Old Sushi Mistake

Worrying is definitely the worst thing...stress can give some of the worst gastric upset.

You cant be worse than the guy who ate the moldy bread.

I cannot remember a story bothering so much -since back when the guy in Oregon froze to death trying to find someone to help his wife a 2 infants stuck in their car in a snow bank. Had he walked the other way -he would have found a fully provisioned fish hatchery about 1/4 of a mile away.

For Tsunamis, Hurricanes, and large scale disasters I can just go numb and turn off my senses -but something about these succinct tragedies that get to me.

Im the same way. I never really feel to much unless its something I can place myself into. My son is 6 and asked me everything he could about the shootings, that shit hurt me like crazy thinking about the parents who are never gonna see their 6-7 year olds again. 9/11 got me for the mere fact that half of my best friends are firemen and I lost one around that time due to wildfires.

All other significant tragedies are hard but dont affect me like the ones you can place yourself in.

in my experience fish is usually ok. it's the shellfish that you have to worry about.

If it didn't smell or taste bad should be ok

your mistake is eating sushi in the first place lol

sushi can last for a while, I've bought really cheap sushi from an Asian grocery store that tasted really old, in the weeks. Was fine the next day.

Sounds yum.

They're such little bits of fish in there, don't imagine it would be a problem. And the rest of it is definitely fine.

Being a groundhog expert and all, I say this so confidently. Let us know either way.

I accidently ate 2-3 day old sushi from the fridge tonight -i wasn't paying attention and thought it was sushi leftovers from lunch today and got through 2 pieces before thinking about it.

the sushi tasted fine -but the bacteria that causes food poisoning doesn't taste bad or occur in relation to food starting to taste old.

So other than Murphy's law (I have to travel for 8 hours total tomorrow) ,I have nothing to gauge the odds of me getting very sick tonight.

any experience with this? I guess there is no chance I go to the spiritworld tonight ala moldy bread style.

As I understand it, the main risk of food poisoning comes with cross-contamination. IE, we've evolved a pretty good system of rejecting food which is off by being repulsed by the smell and look of it. It's when a toxin thus created gets shifted onto seemingly-fresh foods that we have a problem. So, if the sushi tasted okay, it likely was okay. 2-3 days refrigerated is not very long, even for raw fish.

Think about the last time you ate sushi at a sushi bar. There's a whole pile of raw fish back there, and its intended to last for more than a day, refrigerated. This is basically the same thing, except that the fish has been handled and processed into sushi, which is a point at which bacteria can easily be introduced.

All of this being said, its amazing how wimpy North Americans are when it comes to food handling. FoodSafe regulations, if followed to the T around the globe would probably eliminate 95% or more of the food eaten on a daily basis. On the one hand, this means we over emphasize the importance of safe food handling techniques, on the other it means our immune and gastrointestinal systems haven't had much practice in dealing with iffy foods, as anyone who has ever travelled in a foreign country can attest to.

LOL
Thread title & topic is funny as hell.

I need to go write the book now.
The Big Book of Sushi Mistakes

The cheap sushi you find at grocery stores sit there for days, so you should be fine. Fish don't spoil in a couple days when refrigerated, so unless it tasted funky, you're in the clear.

P.S. Don't be scared, homie.

I ate two day old sushi before and I was fine. You should be good.

I'd be more worried about the rice than the fish, to be honest.
Rice doesn't keep all that well, if it's been in the fridge for more than a day I'd toss it out.
Depending on how long it had been standing around in room temp before chilling maybe less.

How can you eat next day sushi? I once waited a few hours and i couldn't stand it, the rice was all dried up, the fish was all weird. If you get food poisoning you deserve it.

You may get the runs. I've eaten old sushi and I've never really gotten sick.

If it were shrimp, I'd be worried.

But the fish should be fine.

Worse that'll happen is a little indigestion.

Made it throught the night no problem and no sickness.

unfortunately I did not experience the spiritworld either.

The cheap sushi you find at grocery stores sit there for days, so you should be fine. Fish don't spoil in a couple days when refrigerated, so unless it tasted funky, you're in the clear.

P.S. Don't be scared, homie.

haha. spoiling fish is not the problem here -it's the bacteria that may get into and thrive in the fish after the temperature rises enough briefly -they spread from your lips, chop sticks, air, the styrofoam to go container etc.

the food born illness from handling the fish prior to me eating it is something I came control.

Back