture, DNA, work ethic, etc. Maybe the 2nd guy eventually gets there and his kids will inherit a prosperous company but he's never going to have the advantage that his counterpart had, even if his kids do. Or 2 equally driven kids but one's parents are learning the ropes of college admissions as they encounter it. The one kid's parents went to grad school and have been prepping for it since birth. Both kids will go to college but one is on track for Harvard and the other is on track for the state university. By the next generation, their children will be equally prepared but this generation they're not.

People talk about the poor as if it's like a caste system where the poor of today are the direct descendants of the poor from yesterday and their kids will be the poor of tomorrow. Hard working poor people who care about education don't turn into hard working rich people who care about education. Instead, they stay poor but their kids become the hard working middle class and rich people of the next generation.

Last edited:
You would be the main little bitch trying to post studies on how everyone is the same no matter what.

If you were not able to comprehend my previous post, I was implying that you're an incoherent moron. Just to be clear.

I have no idea about what class of studies you're talking about, but I firmly err on the side of empirical evidence versus the brazen opinions of imbeciles.

have to be a Constitutional Amendment then right? as it's not enumerated, it's a Reserve Power left up to the states. They then fund w/ both Federal Block Grants and local property taxes, producing the unequal system we have now.

Make it a Federal power, or at least a Mandated State power w/ guidelines and stipulations on how the money is allocated, where it comes from, etc...

This is perhaps the one 'redistribution' policy I am completely for.
Did you grow up in 29 palms? I thought you only resided there in the last couple of years?

For teaching to really change in America you have to have the ability to allow the problem students to be removed from the main classroom. This is most important where you find impoverished & poor areas. The kids there have more going against from the get go, the last thing they need is an insane classroom.

Teachers should be paid much more, it should be an elite profession in America. At the same time more will be asked of them. Better degrees through furthering their education, less online college degrees, also having to accept they might not be able to coach sports. Their focus will be classroom related. Staying after school is the norm, that time will be spent in the classroom with lagging students.

My girl is a teacher in a title 1 school (poor school, majority minority and illegal immigrants) in Maryland, a state which constantly ranks high in national rankings.

She says the number one issue is behavioral issues stemming from parents complete lack of involvement with the kids. They use apps these days to stay in contact with parents, so they know immediately when little Johnny does good or bad. Makes no difference. No shows at parent/teacher night etc.

Also doesn't help that half her class can't speak English or another percentage of them are special education kids, both requiring massive time resources to teach even basic concepts.

Students need to produce higher grades if they want better school funding. No point in wasting money on students that dont apply themselves.

Just kidding :)

Your first paragraph is already answered in the post you quoted. Poor people don't do as much to help their kids (this is true) but the post states that the reason they don't do as much is because they don't have the same amount of time to do so in the same fashion as wealthier people (this is ignored). People confuse amount of engagement with level of interest and then ignore the "why".

I don't know if you didn't read it or you just chose to ignore it. The information I quoted included citations. So, we're dismissing citations that say poor people care but believing hearsay that says they don't. Why? It makes more sense to update our understanding of people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tereotypes-about-poor-families-and-education/

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed...num07/The-Myth-of-the-Culture-of-Poverty.aspx

For example, here's a simple graph showing that the poor are working much more hours than they did 30 years ago, while the rich are only working slightly more hours.
kVQCSnRNVBZyLS5N0OWmrRMapxw4NP6rAAEXcplwpZlISaM7BuVMFRSRkmq0-lFbDqQzd6CIBkadEJIIWuiLeI1hB3HRfWOyGGyeaXn8LcEHQdKmir18oHrMDw

And studies don't say there are no differences based on race, DNA, culture, wealth, intelligence, work ethic. They say those differences are not what people believe they are. It's basically the human equivalent of learning that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth. We had an idea about these things but more information is demonstrating that our original ideas aren't correct.

Go back to when I first started posting on this forum and I was a big proponent of the "poor need to just work harder and give a damn," ideology. But the more research I've done, the more I've fact checked my own arguments, the less true I've come to realize that to be.

Poor people work hard but they stay poor for plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with work ethic. They made bad decisions when they were younger. They're simply not smart enough to out compete smarter people. They lack the networks to move into different environments. The modern economy has fewer opportunities to move between deciles. Capitalism demands that some people will be poor no matter how hard they work - except "poor" is relative. Poor here is pretty good somewhere else.

The core problem is that people want to believe that the differences in outcomes are primarily tied to some internal difference or measurable difference. THat it's either genetics or refusal to try that drives these outcomes. And whilte that's part of it. People don't want to acknowledege the elements that drive outcomes that no one has influence over. Things like luck and inherited advantages. For example: Two people are equally smart and equally driven but one person inherits a prosperous company, the other person doesn't. They'll have vastly different incomes and it has nothing to do with race, culture, DNA, work ethic, etc. Maybe the 2nd guy eventually gets there and his kids will inherit a prosperous company but he's never going to have the advantage that his counterpart had, even if his kids do. Or 2 equally driven kids but one's parents are learning the ropes of college admissions as they encounter it. The one kid's parents went to grad school and have been prepping for it since birth. Both kids will go to college but one is on track for Harvard and the other is on track for the state university. By the next generation, their children will be equally prepared but this generation they're not.

People talk about the poor as if it's like a caste system where the poor of today are the direct descendants of the poor from yesterday and their kids will be the poor of tomorrow. Hard working poor people who care about education don't turn into hard working rich people who care about education. Instead, they stay poor but their kids become the hard working middle class and rich people of the next generation.

I didn't get to read the studies, but how do you test something like how much people say they believe in education? If it is asking a question, then that is bullshit. What dumbass wants to be the one to say, nope I think education is bullshit. It's like how on all the "studies/surveys" people say they believe in diversity and multiculturalism but then what they actually do is the opposite. Also there is something to the saying, If it is really important to you, you find a way to make time for it. Or you make better decisions to help with what you "say" is important. You can't say something is important to you and then at every turn make decisions that make thing that much harder on you or whatever it is that you say is important to you.

How many poor people that say Education is important to them, have another kid (which makes it even harder for them top focus on the schooling of the kid they already have?). Caring about an issues is more than just saying it but then complaining that you don't have a lot of time to help yourself/kid. If you honestly care, you would make time and not make decisions that make it harder for you to care. The poor always have that excuse, I care but I'm poor so I just can't devote the time to helping my kid study, etc. So of course why bother, I'll g ahead and pop out more kids and make things even harder on myself but then I'll still say I care about education as I continua;;y do things to make it harder on myself and my children. BUT HEY, I SAY I CARE ABOUT EDUCATION!!!

Yes luck and advantage plays a part in it. But so does your parents not continually fucking up and not helping to give you that advantage or even the equality that you need to compete with everyone else. But that is my issue, no one ever wants to talk about shitty parents, because there is nothing that can be done about that. It's not against the law to be a shitty parent or bad parent or to just not give a fuck. So instead of attacking at the main issue, people say well lets try to get at it from the less important area. The biggest area is parental responsibility/help/guidance, but it is also the one that nothing can really be done about. So instead of focusing 80% of the issue, people make excuses and try to focus on 10 other factors that make up the other 20%.

Honestly Pan, I want to know what you think. Give me percentages. What percentage of a kids education/life/outcome is shitty parent versus racism versus other (luck,advantage, etc). Lets say we were able to fix the advantage part and even scale back the racism part, how much would the parental aspect play a part?

In NY you find 8 kids in a classroom of 25 who have parents who contribute to school tax.

There is a huge gap between the people who pay for school tax and the people who just use the system without contributing back.

Growing up all the single zoned homes now have 2 or more families in them.
This directly caused an increase in school tax and federal funding.
On long island, there are some many illegal children that the tax payers don't even come close to meeting the schools bottom line, federal funding Is a must.
The people using the system far out weight the people funding it.
The schools are deteriorating plumbing is old and show dangerous lead levels.
And every year 95% of schools go over budget and need more the following year.

Even the worst schools now have instant access to all of human knowledge from all of history. That's like 1,000,0000,000,0000,000,000,00000000000000 times more resources that the richest school just 20 years could even dream about.

You could throw $1 billion/ year funding at an inner city school and it wouldn't make a difference. The problem isn't the funding. It's the people that attend the schools.

In Finland it is illegal to charge tuition for education. there are almost no private schools.

the result?? Rich kids have to go to public schools. Those rich kids parents are now very invested in having those public schools be top notch.

Suddenly Finland is at the top of the public education ladder..... shocking....

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...gnoring-about-finlands-school-success/250564/
You're ignoring some very important differences between Finland and the U.S.

Obvious question to ask: Do Asian American students at poor schools also fail?

If they don't, why not?

Back