Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Thug Rose/Pat Barry & Julia Budd/Lance Gibson come to mind...
Michelle Waterson, Angela Hill, Joanne Calderwood, Montana De La Rosa, Cortney Casey and Yana Kunitskaya have their spouses in their corner too but I'm not sure how successful we're talking here (I'd say being a pro fighter is successful enough tho)

I’ll add to that. Maryna Moroz, Ariane Lipski, Aspen Ladd, Antonia Shevchenko

In these examples the corners double as their coach

Apparently it is a very common thing for female fighters to date/marry their coaches. Seems like a weird dynamic for a relationship

Hate to be that guy to kick someone when they are down, and I know hind sight is 20/20 but I didn't have a good feeling about Hailey Cowan in LFA today. She's a pretty touted prospect but in 6 minutes got outstruck and outgrappled. She's a great athlete, I just don't see it yet as far as a fighter. I also saw some pre-fight interviews, and she mentioned that 135 is shallow and made some excuses about her last fight. Lastly are there any good/successful boyfriend/female fighter corners.

maybe she just needs a new boyfriend

<PandaHi75>

Thug Rose/Pat Barry & Julia Budd/Lance Gibson come to mind...
Michelle Waterson, Angela Hill, Joanne Calderwood, Montana De La Rosa, Cortney Casey and Yana Kunitskaya have their spouses in their corner too but I'm not sure how successful we're talking here (I'd say being a pro fighter is successful enough tho)
Does Gilbert Melendez corner his wife Keri Taylor-Melendez?

BTW Danyelle Wolf is definitely getting signed if she look anywhere close to decent during her contender fight. Dana promoted her on his instagram story yesterday and I can't remember him doing that for another normal fighter on the contender. All she has to do not be terrible and she is in.

BTW Danyelle Wolf is definitely getting signed if she look anywhere close to decent during her contender fight. Dana promoted her on his instagram story yesterday and I can't remember him doing that for another normal fighter on the contender. All she has to do not be terrible and she is in.

Agreed. She looks to be in tremendous shape, has some legit credentials to her name, and has that marketable look. All she needs to do is be somewhat competitive, and they'll snatch her up. The fact that they're having a bantamweight move up just to fight her big self, is enough proof of their interest in her. Girl, you make sure you win and you'll be fighting Zarah Fairn at Featherweight in no time.

War Roxy.

War Hottie.

Michelle and Roxanne have vast experience over their opponents and a decided advantage on the ground. That said, their opponents have physical advantages and good high-volume striking advantages.

In the end, I think both these fights end up on the ground and experience wins the day. More of a chance of this in the Hill-Waterson match as it's 5 rounds.

They showed a stat just now that Waterson has 52% striking accuracy which is #3 in SW history apparently.

That's interesting because I've seen plenty of redditards and youtube commenters saying 'ShE oNlY tHrOwS aIr KiCkS lOl So BoRiNg' constantly for the last couple of weeks (& not having seen many people saying that before). I'm lead to believe this may be because some writer called 'Jerk Slerk' has been making fun of her recently or something and so all the casuals run around parroting him I guess. Seems the stats don't back up Mr. Slerk, anyway.

What's more interesting is last week they showed Overeem as having the highest striking accuracy in the UFC (72% or something). Number two was..... 'T. Suarez'. I guess ground strikes count?... wonder who #2 in SW is between Michelle and the laser-accurate striker Tatiana is - Joanna?

They showed a stat just now that Waterson has 52% striking accuracy which is #3 in SW history apparently.

That's interesting because I've seen plenty of redditards and youtube commenters saying 'ShE oNlY tHrOwS aIr KiCkS lOl So BoRiNg' constantly for the last couple of weeks (& not having seen many people saying that before). I'm lead to believe this may be because some writer called 'Jerk Slerk' has been making fun of her recently or something and so all the casuals run around parroting him I guess. Seems the stats don't back up Mr. Slerk, anyway.

What's more interesting is last week they showed Overeem as having the highest striking accuracy in the UFC (72% or something). Number two was..... 'T. Suarez'. I guess ground strikes count?... wonder who #2 in SW is between Michelle and the laser-accurate striker Tatiana is - Joanna?
Mr. Slack has been writing disparaging things about Michelle for many years. It's weird.

Ask Felice Herrig about Waterson "air kicks"

vrkDsti.jpg

Mr. Slack has been writing disparaging things about Michelle for many years. It's weird.

Ask Felice Herrig about Waterson "air kicks"

vrkDsti.jpg
That isn't even the best kick by Waterson in that fight. Tried to find the gif but she did a high teep as Herrig came in on a straight line and kicked through her head so hard you literally saw Herrig's head turn to the side and snap back forward like a spring does in a bubble head.

I threw ATT under the bus for selling JJ out in other fights but for this specific fight they actually prepared her properly and she displayed the best counter to the patented JW oblique kick in UFC history. Waterson is beatable if you don't play to her strengths and not being predictable as Herrig was is a great way to lose.

Last edited:

1) Ground strikes count
2) She's done a lot of stat padding against low level fighters such as Angela Mangana.

Her stats aren't nearly as impressive when she fights an opponent who's actually good.

Mazo vs. Kish was fun. Kish’s comments on how she cannot let Mazo find her range and rhythm were quite prophetic - she was doing well, until that happened and when the headkick started finding its way home, that was all folks. Neat submission to end things with :)

Bummed for Avila, and doesn’t help it was Eubanks getting a W, but it is what it is.

But Roxy’s win made up for that :)

Waterson vs. Hill was damn fun! Really exciting from start to finish! They absolutely should get fight of the night bonus =)

Also glad that apparently Zingano got the W.

I have shirts for both of the main eventers tomorrow. While I never kept hard data, I stopped wearing fighter shirts on fight night because they seemed to lose. Definitely wearing one tomorrow, even though I like both fighters enough to own their shirts (2 each, actually)
I wore my Hill shirt. Curse undefeated <{nope}>

BS decision. Hill had 1, 2,and 5 with more control in fence and clinch.

good main event brawl - good to see KH being more agressive than the esparza fight. i think she under-estimated hill's TDD (which has improved greatly). angie was totally robbed though - i had her winning rounds 1, 2, and 5

Smith looked sloppy against Bell. Maybe she's undersized or age is catching up to her. Bell is tough to put away, but that's all she has going on... Leslie could've had a more convincing performance. She admited as much too.

Zingano with the comeback win against a hyper durable opponent. Again, Holloway is a durable can and that's about it. Was hoping for Cat to get a finish, but ragdolling her opponent earns her points regardless.

Carmouche with the submission win over Bennett. What a Bellator thing this was: The three UFC veterans beat larger opponents who missed weight to boot. Can't elaborate much on Carmouche's performance, I admittedly didn't watch.

Mazo beats Kish by submission. Fun fight, sloppy fighters that were evenly-ish matched. Don't care for either though.

WTF AVILA?!?! I was so confident she was going to give Sijara that nasty ass whooping Montaño was meant to take. Instead she got handled by Eubanks.

Modafferi and Lee went back and forth as expected. Neither of them was out for blood, and it showed. Lee gets another split decision loss. Happy for Roxy, she deserves the world.

The other split decision queen, Angela Hill, on the wrong end of another. As expected, fight could've gone either way and 49-46 Waterson was... Suspicious. Congrats Michelle, and props to Angela for forcing her to FIGHT. She stalked her and forced her to engage, and it payed off for both. Their stock goes up.

Back