Ok. Am I being a b**tch in this situation...

Mirada said:
We don't really need two pages for this. The logic is very simple.

In anything but a judo tournament "pinning" is just another word for "stalling." -> You weren't in a Judo tournament. -> We all know it's retarded to stall in training.

*ahem*

I've got it set to 20 posts per page, so it's FOUR pages.

I won't muck it up further by giving a class on strawman, but I will end with this-

In training, I have tapped to a pin when something has gone horribly wrong (i.e.- My fingers are caught in the gi, and when he moves, I am going to break them... His shoulder or something is pushing my jaw to the side, and my teeth are scraping together.), but those were fairly early on.

Yes, most if not all Judo pins are seen in MMA with someone raining strikes down... However, to strike you have to move and make space. If you sit up in mount to throw strikes, you are no longer pinning, you are striking from the dominant position... There is action. When there is action, it's much easier to escape then when you are being pinned. You might not be able to upa/bump/bridge when the guy is just latched onto you... But he CANNOT strike or submit you while he is latched on, just hodling you down. It's basically a neutral position. Once he moves to strike or submit, you are in danger, but he is also giving you the opportunity to escape.

If someone is doing everything in their power to hold me down, then trying to get up is a waste of energy, as I'm meeting force with force. But, like this situation, if he goes for something, I escape and get him.

stephensharp said:
*ahem*

I've got it set to 20 posts per page, so it's FOUR pages.

I won't muck it up further by giving a class on strawman, but I will end with this-

In training, I have tapped to a pin when something has gone horribly wrong (i.e.- My fingers are caught in the gi, and when he moves, I am going to break them... His shoulder or something is pushing my jaw to the side, and my teeth are scraping together.), but those were fairly early on.

Yes, most if not all Judo pins are seen in MMA with someone raining strikes down... However, to strike you have to move and make space. If you sit up in mount to throw strikes, you are no longer pinning, you are striking from the dominant position... There is action. When there is action, it's much easier to escape then when you are being pinned. You might not be able to upa/bump/bridge when the guy is just latched onto you... But he CANNOT strike or submit you while he is latched on, just hodling you down. It's basically a neutral position. Once he moves to strike or submit, you are in danger, but he is also giving you the opportunity to escape.

If someone is doing everything in their power to hold me down, then trying to get up is a waste of energy, as I'm meeting force with force. But, like this situation, if he goes for something, I escape and get him.

Yes. If the guy in the inferior position can't get out, the guy on top should clear space for what he would do and then transition to another tech. For learning purposes.

Back