• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Old School Tech You Have And Still Like To Use? And Ones You'd Like To Get A Hold Of?

Nice. Much the same, Sega Master System and NES 8bit era up to PS4.

Going through the PS2 library currently, X-Men Legends was great, didnt like the second too much but now playing The Punisher.

Hope you have the older ones hooked up to a CRT TV too!
Fuck yeah. Got a big ass CRTV for all my retro systems. I have a PS4 and Xbox One X, but don’t really consider those old yet.

I won’t be getting a PS5 unless it’s used, as I don’t want to put any money in the hands of Sony.

The best thing about PS3 and PS4 is how cheap they are to collect for. Ditto for all of Xbox’s old systems.

I refuse to go digital too, so just another reason to focus on old tech.

Fuck yeah. Got a big ass CRTV for all my retro systems. I have a PS4 and Xbox One X, but don’t really consider those old yet.

I won’t be getting a PS5 unless it’s used, as I don’t want to put any money in the hands of Sony.

The best thing about PS3 and PS4 is how cheap they are to collect for. Ditto for all of Xbox’s old systems.

Yeah I got in at the tail end of ps2 up to ps4 so quite cheap indeed. Luckily the older stuff was collected mostly 10 years ago cos pricing is getting stupid.

Like you no PS5 yet. It's been out how long and only 5 games that interest me, pretty sad... also second that digital comment!

710ZjY9PJKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

walkie talkies are nice for places that aren't too big. Way louder than a phone (for noisy environments), and way faster to contact someone.
We have to use walkie talkies boat racing , so I still have some.

I had the realization years ago that digital photos don't really exist, they require constant backup and storage that needs to be actively maintained.

So now I use this:

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171210085759706_COVER-2.jpg
I would love to have that. I still have a couple of my old Nikon film camera’s hanging around that I use for B&w’s.

I just like the feeling film bw better than conversion.

old ass manual focus 135 f2 is still one of my favorite portait lenses. That and my 85 1.4

I still have Atari 2600, Sega master, Genesis with Cd and 32x..

And a crt to play them on. Also a Ps1 with a conversion chip to play Pal release games(mostly dragon ball games not released in us )
An OG Xbox and a 360

Yeah I got in at the tail end of ps2 up to ps4 so quite cheap indeed. Luckily the older stuff was collected mostly 10 years ago cos pricing is getting stupid.

Like you no PS5 yet. It's been out how long and only 5 games that interest me, pretty sad... also second that digital comment!
For me I’d say the hardest systems to collect for have been the Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega CD. In that order.

I know the NeoGeo is the worst, by far, but I don’t have one so it is irrelevant to me.

PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have certain games that can be pricey, but on the whole they are affordable and it’s relatively easy to build a collection.

The rare, failed systems (like the Sega ones I mentioned earlier) are what I would consider to be stupid expensive. I’m glad I filled those collections out back in the 90’s and early 2000’s. I wouldn’t touch those systems today.

For anyone looking to get into retro gaming, Xbox 360 and PS3 are gold mines. Stupid cheap, especially Xbox.

For Nintendo, the original NES is stupid cheap. Again, certain titles demand top dollar (Zelda, Mario 3, Castlevania I-III), but on the whole it is stupid cheap. $2 or $3 for most cartridges.

If I had to recommend one system though, it’s the PS3. Prices are just starting to tick up, but you can get absolute bangers for almost nothing. And the system itself hooks up to HD, and the original fat versions are backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2, while all PS3s can play PS1 games.

Still use corded earbuds

Thought about buying a refurbished GameGear awhile back but didn't pull the trigger

I used to have a game gear with an attachment that let me play Sega Master System games on it. So good

I still have Atari 2600, Sega master, Genesis with Cd and 32x..

And a crt to play them on. Also a Ps1 with a conversion chip to play Pal release games(mostly dragon ball games not released in us )
An OG Xbox and a 360
Xbox 360 is a real dark horse of a system. All titles are cheaper on it than it’s PS3 counterparts. It’s also an emulation beast.

Playstation, like Nintendo, is the sexier name, but the 360 is a damn good gaming console.

I still use a radio/alarm clock with the red display. It can still pick up the AM sports radio station at night.
I'm also hanging on to a Sony Trinitron tube TV for retro consoles but it's in storage right now.
My display is green, but I've got the radio/cd/alarm combo. Would never trust my phone alarm.

I would so love to have one of those Amigas computers from the early 90's, the one with a built in Sega Genesis or the Amiga CDTV

images

I had an SGI and NeXT computers running at home in the last 10yrs.

Would a cast iron skillet count? I use a modern non-stick pan for eggs in the morning but that's it. Everything else is my trusty 8 inch lodge skillet. Cook everything from steaks to brownies in it and use it multiple times every single day

Parallel motion drawing board with set square and pencil
Not really old school but I always use a mouse and keyboard with a cord, beside not having to buy batteries , the mouse is more accurate in that it has no lag.

Back