Old Sushi Mistake

SevenSamurai

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I accidently ate 2-3 day old sushi from the fridge tonight -i wasn't paying attention and thought it was sushi leftovers from lunch today and got through 2 pieces before thinking about it.

the sushi tasted fine -but the bacteria that causes food poisoning doesn't taste bad or occur in relation to food starting to taste old.

So other than Murphy's law (I have to travel for 8 hours total tomorrow) ,I have nothing to gauge the odds of me getting very sick tonight.

any experience with this? I guess there is no chance I go to the spiritworld tonight ala moldy bread style.

I've eaten a couple day old grocery store sushi and always been fine.

This is why I stick to brisket. It's plenty good a day or so later.

Hope you don't get sick man.

I accidently ate 2-3 day old sushi from the fridge tonight -i wasn't paying attention and thought it was sushi leftovers from lunch today and got through 2 pieces before thinking about it.

the sushi tasted fine -but the bacteria that causes food poisoning doesn't taste bad or occur in relation to food starting to taste old.

So other than Murphy's law (I have to travel for 8 hours total tomorrow) ,I have nothing to gauge the odds of me getting very sick tonight.

any experience with this? I guess there is no chance I go to the spiritworld tonight ala moldy bread style.
Should be no problem.

Your fine man unless you get fish from a shitty place. I go to a local place that has decent sushi once a week and I often eat it 2-3 days after, the rice is hard and dry but I never get sick.

You should be fine. If it was bad it would taste fishy and foul; if being a few days old is the case. You can get sick from even the freshest of sushi depending upon how it was sourced and stuff so if you did get sick I don't think the freshness of it would be the cause. There are several types of heat stable bacteria that don't make the food taste funny, but I think that's mainly from shellfish fished in bad water.

Your body has safeguards to prevent from getting sick easily unless cross contamination is there.

I used to be a fish monger and I've eaten plenty of funky stuff and been fine.

If it was in the fridge the whole time you shouldn't have too much to worry about

When it gets warm is when the bacteria have a field day

you're fine.

even if you up with salmonella, its not likely to kill you.

you might be shitting quite a bit on your trip tomorrow tho.

If it was cold, it should be "ok"

I remember I had some greek yogurt a couple of weeks ago that were a few weeks old, big mistake. Just happy I spat it out before I saw the green stuff growing in the container

It was from a higher end Sushi place and it was 45 minutes before being refrigerated again -so it sounds like I might be good.

You guys are making me feel a bit more positive about this.

the last time I had Food Poisoning -I puked for 6 straight hours and contemplated suicide because I didn't think I could dry heave anymore! lulz.

I never eat sushi post an hour after purchase.

Raw fish is not something you want to mess with.

It was from a higher end Sushi place and it was 45 minutes before being refrigerated again -so it sounds like I might be good.

the last time I had Food Poisoning -I puked for 6 straight hours and contemplated suicide because I didn't think I could dry heave anymore! lulz.

Your straight then. After 4 hours in the TDZ which is from 40-140 degrees is when bacteria starts making its move. The temp depends on the state but thats pretty much it. If anything you will get sick from mentally worrying about it, nothing actually physical. I wish I had day old sushi to eat you bastard.

Your straight then. After 4 hours in the TDZ which is from 40-140 degrees is when bacteria starts making its move. The temp depends on the state but thats pretty much it. If anything you will get sick from mentally worrying about it, nothing actually physical. I wish I had day old sushi to eat you bastard.

haha. at least this has taken my mind of those kids at Sandy Hook.

Motion sickness pills or even a decent dose of Benadryl is excellent in stopping dry heaves and most puking in most cases.

Motion sickness pills or even a decent dose of Benadryl is excellent in stopping dry heaves and most puking in most cases.

Benadryl? wow that's a good tip.

I use it to KO myself mostly.

Benadryl? wow that's a good tip.

I use it to KO myself mostly.

Yeah plenty of prescription drugs are anti-histamines. Store brand motion sickness pills are cheap and do the trick just fine.

If you get the shits then Immodium; other than that I have no clue for that ailment.

Good luck and unless the fish tasted funky and didn't come already contaminated, regardless of freshness...you should be just fine.

Anything to take your mind off that is a plus in my book.

I cannot remember a story bothering so much -since back when the guy in Oregon froze to death trying to find someone to help his wife a 2 infants stuck in their car in a snow bank. Had he walked the other way -he would have found a fully provisioned fish hatchery about 1/4 of a mile away.

For Tsunamis, Hurricanes, and large scale disasters I can just go numb and turn off my senses -but something about these succinct tragedies that get to me.

Back