Official Women's Division Discussion #27

While I agree with @aerius the one thing I believe would have given Carano a chance would be a teep-heavy game plan. I remember watching one of her fights, against Kedzie, I believe, in which she blasted her all over the cage using the teep. That approach *might* have kept Rousey off of her long enough to gas out.

It's possible, if she commits to it hard and sticks with it until Ronda is a gassed out mess. The problem is Carano wasn't a super-disciplined fighter like Holm and she didn't have the best gas tank either, there's a small chance she could pull it off but the odds are heavily against it.

How am I supposed to treat my insomnia without a Bennett vs. Carmouche fight?

are we really discussing if Gina had a chance against Ronda? The same Gina who has no ground game? The same Gina who had no takedown defense? The same Gina who was basically retired for years while Ronda was active and in her prime? Come on guys. It is almost like people forget how great Ronda was because of how terrible she takes losses. She was flawed but still a great fighter.

Should I even get into level of competition? I don't count the Cyborg loss much because we all know Cyborg at that point in her career when there was no testing was as her peak juiciness. After Cyborg the best fighter Gina beat was... Tonya freaking Evinger.

Knowing Invicta has had a few missed weights that have been out there as have UFC & Bellator
but what I'm trying to figure out is how did Gabrielle Halloway (150.7) & Deanna Bennett (131.7)
manage to miss so badly when Jamie Moyle had her infamous overweight that was proven
intentional considering the amount (9.1 lbs over non title weight for Strawweight).

Weekend picks

Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Hill - Waterson based simply on both getting on my nerves but one more than the other. Hopefully Waterson remembers how to grapple.
Andrea Lee vs. Roxanne Modafferi - Roxy because I am not a traitor. :)
Julia Avila vs. Sijara Eubanks - Avila
Sabina Mazo vs. Justine Kish - Mazo

Last edited:
The Bae from Uruguay

tenor.gif

I'll have a go at filling in South America:

The Colombian Coke-fiend (for Mara Borello)
The Ecuadorian Exciter
The Peruvian Punisher
The Chilean Chiller
The Bonkers Bolivian
The Brazilian Brazil-nut (for Ribas...)
The Paraguayan Paralyzer
The Uruguayan.. err... Umbrella-stand? (well what have YOU got?)
The Suriname Sexbot
The Fucking Good French-Guianan

tenor.gif

Deanna 'Disappointment' Bennett
Deanna 'Diet Dunce' Bennett
Deanna 'Disaster Zone' Bennett
'Damn it, Deanna' Bennet

Sigh, you want good things to happen for her but she never does herself any favors. She has a chance to make it in the UFC off TUF and she pretty much wall and stalls the whole fight making them never want to touch her again. The same thing that got Pearl a quick cut from the UFC. Deanna gets another opportunity to fight for Bellator even though she is one of the most boring fighters in WMMA history and she misses weight by half a Dern.

Yeah it's a shame, she's a Civilization player and a tier 1 awkward cactus poser so I want to root for her but it's become impossible :(
I started out rooting for her way back when but have slipped down the ladder some each boring stolen decision ever since, to not caring (but secretly still wanting to care).
I think rock bottom was not getting in the UFC for wall 'n' stalling her way to a draw vs a can (with the UFC signing the can instead), but this is possibly as bad. Now she just needs to get headkick KO'd by Liz to plunge to new depths.

& lol @ 'half a Dern'. As bad as this miss is it does put a full Dern in perspective again
<Oku02>

The amusing thing is the commission says she has to move to 135 for her next fight, which is obviously a division Bellator doesn't even have.

Maybe it's time for them to launch this division, with Deanna as its face?
Genius plan all along! All is forgiven.
<DCWhoa>

Last edited:
I was debating between the 3 but Tonya had WAY better names on her resume.

Fair enough, resumes don't often lie. Just figured Kedzie took part in the #2 (or even #1) bestest ladyfight of all times and Young I think is not only much more entertaining than Evinger, she has a win over UFC champion on the resume :D

Entertainment > Evinger in my books :)

Weekend picks

Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Hill - Hill
Andrea Lee vs. Roxanne Modafferi - Lee
Julia Avila vs. Sijara Eubanks - Avila
Sabina Mazo vs. Justine Kish - Mazo

I'm going for all the underdogs:

Waterson over Hill: I think she will head 'n' arm Hill to the mat at some point and submit her. 5 rounds makes this more possible. We also need @SeverianB to share his thoughts on this matchup.

Roxy over Lee: I think Lee has a bit of a chicken heart and gives up when pressured. Roxy is all about pressure... Lee is a bit better since they last fought but so is Rox....

Eubanks over Avila: I don't know why I'm making this pick actually. I keep expecting Eubanks to suddenly start submitting people but no sign of it happening yet. Maybe Avila will get overaggressive & careless ... ?

Kish over Mazo: I don't know what Mazo has done to be such a big favorite in this fight. Beating up Shana 'The Agapova Assassin' Dobson I guess? Kish has been very disappointing in the UFC (remember when she was hyped as 'omgz0r super mostest legit muay thai' before her debut...) but she's very physical, has been in with some tough fighters and got some OK wins, might be a bit to much for the waify Mazo methinks...

I'm taking:
Zingano over Holloway. As hard as she's fallen, Cat should still be miles ahead of Gabrielle. Also, Cat winning is best for business.

Smith vs Bell. Bell is a can, a tough can but a can. Smith doesn't give a poop about size difference, she'll be in Amanda's face all night long and snatch the victory.

Carmouche over Bennett. I think Liz will basically use her physical strength to control Bennett. Unless she's got a fire lit under her butt and goes back to groundin' and poundin', she'll get a decision win.

Hill over Waterson. I think Michelle will crumble under Angela's constant pressure and volume. Could go either way though, I just hope Angela wins.

Modafferi and over Lee. I always cheer for Roxy (unless she's facing Coenen), I think her grappling expertise and toughness will allow her to edge out a hard fought decision.

Avila over Eubanks. I don't trust a happy geologist, she's going to merk Sijara and then smile afterwards. Although Eubanks might put up a good fight if she can handle the pressure and power.

Mazo and Kish is a pick 'em fight for me. I personally don't care for either fighter.

Last edited:
16 year old Supergirl Jaroonsak's debut at ONE. Curious if they let Anissa Meksen execute both sisters, or just the older one.

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2020

[MUAY THAI/MMA] ONE Championship: A New Breed 2
Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – BR Live (US) / YouTube – 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT
Supergirl Jaroonsak Muay vs. Milagros Lopez

[MMA] Bellator 245: Davis vs. Machida 2
Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Main Card – Paramount Network / DAZN – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Cat Zingano vs. Gabrielle Holloway
Preliminary Card – YouTube / DAZN – 8:15pm ET / 5:15pm PT
Leslie Smith vs. Amanda Bell

[MMA] LFA 91: Njokuani vs. Torres
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Hailey Cowan vs. Kelly Clayton

[BAREKNUCKLE MMA] BKFC 12
Daytona Beach, Florida, USA
Main Card – iPPV (Bareknuckle.tv / BKFC App) – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Christine Ferea vs. Calie Cutler

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 12

[KICKBOXING] Slam Arena 2020
Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain
Main Card – iPPV (Fite.tv) – 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT
Damaris vs. Lara

[MMA] UFC Fight Night: Waterson vs. Hill
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Main Card – ESPN+ – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Hill
Khama Worthy vs. Ottman Azaitar
Andrea Lee vs. Roxanne Modafferi
Preliminary Card – ESPN+ – 5:00pm ET / 2:00pm PT
Julia Avila vs. Sijara Eubanks
Sabina Mazo vs. Justine Kish

[MMA] Bellator 246: Archuleta vs. Mix Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Main Card – Paramount Network / DAZN – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Liz Carmouche vs. DeAnna Bennett

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 13

[MUAY THAI] NJKF 2020 3rd
Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan
Main Card – YouTube – 4:00am ET / 1:00am PT
SAHO vs. Mei Umeo
KAEDE vs. Willa Saklek

https://grabakahitman.wordpress.com

Marie Ruumet vs Lommanee tomorrow.

Half a Dern?! That's a lot of weight. Too bad for Bennett.

No version of Gina Carano ever beats any version of Ronda Rousey, IMO. I think pre-injury Miriam Nakamoto (maybe with 3-4 more fights to get experience) could have beaten even prime Rousey.

In hindsight, Evinger is the best name on Carano's resume...but at the time they fought, probably Young was the best name. (i.e. Evinger got a lot better much later)

My picks: Zingano, Smith, Hill, Lee, Eubanks and Mazo. Have a great weekend everyone.

Jarl

I have shirts for both of the main eventers tomorrow. While I never kept hard data, I stopped wearing fighter shirts on fight night because they seemed to lose. Definitely wearing one tomorrow, even though I like both fighters enough to own their shirts (2 each, actually)

Hate to be that guy to kick someone when they are down, and I know hind sight is 20/20 but I didn't have a good feeling about Hailey Cowan in LFA today. She's a pretty touted prospect but in 6 minutes got outstruck and outgrappled. She's a great athlete, I just don't see it yet as far as a fighter. I also saw some pre-fight interviews, and she mentioned that 135 is shallow and made some excuses about her last fight. Lastly are there any good/successful boyfriend/female fighter corners.

Lastly are there any good/successful boyfriend/female fighter corners.
Thug Rose/Pat Barry & Julia Budd/Lance Gibson come to mind...
Michelle Waterson, Angela Hill, Joanne Calderwood, Montana De La Rosa, Cortney Casey and Yana Kunitskaya have their spouses in their corner too but I'm not sure how successful we're talking here (I'd say being a pro fighter is successful enough tho)

Back