Ok. Am I being a b**tch in this situation...

Bubble Boy said:
I'll keep it as short and to the point as I can:

Visting my good buddies submission grappling club. Him and I roll, and after nearly being submited by him a couple times, I pass his guard and get a real solid north / south on him. And I mean solid: I've got an arm tied up and I'm crushing his face and chest with my chest. He ain't going any where. So...being a judo guy I just settle in and plan on holding this pin for eternity. About 30 seconds go by and he starts to say " Are going to fucking do anything?" He says this kind of things a few times more and then finally says, "If your not going to do anything, then I'll just tap." Mind you he's saying this while being squished under a really solid hold down. So I go for an armbar just to get something moving... the end result being me getting rear naked choked to tap out.

Now, I ain't whining about getting tapped. Me and this guy are friends, so it ain't personal. If him and I rolled 10 times he'd win 5 and I'd win 5 and we both know that. We're very evenly matched.

I'm wondering whose more of a bitch? Me for just being satisfied to hold a pin (I should have not listened to him) for 5 minutes, or him for wanting to press the action. To him a pin is doing NOTHING. It is a transition move. To me it's an end in itself.

So would it be lame in your guy's eyes if I were to just hold him in a pin and not go for any subs the next time we roll? Or anytime I roll at a BJJ or Grappling gym for that matter? Is my approach lame, or legit?

Love u bb. Been thru this o plenty. My 1st few times went to bjj clubs and ended up in any osaekomi, which is clearly dom and even end in mma, and NNOOOO respekt. Then they start bitching b/c u r not giving them opportunity. I get there and say, 'buddy u r dead from here'. (In my head.) But, that is somewhat sub imo and then we move from there for laerning purposes. I guess.:)

Even u, imo, a judo lovin fella, don't give it enuff.

Like everyone said, you have to clarify the rules. You should probably have transitioned into something else. Here's a tip, work the pin harder. I did Judo for 3 yeats or so, and the best guys don't just control. You have to smother the opponent. Use your weight to crush his chest. Its just like the basket ball drill. Push your weight through your chest, right on his head or chest. That combined with the lack of air WILL make someone tap if you do it right. If all he feels is annoyance, you're not doing it right....

North/South and Scarf holds aren't just controlling pins. A good player will squeeze that kesa ever so tightly with each move you make. The weight control of the top guy is the key...

Superbeast said:
Your job is to tire him and tap him. Pins will tire him allowing you to then get the sub. However if you aren't looking for one, move along. If he is in a bad position, it is his job to get out of it, not yours to move from it upon request. I'd suggest you look up some north/south submissions (reverse triangle, kimura, leaning sideheadlock choke, reverse ezekiel, reverse brabo choke) so he doesn't get pissy with you next time.

If he wasn't tiring after 4 minutes, I wouldn't think that it was going to happen. If you're in a good pin, wouldn't it actually be bad jiujitsu to try and power out (which is not to say you should give up immediately, but there are times when you can recognize a good pin)? Now, the top man's job is to finish or at least improve position.

Judo competition - 30s for a win
Judo training - over 30s is wasting both people's time
BJJ/MMA competition - top man would get called for stalling
BJJ/MMA training - depending on activity, time to hold the pin varies, but top man should try something once stalemate occurs...unless training for stalling tactics, but even this has a reasonable limit
self defence - a few reasons to hold for as long as possible, and a few reasons to get moving...highly dependant on scenario

So basically the answer is yes - you are a bitch. Whose bitch is yet to be determined, but definitely a bitch regardless.

TheHighlander said:
If he wasn't tiring after 4 minutes, I wouldn't think that it was going to happen. If you're in a good pin, wouldn't it actually be bad jiujitsu to try and power out (which is not to say you should give up immediately, but there are times when you can recognize a good pin)? Now, the top man's job is to finish or at least improve position.

Judo competition - 30s for a win
Judo training - over 30s is wasting both people's time
BJJ/MMA competition - top man would get called for stalling
BJJ/MMA training - depending on activity, time to hold the pin varies, but top man should try something once stalemate occurs...unless training for stalling tactics, but even this has a reasonable limit
self defence - a few reasons to hold for as long as possible, and a few reasons to get moving...highly dependant on scenario

Well, I think regardless of which sport, it is beneficial to be in the 'ole hit but cant be hit' position. They call it gnp, or lnp, but it is a win. So, for u, continue from there for the jisincase.

This is so idiotic. How dumb would it be if a wrestler came in, you pulled guard and he started talking about how he's got you pinned and refuses to pass?

nothing wrong with what you did Judo guys get me with them all the time, it is a good learning experience for both of you, just for practice maybe next time for something quicker, your showing him your rules try his next time, it will make you a better grappler

It works the other way too. When you have a dominant position on someone and they don't try to escape, just lock up there arms and protect there neck.
I find this frustrating as hell. Especcially when I have someone's back and they just sit there protecting their neck. I always end up going for an arm and fucking it up.

think about it this way, he can't tell the guy pinning him down in a street fight to get off...

he needs to learn to get out of that shit, or avoid it...

i've had guys do that same thing to me, but i've never asked them to get off of me or do something...

ive rolled alot with judo guys and my opinion is that they do the pin alot, sure if u are smaller or of equal size it's cool to pin someone down for like 30secs and hen go to something else, but alot of guys just lais there and holds untill time is up or if they weigh 30pounds more and that is just lame

Nxt time pin him from North South and throw some knees at his head that will stop him moaning na jk.

someone said the n/s position is not as dominiate as the mount. LOL
ever been pinned by a 270lbs dude from n/s?

if not then find a brown belt or higher in judo that weighs 250lbs or more. You'll have the GI marks pressed into your face for a week.

i've kinda got a half submission working from it that doesn't involve much risk.

here is how it works,

you have to be under both arms and at least one arm has to be under their upper arm close to the shoulder but still trapping the arm. it's a PITA and i've gotten it to work once. With their arms trapped, instead of grabbing their belt you move their lapels around so you get a criss cross grip. So your right hand is grabbing their left lapel and vise versa.

now you sprawl out and push down with your arms. So now you're lifting up their shoulders and pushing their head down.

you are now not only using your weight to crush their head, but now you've added extra pressure to the head squashing. the guy I did it to tapped in about 5 seconds because he thought he could feel his skull seperating from his brain :-D

it's a pain to get down right, i've screwed it up probly 15 times before getting it half right. It takes alot of muscle, but i'm sure the pain involved is not a fun thing to deal with as i've never heard anyone say that they've felt their brain seperate from their skull before.

as for the sub grappling thing

i'd keep the pin until he stops trying really hard, and then move to a n/s kimura or side control. And armbar from n/s is not easy unless you're a Nog brother.

RoyceGracieBJJ said:
Nxt time pin him from North South and throw some knees at his head that will stop him moaning na jk.

In a real fight, you could throw some wicked knees, so that position is very dominant IMO.
Look here, found this on stickgrappler's old page.....

Subject: Awesome drill for KIRIK
Date: 13-Oct-98 | 07:56 PM

Learned this from Rigan Machado.Take a basketball and place it on the floor.Put your chest on it and roll forward slightly keeping your knees and arms from touching the ground.Press hard into the ball and spin on it.Next,switch from side to side for scarf hold .Again,it is important not to touch the ground with knees or arms.This is even HARDER than a moving opponent.When you get real good you can even grab the ball and pop up to knee mount(knee on the rolling ball),throw a couple punches and drive your chest down HARD back into the ball.You have to stay up on the balls of your feet constantly driving your weight down into the ball.You can also use a big ball to lay on and practice popping your hips forward(to simulate passing the guard)This is one of Rigans secrets guys.He doesnt just cross chest a guy.He crushes them.Ive tapped guys out by doing switches this way.it knocks the wind out of you.

This is what the great Judo players do. Many BJJ guys look at the pin as a holding position, done right it WILL make people tap. Sometimes the pin can be a submission. My First Judo instructor would tap people from kesa gatame/scarf hold. He kept pulling the arm tighter, and pushing the weight onto your ribcage till you couldn't breathe...

If you don't do this type of pin, then you need to do something else and go fo a submission. Lying on him wothout inflicting pain is worthless if you're doing subs. Obviously no knees are allowed, or you could throw those and show him how "lame" the position is...

judogido said:
So basically the answer is yes - you are a bitch. Whose bitch is yet to be determined, but definitely a bitch regardless.

Not fair. How am I supposed to fight back when you've got incriminating pictures? Low blow.

Mirada said:
After the 30 seconds, yes.

You've already won you're imaginary judo match (of which he is not a participant) and now you're just wasting time you could spend training.

That's as far as I need to read, cause that's the friggin' truth. Your pin wasn't doing shit, and he was in fact "safe". He was going to escape once you went for something actually dangerous (because it's very rare on an even moderate level for people to tap to "discomfort"). Obviously, since you going for something resulted in him taking your back and choking you out, you are NOT equal. You are a decent Judoka with good pin skills, but he is a superior ground player.

Still, I wouldn't call you a bitch... Unless you were starting from the knees or (worse) some kind of dominant position, and you got to this pin and just refused to move. You were wasting his time and yours, just playing blanket. Yeah, maybe he should have "been working to escape", but if "after several minutes" he was just going to tap so you'd move on to something else, he was in no danger. You weren't accomplishing anything, or he'd have just TAPPED, not talked about tapping. You went for something, he escaped and tapped you. Obviously, you have good pins, why would he waste energy fighting to escape the pin if he was in no danger. You had to make space ot put him in danger, and then he escapes and beats you.

The pin in Judo is a demonstration of control over your opponent, which is viewed as being equal to submitting him, as if you can control an opponent for half a minute, you can kill him in less. Unfortunately, the sport setting has changed the mindset to "if I can hold him down, I win, I don't have to be able to acutally maintain control and finish him". In a one on one setting, if I am attacking you, and you take me down and pin me, you can hold me all day and hope for the police to arrive, but if you can only pin me, you won't win, because eventually we have to get up, and I will continue attempting to kill you. Pinning is a symbolic victory... If you can hurt someone with it, then you could make them tap (it can happen), but you weren't hurting him. You were just hugging him.

I have quite a bit of Judo experience myself, and even in Judo I hated it when folks just held pins... Most Judo schools don't spend nearly enough time on ne waza as it is, and there's guys that won't just get a pin then say "okay, I got him, moving on", they'll sit in it for the duration fo the ground time, leaving you to tap just to move on, or waste your whole ne waza time. Yes, you need experience escaping pins in Judo, and there are limited options open to you, so it IS a legitimate exercise there, but not past 25 seconds, as you're not proving anything now.

In BJJ, SW, or even self defense training, a pin is WORTHLESS if you're incapable of capitalizing on your control of the position. What you are doing is simply stalling, avoiding your friends superior submission game. You established position, held him own... but you wanted to stay there for the next several minutes. Looking at the possible applications of that, let's see:

Self Defense: You are attacked, take your opponent down and immobilize him, planning to hold him there until he wears himself out or falls asleep, or surrenders so he can go mug someone else. Meanwhile, you lie there wide open to his friends, other thugs, getting trampled in a bar fight situation, and if he isn't thrashing around like a moron wearing himself out, you are doing nothing but delaying his attack.

BJJ: You got your points for position, and if he doesn't have any, then you can just hold on for the win. However, since the pin is your only weapon, if you move at all in the course of the match (since you can't simply win with the pin), it's likely he will escape and sub you. Heaven forbid you got the pin at the beginning of the match... All the spectators, judges, and competitors are hoping the suspense kills you.

Sub Wrestling: See BJJ

MMA: You will be stood up, and he wills tart hitting you. Again. And then you will take him down and hold him again. Repeat. Insert yellow cards.

Now, since it seems like I'm chewing you out, and I'm not, I'll give you a f'rinstance:

You ever roll with a guy in ne waza that has a good turtle, and that's all he goes for? You wind up stalemated, because you can't, within the confines of Judo rules, open his turtle or sub him, and at the same time you get no experience defending anything, as he's not going for anything. You ever face "that guy", and just think "Jesus... I should just lie down and invite him to attack me", because it feels like you've wasted what little ne waza time you got?

Also, when I rolled with wrestlers in Judo, and now when I roll with Judoka or wrestlers, I'd let them take dominant position, and look to get out. Obviously, sometimes I couldn't. In those situations, sometimes I'd stop fighting and wait for them to go for something. A lot of times, they wouldn't, because they didn't know anything, or knew I'd get out.

The whole point of pin escapes in BJJ revolves around moving when the guy moves. In Judo, it's on getting certain things going to get out or reverse it. The problem is, if you get a pin locked in, you probably won't escape (otherwise, no one would win by pin). If you can't get out, and there's only a 5 minutes roll going, and the guy is gonna hold it for 5 minutes, then 5 minutes of your class have been wasted. Or at least 4 1/2.

Q mystic said:
'buddy u r dead from here'

Not if you've got nothing but a pin. You have to make space to strike, you have to move to submit (otherwise, he'd be tapping). If you can't make him tap with your pin, then he's not dead, and you're wasting both of yoru time.

Obviously, with BB, his buddy was not "dead from there", because once he tried something other than "crushing him" ("are you going to DO anything?" sounds distinctly different from "I AM BEING CRUSHED TO DEATH!!"), suddenly dude was on his back choking him out.

A pin doesn't finish a fight any more than a turtle protects you in a real fight.

Steeltwo said:
now you sprawl out and push down with your arms. So now you're lifting up their shoulders and pushing their head down.

you are now not only using your weight to crush their head, but now you've added extra pressure to the head squashing. the guy I did it to tapped in about 5 seconds because he thought he could feel his skull seperating from his brain :-D

And armbar from n/s is not easy unless you're a Nog brother.

Steeltwo, sounds like a reverse n/s canopener? Using your chest to crank their neck so that their chin is touching their chest? I like it.

And the armbar really is tough for me to get from n/s too. It's not a fast enough transition maybe. Tips from anyone on this would be appreciated.

I think it was Superbeast who mentioned the reverse n/s kimura. Looked it up. Nice! That's one I'm going to add to my non-existant n/s arsenal.

Eljamiquino: nicely stated brother. I agree with your post completely, but I think it wouldn't hurt to at least develop a couple subs. I got no n/s game other than the pin. Like Spoonman said a few posts back, never hurts to expand the game a bit.

stephensharp said:
Self Defense: You are attacked, take your opponent down and immobilize him, planning to hold him there until he wears himself out or falls asleep, or surrenders so he can go mug someone else. Meanwhile, you lie there wide open to his friends, other thugs, getting trampled in a bar fight situation, and if he isn't thrashing around like a moron wearing himself out, you are doing nothing but delaying his attack.

MMA: You will be stood up, and he wills tart hitting you. Again. And then you will take him down and hold him again. Repeat. Insert yellow cards.

self defense, you have them pinned
they can't hurt you
you have defended yourself. Who said you have to let go? Who said you can't attack them while in the n/s or move to side control? A pin can also be demoralizing. Breaking someones will to fight is the whole idea of self defense.
or if he has friends, then you can knee the pinned guy and remove the threat.

mma, n/s knees to the head. one of the worst positions you can be in if you are the bottom man. With a good hold on someone, they can't escape and will be KO'd if the attacker knows how to knee properly.

Bubble Boy said:
I'll keep it as short and to the point as I can:

Visting my good buddies submission grappling club. Him and I roll, and after nearly being submited by him a couple times, I pass his guard and get a real solid north / south on him. And I mean solid: I've got an arm tied up and I'm crushing his face and chest with my chest. He ain't going any where. So...being a judo guy I just settle in and plan on holding this pin for eternity. About 30 seconds go by and he starts to say " Are going to fucking do anything?" He says this kind of things a few times more and then finally says, "If your not going to do anything, then I'll just tap." Mind you he's saying this while being squished under a really solid hold down. So I go for an armbar just to get something moving... the end result being me getting rear naked choked to tap out.

Now, I ain't whining about getting tapped. Me and this guy are friends, so it ain't personal. If him and I rolled 10 times he'd win 5 and I'd win 5 and we both know that. We're very evenly matched.

I'm wondering whose more of a bitch? Me for just being satisfied to hold a pin (I should have not listened to him) for 5 minutes, or him for wanting to press the action. To him a pin is doing NOTHING. It is a transition move. To me it's an end in itself.

So would it be lame in your guy's eyes if I were to just hold him in a pin and not go for any subs the next time we roll? Or anytime I roll at a BJJ or Grappling gym for that matter? Is my approach lame, or legit?

Well, for Judo rules, pinning is fine. But you were rolling your friend at his grappling gym, under what I'm assuming were grappling rules. So, no. You were stalling, and he wanted to force the action. I wouldn't say either of you were a bitch, because you both did what you trained for, but he was less-so than you, since the rules applied to him.

Steeltwo said:
self defense, you have them pinned
they can't hurt you
you have defended yourself. Who said you have to let go? Who said you can't attack them while in the n/s.
if he has friends, then you can knee the pinned guy and remove the threat.

mma, n/s knees to the head. one of the worst positions you can be in if you are the bottom man. With a good hold on someone, they can't escape and will be KO'd if the attacker knows how to knee properly.

Well, there's the rub, right? In both, you gave an instance of something where you had to do MORE than pin them. Holding n/s for 4 minutes and throwing knees from that position is not the same, and you move. This, unfortunately, disturbs your base and makes openings for escapes.

And you DO have to let go eventually. Or, do you just pin him for three days, and both die from dehydration, and call it a draw? And unless you TRAIN the knees, you cannot "remove the threat", because you don't know how, and one knee is not going to "remove the threat"... You need to blast away.

The point is, BB had nothing from this position EXCEPT the pin. If he wanted to say "I'm holding this because I can blast you with knees", he could have went through the motions slowly, not acutally throwing the knee, and it would show that his buddy was "dead from there"... But, BB was "crushing" him with his chest on his face (which, as a matter of fact, would NOT allow for good knees).

The whole point is that a pin is NOT enough. It WON'T end a fight. You have to be able to strike or sub from it. I didn't think I was unclear on that, but either way, I think we see eye to eye on the use of the pin, just not in this specific instance, where I don't think that BB's pin demonstrated any presence of danger for his friend.

Back