• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Old School Tech You Have And Still Like To Use? And Ones You'd Like To Get A Hold Of?

My newish car has CD player, but I always use the USB "memory stick" for tunes and podcasts, but the car's player lacks the ability to have playlists, so I have to use the Album data field to group songs into a playlist. The USB probably uses less energy than CD laser.

If you have iTunes on the computer, you put the CD in, right-click which song, then select the menu option for convert to MP3. Then you look up a PDF of the car's user manual and find out what file format your car supports for the USB flashdrive and then on the computer, with the flashdrive plugged in and blank, right-click and format, then select the file format your car reads, like exFAT, FAT32, NTFS. I think exFAT is the one Mac and PC can read. Then copy and paste the mp3 files to the flashdrive.
thanks dude, unfortunately you could've posted your reply in russian and i would've understood just as much as i have with it written in english, i can buy shit from amazon and log in and out of a karate forum, thats the limits to my knowledge, i suppose i could learn, but i'm old and lazy and would rather complain about stuff and how the old days were better.

I had the realization years ago that digital photos don't really exist, they require constant backup and storage that needs to be actively maintained.

So now I use this:

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171210085759706_COVER-2.jpg

I have a Lite-on DVD Player/Recorder like this one
s-l1600.jpg

I still use to watch and record vids I found off the net.

Tech I'd like to have. Mini-Disc player/recorder

$_86.JPG

There's some 1GB recordable discs.
s-l1600.png

Want to get a hold of a Blu-Ray disc recorder like this.
$_58.PNG

I like my draw knife.

I still play Nintendo 64 as well as C & C Generals (released 2003).

I’d like to find a charger to my old Ipod so I can use it.

thanks dude, unfortunately you could've posted your reply in russian and i would've understood just as much as i have with it written in english, i can buy shit from amazon and log in and out of a karate forum, thats the limits to my knowledge, i suppose i could learn, but i'm old and lazy and would rather complain about stuff and how the old days were better.
Once you learn something called "right-click", it's pretty intuitive. I probably have the equivalent of a hundred CD's on my flashdrive in the car.

Since you use Amazon, you can buy the mp3 from Amazon's digital music store. After your purchase, they'll give you a link to download the mp3. I bought a bunch there before I started using iTunes. I was a fool to stay away from iTunes for so long because I stubbornly refused to install another software for music. It's only like $1.29 per song. I found a few there not on iTunes.

I like vintage video games, so my consoles and old computers are probably the best example of old tech I still use.

Commodore 64 for PCs, plus my Atari 2600, NES, Sega Master System, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, N64, PS1, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3 I guess all fall under that category of old tech.

Right now I’m playing Dragon’s Crown on the PS3, which is currently the system I have hooked up in the bedroom.

Nice. Much the same, Sega Master System and NES 8bit era up to PS4.

Going through the PS2 library currently, X-Men Legends was great, didnt like the second too much but now playing The Punisher.

Hope you have the older ones hooked up to a CRT TV too!

I had the realization years ago that digital photos don't really exist, they require constant backup and storage that needs to be actively maintained.

So now I use this:

Nice! I've been wanting to move up to medium format but I just can't justify the cost of film & developing where I live.
Haven't shot any film in a while since other hobbies have taken over my life, but I still have my classic film cameras.

u4nMEvi.jpg

I looked at the cost for a neo geo console….. HOLY SHIT! They cost how much????

I got this on sale from Amazon a few years back as a Christmas gift for myself.

71in2B2ipDL._SL1500_.jpg

41oRABkyzHL.jpg

Got all the games they released in the West for it too (AFAIK). Plays GREAT!

I also have..

A Zune HD 32gb
A Zune 32 gb
A 64gb Ipod touch (My Zunes won't sync anymore) :(
A VCR that's hooked up right now so I can watch my Japanese wresting tapes
A Laserdisc player
A Logitech Squeezbox Boom (Internet radio. That thing is great.)

OIP.VY18ewdqgeUMCgrV2ZkUagHaFj

Last edited:
Probably will hang on to my method core putter till it's down to a nub

That's freaken awesome! It's like a switch with on the go play. I'd sworn off gaming 10 years ago.
giphy.gif

I got this on sale from Amazon a few years back as a Christmas gift for myself.

71in2B2ipDL._SL1500_.jpg

41oRABkyzHL.jpg

Got all the games they released in the West for it too (AFAIK). Plays GREAT!

I also have..

A Zune HD 32gb
A Zune 32 gb
A 64gb Ipod touch (My Zunes won't sync anymore) :(
A VCR that's hooked up right now so I can watch my Japanese wresting tapes
A Laserdisc player
A Logitech Squeezbox Boom (Internet radio. That thing is great.)

OIP.VY18ewdqgeUMCgrV2ZkUagHaFj

So now I use this:

I agree that digital photos is kind of lame, that's why I print out albums, not too worried about backups.

MF, that is interesting, most folks would go 35mm unless they are really experienced.

OTOH, digital video is a match made in heaven

710ZjY9PJKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

walkie talkies are nice for places that aren't too big. Way louder than a phone (for noisy environments), and way faster to contact someone.
I need a 2 or 3 pack can you please point me in the right direction?

Still using my record player and vacuum tube amplifiers.
I finally got the system setup again recently after putting it away for a while when my kids were younger.

ri0sRrY.jpg

QP3aCig.jpg

That's nice! I have a little 4 tube amp for my main PC's audio. Works and sounds really good too.

I need a 2 or 3 pack can you please point me in the right direction?
I have a large family and use this Retevis RT22P, https://a.co/d/6jGFWFG

seems fine, lightweight, durable, good battery life, usb-c charging (use a 1:4 splitter), does the job. Use it for camping and filming work (mostly). Used it at santa monica recently and mostly hit, but some misses, it was so damn crowded, could easily hear through the noise. Hope my young daughter can figure it out, going to a smaller outdoor venue where she will be on her own.

I have a large family and use this Retevis RT22P, https://a.co/d/6jGFWFG

seems fine, lightweight, durable, good battery life, usb-c charging (use a 1:4 splitter), does the job. Use it for camping and filming work (mostly). Used it at santa monica recently and mostly hit, but some misses, it was so damn crowded, could easily hear through the noise. Hope my young daughter can figure it out, going to a smaller outdoor venue where she will be on her own.
Thank you. Wow these are really affordable. Can i spend more and get way better range?

Thank you. Wow these are really affordable. Can i spend more and get way better range?
Certainly, just be warned that even long range devices need somewhat good line of sight. From my understanding, they broadcast a stronger signal, which requires more power/less battery life depending how you look at it. Plan according to your use case. If you have a very large farm, it could be useful and worth it for long range, check out on YouTube to see how useful it is for your scenario. I see bouncers use this for quick communication, lots of uses.

Certainly, just be warned that even long range devices need somewhat good line of sight. From my understanding, they broadcast a stronger signal, which requires more power/less battery life depending how you look at it. Plan according to your use case. If you have a very large farm, it could be useful and worth it for long range, check out on YouTube to see how useful it is for your scenario. I see bouncers use this for quick communication, lots of uses.
Thanks again!

Here's a 200 DVD/CD disc changer.

It'd great if it played Blu-Ray and Video Game discs.

Back