• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Oliver Anthony 'aggravated' by conservative news and GOP politicians identifying with his song.

What's the misinformation? He said the song wasn't about Joe Biden and it isn't. He gets the final word on what his song is about. If you want to make a song about Joe Biden then go nuts. Doubt it'll go viral though.
I guess… it’s just weird that his song is about the rich politicians in Washington but NOT the current president who seems to epitomize much of what he’s rallying against. But I’m simple minded and probably just don’t understand the nuance.

<Fedor23>

Oliver Anthony: "Yeah I was talking about people like the GOP types claiming my sh*t. The song was about them, nothing to do with Joe Biden."

Right-tards: ".....yeah he totally just said that song was about the left."

Oliver Anthony: "Yeah I was talking about people like the GOP types claiming my sh*t. The song was about them, nothing to do with Joe Biden."

Ah man it would be cool if your friend Queen Bee can post them sources

Well, I give him credit for seeing that he was being astroturfed by the corporate GOP and speaking out against that.

The verse about fat people on welfare is still profoundly stupid, (look up "food desert") and is definitely a reprisal of the Ronald Reagan's "welfare queens."

It's so frustrating because if the aggrieved white working could JUST STAY FOCUSED FOR FIVE FUCKING MINUTES, we could have the revolution already.

This the problem with the left. They want to piss on white working people constantly and call them dummies for not wanting to vote for the revolution...
duh...why would anyone want to side with anyone who thinks so highly of them and shows them so much respect.

Maybe it's that hubris that's in the way of the revolution. It's not like the left ever actually tries to sell populism to these people in any kind of way involves them getting to retain any of the things THEY strongly believe in or feels like any sort of compromise . Feel like lot of that Bernie shit would be easier to pass if say these white aggrieved people were met where they were instead of told where they should be.

But I also have a conspiracy theory on all this. Like the left doesn't fight tooth and nail for that Bernie shit because that would make the Donars mad so they go all in on cultural shit so they can still say they are doing big things while doing nothing about anything that actually matters to working class aggrieved of any stripe. Yea there's a reason we spend all our time talking about queers and ar15s and there hasn't been a spirited debate about national Healthcare or raising minimum wage around here in forever and it isn't that those issues got solved or that these new ones are more urgent.

I'm sick of that line about if only these rednecks would vote for their own self interests as if the democrats don't make them have to pick and chose which interests and beliefs those are or like they know better.

The Bernie shit is never going to pass because the people selling it do nothing but disrespect the people who would likely feel most receptive to it if it didn't come with a lecture and a complete identity make over.

It’s an antiestablishment song, so of course the left accuses him of Qanon immediately.
Don’t act like y’all weren’t programmed to be triggered by the song.

It’s an antiestablishment song, so of course the left accuses him of Qanon immediately.
Don’t act like y’all weren’t programmed to be triggered by the song.
I think most were off put by that fudge rounds line. It's spouting shitty takes on how people on welfare are fat and lazy. He's since walked back on that line.

lol. ok. Well, to clear it up for you, you agreed with what I said. But given that you couldn't figure that out on your own, that frightens me

Ah so it was incoherent nonsense then. Thanks for clearing that up, champ.

I guess… it’s just weird that his song is about the rich politicians in Washington but NOT the current president who seems to epitomize much of what he’s rallying against. But I’m simple minded and probably just don’t understand the nuance.

<Fedor23>

So you've just shown you didn't actually what the video he said:

"The song isn't about Joe Biden it's bigger than Joe Biden." It's a systemic analysis of the conditions of the working class that go beyond any one president.

Or did you eat so much soap as a child to the point where you literally think poor people only had it hard when Biden took office?

The left takes advice from NBA players, teen activists and actors.

Republicans have literally elected an actor and a reality TV star as 2 of their last 4 elected presidents. Let's not forget they also ran Dr. Oz and Herschel Walker in the last election cycle and elected a college football coach to Senate.

This is top tier projection.

"It's aggravating seeing people on conservative news, trying to identify with me, like I'm one of them."

Viral music star Oliver Anthony feels frustration at the number of political figures and news outlets trying to 'identify' his song 'Rich Men North Of Richmond' with them.

In particular he thought it is funny that they played his song at the GOP presidential debate because "I wrote the song about those people," and "That song has nothing to do with Joe Biden."

Yeah anti establishment, republicans are also the establishment. Why would he like them?

Agreeing with you here... wow

It's a song about the elites (GOP and DNC) vs common people

And you wonder why I want less power in the Federal Govenment and put more power back into local Governments.

"It's aggravating seeing people on conservative news, trying to identify with me, like I'm one of them."

Viral music star Oliver Anthony feels frustration at the number of political figures and news outlets trying to 'identify' his song 'Rich Men North Of Richmond' with them.

In particular he thought it is funny that they played his song at the GOP presidential debate because "I wrote the song about those people," and "That song has nothing to do with Joe Biden."

Are there any GOP supporters on sherdog? I can't think of one tbh. Most of us on the 'right' are some form of libertarian.

But I also have a conspiracy theory on all this. Like the left doesn't fight tooth and nail for that Bernie shit because that would make the Donars mad so they go all in on cultural shit so they can still say they are doing big things while doing nothing about anything that actually matters to working class aggrieved of any stripe.
That's not a conspiracy theory, that's just reality. "The left" doesn't really exist in American politics. It has NO representation in mainstream media. What passes for "the left" is, like you said, a bunch of cultural shit that has precious little to do with a true working class agenda.

The Bernie shit is never going to pass because the people selling it do nothing but disrespect the people who would likely feel most receptive to it if it didn't come with a lecture and a complete identity make over.
Now, here I think you are painting with too broad strokes.
It's true that Democrats are often condescending to the culture of the white working class.
However it is ALSO true that some elements of the culture of the white working class are directly antithetical to genuine social progress.
This is what makes it so infuriating that someone like Oliver Anthony has the knee jerk impulse to include of a line blaming "fat people on welfare" in a song about how the wealthy control the system.
Like, if all working class white people were just fun loving juggalos and the culture of the "Democrat elite" was just based on sneering of their faygo, then you'd be right. But it's not quite that simple. The culture of the white working class also bears some genuine culpability. (Not that any culture is perfect, far from it.)

Last edited:

<Fedor23>

Oliver Anthony probably just doesn't want to get sent to the democrats' gulag for 'inciting an insurrection' or whatever horseshit they are going after people for these days.

This idiot just alienated probably 80% of his audience. What a tool.

Back