• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Oliver Anthony 'aggravated' by conservative news and GOP politicians identifying with his song.

Isn't it less expensive in other places because when government runs healthcare they can often negotiate lower prices; whereas, in America private corporations are more or less happy to pass exorbitant costs onto consumers?

I think that fits into the general idea of America being significantly "less left."

The biggest factor in America having expensive healthcare is that it's very rich. Private insurers also try to keep costs down. And Medicare and Medicaid also have some influence, though they've been a bit handcuffed in negotiations. The gov't would have more leverage if it was doing more of the buying, but it would have to use it. I don't think it fits the idea at all--and America being less left doesn't mean there's no left in America anyway. Just means the right has more power.

Maybe. Doesn't that fit into my argument that America is significantly "less left," though?

If in the rest of the world it is normal and excepted to collect more taxes in order to pay for an increased level of services, especially "safety net" services, and the populations in those places are willing to do this, in fact demand to do it, because it provides what they consider to be a better way of life... isn't that "more left"?

But American taxes are way more progressive than most other developed countries. There's a difference, but it's not about a lack of a left-wing presence in American politics.

Read an article where someone went through his YouTube recommendations or some shit like that and it was chock full of 9/11 conspiracy videos and crap like that.

Here is one of the articles
https://www.newsweek.com/oliver-anthony-9-11-antisemitic-jewish-conspiracy-1821632
The 'Dancing Israelis' Conspiracy Theory is not a conspiracy theory though. These men did celebrate and acted suspiciously. These men were arrested and jailed for a while. The moving company did close shop mysteriously soon after.

Whole thing comes across like Scrotie McBoogerballs
MV5BMzMxYjVlYTItZTk5My00ZWRiLTgyMjItZmE2YjIyNjg0MGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgyODE4NTE@._V1_.jpg

He is talking about the shadow government and the "cabal". He is a semi-conspiracy theorist. Most of his songs have that theme. He talks about "minors on an island" and "eating bugs" etc etc.

He has a good voice but definitely needs to change up the themes of his songs.

This isn't too bad.

His voice is so-so, but he sings with soul. I'd catch his show.

And the left may love his comments, but his song (RMNOR) is anti politician - not anti 1 party or the other.

BTW, Most of his lyrics that I've heard are an ode of the poor working man just trying to get by.

But American taxes are way more progressive than most other developed countries. There's a difference, but it's not about a lack of a left-wing presence in American politics.
I realize that tax systems are complex in ways that make comparisons difficult, but...

According to my google machine, the top personal tax bracket in the US is 37% while the top tax rates in the UK and Germany are 45%, and both of those tax rates kick in at lower levels than the top US tax rate. Japan, Denmark, and Austria are at 55%.

In any case, I think "left" v. "right" is better determined by the level of guaranteed services, ie., the robustness of the safety net. I think this is in keeping with historical usage. For example, USSR pointed to the fact that they had completely eliminated homelessness and hunger and provided universal free education and healthcare by 1950 as their major achievement (and indeed their major ethical argument vs. the west).

I realize that tax systems are complex in ways that make comparisons difficult, but...

According to my google machine, the top personal tax bracket in the US is 37% while the top tax rates in the UK and Germany are 45%, and both of those tax rates kick in at lower levels than the top US tax rate. Japan, Denmark, and Austria are at 55%.

In any case, I think "left" v. "right" is better determined by the level of guaranteed services, ie., the robustness of the safety net. I think this is in keeping with historical usage. For example, USSR pointed to the fact that they had completely eliminated homelessness and hunger and provided universal free education and healthcare by 1950 as their major achievement (and indeed their major ethical argument vs. the west).

The main difference is the VAT. All other developed countries have one and it's regressive and a big part of overall revenue. Also, I think we're drifting a bit. If your claim is that American policy is overall to the right of a typical OECD country, that's arguably true. Kind of hard to measure but plausible. But the claim I was responding to was that there is no left in American politics. That is very wrong. Democrats are a left-wing party, and a pretty normal one ideologically. The GOP is the unusual party in that it is further right than most mainstream rightist parties in the developed world.

He's just trying to stay out of politics. But that's impossible if he really wants things to change. I think his angle may be that all policiticans are bad and no political change will improve things. Only a return to God and the bible can save us now.
<mma4>

Yes you struggle to understand analysis beyond headlines and titles. I bet you're just as red as Dana now.
I responded to the information you posted, and it wasn’t a headline OR in the title.

In particular he thought it is funny that they played his song at the GOP presidential debate because "I wrote the song about those people," and "That song has nothing to do with Joe Biden."

<JagsKiddingMe>

Back