1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Old Sushi Mistake

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by SevenSamurai, Dec 18, 2012.

  1. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    I accidently ate 2-3 day old sushi from the fridge tonight -i wasn't paying attention and thought it was sushi leftovers from lunch today and got through 2 pieces before thinking about it.

    the sushi tasted fine -but the bacteria that causes food poisoning doesn't taste bad or occur in relation to food starting to taste old.

    So other than Murphy's law (I have to travel for 8 hours total tomorrow) ,I have nothing to gauge the odds of me getting very sick tonight.

    any experience with this? I guess there is no chance I go to the spiritworld tonight ala moldy bread style.
     
  2. Zookeeper Gabe

    Zookeeper Gabe Animal Feces Engineer

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    9,364
    Likes Received:
    5,405
    Location:
    RI
    I've eaten a couple day old grocery store sushi and always been fine.
     
  3. Ocean Chief

    Ocean Chief Black Belt

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    6,318
    Likes Received:
    27
    I had diarrhea today.
     
  4. Blitz55

    Blitz55 WILLOW

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Messages:
    24,582
    Likes Received:
    114
    Location:
    Washington State
    This is why I stick to brisket. It's plenty good a day or so later.


    Hope you don't get sick man.
     
  5. bootsy

    bootsy and elsewhere

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    7,123
    Likes Received:
    4,828
    Should be no problem.
     
  6. Squirting Gun

    Squirting Gun Blue Belt

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2012
    Messages:
    921
    Likes Received:
    8
    Your fine man unless you get fish from a shitty place. I go to a local place that has decent sushi once a week and I often eat it 2-3 days after, the rice is hard and dry but I never get sick.
     
  7. MC3521

    MC3521 Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    Messages:
    3,307
    Likes Received:
    60
    You should be fine. If it was bad it would taste fishy and foul; if being a few days old is the case. You can get sick from even the freshest of sushi depending upon how it was sourced and stuff so if you did get sick I don't think the freshness of it would be the cause. There are several types of heat stable bacteria that don't make the food taste funny, but I think that's mainly from shellfish fished in bad water.

    Your body has safeguards to prevent from getting sick easily unless cross contamination is there.

    I used to be a fish monger and I've eaten plenty of funky stuff and been fine.
     
  8. DoctorGonzo

    DoctorGonzo Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2011
    Messages:
    2,927
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    If it was in the fridge the whole time you shouldn't have too much to worry about

    When it gets warm is when the bacteria have a field day
     
  9. def1

    def1 Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009
    Messages:
    3,056
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    915
    you're fine.

    even if you up with salmonella, its not likely to kill you.

    you might be shitting quite a bit on your trip tomorrow tho.
     
  10. m0353

    m0353 Purple Belt

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,375
    Likes Received:
    2
    If it was cold, it should be "ok"

    I remember I had some greek yogurt a couple of weeks ago that were a few weeks old, big mistake. Just happy I spat it out before I saw the green stuff growing in the container
     
  11. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    It was from a higher end Sushi place and it was 45 minutes before being refrigerated again -so it sounds like I might be good.

    You guys are making me feel a bit more positive about this.

    the last time I had Food Poisoning -I puked for 6 straight hours and contemplated suicide because I didn't think I could dry heave anymore! lulz.
     
  12. tkotom

    tkotom Fedor belt

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    Messages:
    28,174
    Likes Received:
    9,011
    I never eat sushi post an hour after purchase.

    Raw fish is not something you want to mess with.
     
  13. Squirting Gun

    Squirting Gun Blue Belt

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2012
    Messages:
    921
    Likes Received:
    8
    Your straight then. After 4 hours in the TDZ which is from 40-140 degrees is when bacteria starts making its move. The temp depends on the state but thats pretty much it. If anything you will get sick from mentally worrying about it, nothing actually physical. I wish I had day old sushi to eat you bastard.
     
  14. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    It was a roll with Tuna, Salmon, and roe included -so I hear ya.
     
  15. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    haha. at least this has taken my mind of those kids at Sandy Hook.
     
  16. MC3521

    MC3521 Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    Messages:
    3,307
    Likes Received:
    60
    Motion sickness pills or even a decent dose of Benadryl is excellent in stopping dry heaves and most puking in most cases.
     
  17. Squirting Gun

    Squirting Gun Blue Belt

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2012
    Messages:
    921
    Likes Received:
    8
    Anything to take your mind off that is a plus in my book.
     
  18. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    Benadryl? wow that's a good tip.

    I use it to KO myself mostly.
     
  19. MC3521

    MC3521 Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    Messages:
    3,307
    Likes Received:
    60
    Yeah plenty of prescription drugs are anti-histamines. Store brand motion sickness pills are cheap and do the trick just fine.

    If you get the shits then Immodium; other than that I have no clue for that ailment.

    Good luck and unless the fish tasted funky and didn't come already contaminated, regardless of freshness...you should be just fine.
     
  20. SevenSamurai

    SevenSamurai Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    Messages:
    10,380
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    in a hotel
    I cannot remember a story bothering so much -since back when the guy in Oregon froze to death trying to find someone to help his wife a 2 infants stuck in their car in a snow bank. Had he walked the other way -he would have found a fully provisioned fish hatchery about 1/4 of a mile away.

    For Tsunamis, Hurricanes, and large scale disasters I can just go numb and turn off my senses -but something about these succinct tragedies that get to me.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.