• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official UFC on FOX 18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnett-rothwell seems to be a very contentious fight for us all.

i actually REALLY like (hesitant to say love) barnett at -130 man. hell, i liked it at -185. rothwell finished a couple flakes. he's been looking better physically but i mean, he tapped to gonzaga just 4 fights ago.. he's not too active, himself, and josh looked really solid for 25 mins vs big country after his layoff.

i think barnett is better in the clinch, better on the ground, and think they're kinda even in wrestling and ranged striking.

i think it's going all 3 rounds, even tho it's a hw bout. i actually think barnett sub is only legit chance of a finish for either side.

have some $ on barnett, o2.5, and a lil bit on rothwell dec +6xx as a psuedo-hedge. gonna add to barnett ML when i feel it's done dropping.

i don't get the rothwell love at these prices. not at all.

Josh Barnett finished two movies coming out in 2016. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038245/

He was doing voice overs 3 months ago https://www.instagram.com/joshlbarnett/

Ariel said Barnett has been tested by USADA 3 times since Jan.

12139659_814525268673130_1727311200_n.jpg

I agree with EZ the KO is unlikely, but I feel like there is a bit of danger playing the dec over the ml. Rivera is a little tank who won't stop pressing the action, Alcantara slows, and arguably the most significant improvement in Jimmie's game over his past few fights is his power in the pocket.

i think there's value, yea. or just do the ML if you wanna be safer. -3.5 could be worth a look when that's out.

I already have plays on his ML on his opener. I'm looking for a 2nd set of plays on props. @ez the -3.5 is already out btw it's set at +175.

I already have plays on his ML on his opener. I'm looking for a 2nd set of plays on props. @ez the -3.5 is already out btw it's set at +175.

not freakin bad. the first round is alcantara's best (even tho he only won 2/3 vs issa last fight, but that was issa gassing HARD after first)

i actually do like that +175. might add a lil on it.

i have like 2u rivera near evens (thanks to buddy who has a unibet account) and rivera DEC in a RR, but i do like that. small play.

bader +5.5 is +205 btw. ML is like +265.

i get that if he loses, it's likely a rd 1 (or 2?) ko, but i still think the 5.5 might be better than the ML here.

I'm looking @ Levan Makashvili (27 years old) and he's only been pro since 2013 and it sort of shows. He looks like a work-in-progress fighter to me. He definitely has the tools to become a good fighter but a few things of note that I've observed about his game.

-He has really good defensive wrestling and he explodes really well in transition.
-He throws the occasional kick and he definitely knows how, but he usually relies on his hands so he doesn't really have much variety on his attack, but he's good at that aspect but his output lacks because of it.

I think Damon Jackson at his current price maybe worth a look here. I can see Levan losing a split here if he has moments of inactivity against Damon who constantly looks to push the action. I'd like to see Levan attempt to put Jackson on his back if he really wants a clear win.

http://www.mmaoddsbreaker.com/news/full-ufc-on-fox-18-betting-odds/

Brad Taschuk

Carlos Diego Ferreira has not panned out quite like I thought he would in the UFC. He started off well enough, but has proven too passive in his most recent performances, letting his opponent dictate the fight. I see that again being his downfall here, as Olivier Aubin-Mercier will be the more aggressive fighter whether these two remain on the feet, or in attempting to secure takedowns. If it does hit the ground, I see this as a stalemate, and the fight could end up looking like Ferreira’s loss to Beneil Dariush.

The King is back from Antonio Carlos Jr. trying to turn the tables and go all King Lear on him, putting out his eye. This time, he faces a much different challenge, as Rafael Natal isn’t nearly as physically imposing as ‘Shoeface’. Natal is the better overall striker here and would do well to keep the bout at kicking range. However, he isn’t a big threat with his power, which could allow Casey to move forward and land with his improved boxing. It will be interesting to see who, if either, decides to initiate grappling in this fight, as both men have solid ground games and have been known to tire later in fights. This could be yet another spot where Casey comes in extremely undervalued by the public in a tough, but winnable, fight.

Dustin Ortiz fights are close, and fun. The man just has a way of getting into exchanges and scrambles that are a joy to watch. Wilson Reis, on the other hand, normally has close fights that are relatively boring. I’m interested to see which fighter’s style dictates this fight, but I have a feeling it will be Ortiz, and he’ll end up taking a decision because of it. This is the type of bout where I wouldn’t hesitate to bet the +3.5 points handicap on either fighter as an underdog, because however it plays out, we could all be scratching our heads going to the scorecards.

George Sullivan has been all over the map in terms of his UFC performances thus far. He looked great early on, terrified against Tim Means, and then had quite a bit of trouble against a short notice Dom Waters. I think he’ll benefit by facing a smaller welterweight in this fight, as he should be able to employ his pressure wrestling against Alexander Yakovlev, whose only highlights in the UFC thus far have been surviving against Demian Maia, and beating up the corpse of Gray Maynard (in Yakovlev’s lone 155lb bout). I don’t see myself betting Sullivan here however.

Masio Fullen seems like the fighter the UFC keeps in their back pocket to get a struggling featherweight a win. After losing three in a row, Alex Caceres definitely qualifies as struggling, and this is the perfect pick-me-up. Taking his absurd loss against Edwin Figueroa out of the equation, Caceres has only lost to ranked bantamweights and Masanori Kanehara (who has been competitive with some of the best in the division). Fullen is a massive step down in competition for him, and I expect Caceres to handle his business here, even if he does put himself in a compromising position or two along the way.

Damon Jackson has found phenomenal ways to lose in the Octagon thus far, and while Levan Makashvili isn’t the dynamic finisher that Yancy Medeiros or Rony Jason is, he should be the better wrestler than Jackson, and the former Legacy champ isn’t much of a threat on the feet. I have to think these fighters continue trending in the directions we’ve seen thus far in the UFC.

Tony Martin is right up at the top of the list of fighters you absolutely cannot trust. He might come out, take Felipe Olivieri down and submit him immediately, and I still wouldn’t go anywhere near Martin in his next fight. Oliveiri is dangerous enough on the feet to hurt Martin, and active enough on the ground to keep himself out of bad positions. I’d be interested to see how this fight will play out in the second and third rounds, as Martin always slows down late and we haven’t seen enough of Oliveiri late in fights to know how he’ll look.

Randy Brown has some hype behind him, but he’s still extremely raw and I haven’t seen enough of him to really feel confident. Dwyer has already proven better in the UFC than anyone expected, and this could be another spot where he ends up extremely undervalued. A more seasoned, lanky striker could be the type of guy that gives a raw fighter like Brown some serious problems. If the public backs the debuting fighter and pushes this line further, I’ll probably have to take a shot on the underdog.

Hometown fighters:
- Rivera
- Natal
- Yakovlev and Sullivan
- Makashvili

i think there's value, yea. or just do the ML if you wanna be safer. -3.5 could be worth a look when that's out.

Can you explain what the -3,5 means? (30-27), (30-27) should be +6 right in that regard?

My main card b/ds (spoilered due to long read- but picks embolden)

Natal vs Casey (Natal via split decision)
Casey a black belt in bjj, has 3 kos and 3 sub wins sporting a 9-3 record, mixed performances more recently within the last few years. We know he has struggled with weight cuts in the past and is a pretty big muscular guy and was caught (steroids) and suspended back in 2014, regardless he hits hard and likes to stand and bang and load up on his big punches, has low to average wrestling and take downs but once on top likes to gnp, he has shown he can put his black belt in bjj to good use securing backs and better positions for gnp and subs but not as consistent. Natal is a 4th degree bjj, 8 subs and 3 kos, he likes to stand and work his jabs in bunches and has a lovely body kick. Has shown he can go for take downs and work his game to control opponents while on top, a known grinder against the cage also, this approach makes it difficult for opponents to get into a there game. While Casey has powerful hands early on, his power and speed does fade quickly, I suspect natal who is the much more well rounded and experienced mma fighter to work his grinding wrestling and take down style on casey for 3 rounds here mixed in with some striking, I like natal via split decision.

OAM vs Carlos(OAM via decision)
OAM is a young, powerful well rounded mma fighter, black belt in judo, brown belt in bjj, blue belt taekwondo. He pretty much does it all, good variety of strikes including heavy striking and nice body kicks but has adopted his judo and jiu jitsu well to serve his grinding take down game which he does well, once on the ground he has strong body locks and works his gnp or submission game. Carlos also trains bjj, boxing style, is a 3rd degree bjj and has shown his defensive jiu jitsu skills on the ground during his more recent matches. This is an interesting fight I originally was considering another point which rebel mentioned could OAM simply run into Carlos jiu jitsu game, but having watched Carlos more recent match ups I have to still consider OAM here, he is much more muscular and stronger during clinches and strong on top position or back, his relentless approach is suffering and he should be able to control carlos here. I like OAM via decision.

Jake vs Tarec (Tarec via deicison)
Jake an NCAA Div 2 wrestler, with powerful take downs and wrestling backed with his heavy hands, the big question mark with Jake is where he is at atm. I also think Jake has been put against no 1-3 ranked opponents or 10 and lost to them making him appear worse then he has been. Tarec is well rounded as they come sporting a black belt bjj, black belt in karate, red belt in tae kwon do and green belt in judo, he prefers to use his quick jabs in opponents faces and foot work keeping opponents
just within range to land his heavy and fast leg kicks. Jake could attempt to do what rory/lim recently done and time saf coming in but those opponents were much taller and had a long reach advantage, Jake will struggle closing the gap here to replicate that kind of success short of a knock down and gnp finish I have to give it to saff to out point him for 3 rounds to a decision here, its just saff safety go to style.

Bryan Barberena vs Sage (Sage via ko)
Bryan otherwise known as bam bam, is 6.0 tall, 80% of his wins are ko, he is young at 26, always looking for the ko and prefers his bunches in punches approach while relying much on his beard, he showed good defence while striking recently against chad laprise, but bam bam showed he is not as an diverse striker or athletic to give that extra edge, he also got taken down by a green ellenberger. Sage currently the biggest hype in the ufc, young, athletic and an explosive striker, has good skills in all areas of the game (from past fights) but his speed and power is deadly, I don't think Bryan has the wrestling or take downs to give sage issues in this fight, and his beard and chin will be tested quick and early on resulting in a sage finish most likely ko, prefer the under 1.5 here.

Luri vs Riveria (Luri via split decision)
Luri is MT striker (5x state champ) and a regional black belt jiu jitsu champ, prefers to use his long jabs and rangy strikes to keep opponents at range so he can use his variety of body to head high kicks, he is also creative on the ground and in top position with his tricky guard and with his submissions, despite being 35 only 1 sub and 1 ko loss, sporting a 32-6 record he is as experienced as he is well roundedness in the game. Rivera is only 26, but has an impressive record with 18-1 record, but it should be noted 67% of those wins came via decision. As pointed out earlier by rebel certain question marks about why he suddenly started getting kos. Regardless have to look at the styles, Rivera throws full power into most of his strikes, sure they come lesser in volume but he racks up strong significant strikes as he keeps opponents backing up or constantly in defence. Look for rivera to do the same, mix in his powerful hands with strong body kicks it only takes 1-2 for rivera to change the fight in his favour, rivera also closes the gap well with his powerful strikes. Luri imo is a live underdog here, he fights long and lean with his MT style and throws decent volume, his strikes are also cleaner, we have seen accuracy and technical striking can make rivera buckle at times. I like Riveria r1 ko, otherwise I think Luri becomes a decent dog here he may pepper away his long jabs and body kicks on a slowing down rivera from r2. My Pick is Luri via split decision, perhaps hedged with r1 ko riveria.

Ben vs Josh (Josh decision)
Ben prefers to strike, has an impressive resume of 35 wins and 9 losses (20kos, 12 subs) he also has a purple belt in bjj. Ben relies much on his gritty determination, his heart and chin and just goes for the ko with heavy punches and heavy low kicks. Josh is also a vet in the sport with a 34 wins and 7 losses (8 ko/20 subs), he is a catch wrestler but also has an 2nd degree black belt in bjj also, while he has submitted great opponents in the past, more recently he has looked to strike with strong low leg kicks to hks, used short jabs to work opponents and look for his trade mark style of heavy knees in clinches. This is a heavy weight fight so anything can happen here, but I imagine josh looks to avoid ben closing the gap and landing his best work with his big punches early on, if josh survives early on he will then look to use his weight and size in clinches with knees to the body and dirty boxing. Its hard to ignore Josh coming in, he should be the more technical and accurate striker with better volume, and is deadly during clinches against the cage and his wrestling and jiu jitsu is excellent to prevent ben getting much success here. I oddly think ben has a good chin on him and may make josh work to a decision here, maybe hedged with under 1.5 or ben r1 ko.

AJ vs Bader (AJ r1 ko, Bader decision)
Aj is a powerful striker, heavy punches and kicks with good variation, accuracy and the ability to end a fight in one punch. He showed he has powerful wrestling with take downs but much prefers to strike, however I still feel all that muscle and power saps his cardio and heart much by end of r2 and r3. Bader has shown steady improvements in striking and always improving his main strengths in
wrestling, grappling and take downs(NCAA div 1 wrestler + 2x DI all american/3x pac champ). I also feel bader has made nice changes to his game in avoiding big shots, simple foot work and head movement and keeping his hands up takes much of the power away from opponents during quick striking exchanges. I like bader as an underdog but can not dispute AJ being the firm straight up favourite but if AJ does not get the ko finish in r1 or early r2, I could see bader ramping up his point scoring ability, slowly wading in and finding his timing to get his superior wrestling and take downs going, bader may go for a sub if he gets rumbles back position, but would not be surprised if he tries to coast to a decision to secure his overdue, not ufc endorsed title shot. The pick Rumble ko r1, hedged with bader decision or bader sub in r4/r5.

my other b/d of prelims here:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/official-ufc-on-fox-18-thread.3145819/page-17#post-112888443

Think a lot of us are on the same things, but not surprising. This card seems eerily predictable.

Nice! Whats your thoughts about OAM vs Ferreira? Thinking about pulling the trigger on OAM with 2u. I think he will get bet.

I still feel after tape and my bd, OAM is the right pick he is younger, more aggressive and relentless with his grinding take down style, the muscle and power will be the difference over Ferreira I like OAM decision, but think if your going to hedge, ferreira via sub.

At first glance I favored Ortiz but I think the safer pick is to just take the o2.5

Ortiz is usually a guy who likes to grind you out and his wrestling is usually a factor in most of his fights but he kind of needs to be careful that he doesn't get swept here by Reis. In a sense, Ortiz with his wrestling plays into Reis' strengths a bit. Also Ortiz gets into a lot of split decisions in his career so far.

I'm also looking into Carlos Diego Ferriera (CDF*) to upset Mercier. I feel like Mercier is also playing into CDF's strength in grappling with him and that could lead into a close fight. The odds are ripe right now at +245 I'll wait to see if he keeps on climbing. I think OAM's sheer size and physicality will be his biggest advantage going into this but CDF is pretty smooth on the mat.

Does anyone know why Jimmie Rivera has been getting so many KO's later in his career? Seeing him in his UFC fights thus far, I can't put 2 and 2 together. Why hasn't he been scoring KO's earlier in his career with such heavy hands?

Totally in agreement with ortiz via split decision, just makes fights too close but judges like him too bit like natal imo, prefer OAM still after watching tape just the more stronger guy to muscle carlos around for 2 rounds at least but again in a close fight. I noticed that too about rivera and mentioned it in my b/d its odd, if riveria is juicing or not still have to pick the winner I actually prefer riveria ko r1 and if Luri survives r1 I like him to snatch a split decision with his rangy long jabs and MT work.

bader +5.5 is +205 btw. ML is like +265.

i get that if he loses, it's likely a rd 1 (or 2?) ko, but i still think the 5.5 might be better than the ML here.

Yup, prefer Aj r1 ko or r2, from there I like bader to take over possible with a sub or he will play it safe to a decision and long overdue title shot, which is probably the only one he gets in his career:)

I'm looking @ Levan Makashvili (27 years old) and he's only been pro since 2013 and it sort of shows. He looks like a work-in-progress fighter to me. He definitely has the tools to become a good fighter but a few things of note that I've observed about his game.

-He has really good defensive wrestling and he explodes really well in transition.
-He throws the occasional kick and he definitely knows how, but he usually relies on his hands so he doesn't really have much variety on his attack, but he's good at that aspect but his output lacks because of it.

I think Damon Jackson at his current price maybe worth a look here. I can see Levan losing a split here if he has moments of inactivity against Damon who constantly looks to push the action. I'd like to see Levan attempt to put Jackson on his back if he really wants a clear win.

Levan does get a bit inactive at times, I think he slows down a bit in r2 saving a bit more cardio and energy for r3 he makes fights much closer then it needs due to this style but he has shown some nice take downs and defence more lately, jackson is decent dog with his grinding and relentless wrestling still, I feel both guys cancel each other out well with there own styles, think its going to be a bit lack luster but it goes to decision and the overs hit.

Maia vs brown May 14th

Its only the co main event so not a 5 rounder..... Vitor vs Souza however is the main and 5 rounder.

@Ukram

I appreciate the breakdowns, but I think I am on the total opposite of you on the sage fight lol. I am not overly confident or anything, but I am on the o1.5 and am looking to play Sage not KO (I already played Sage not itd small, but I wish I waited to play not KO instead).

Besides that, I more or less agree with everything else here (I have not checked your prelim breakdowns yet)

@Ukram

I appreciate the breakdowns, but I think I am on the total opposite of you on the sage fight lol. I am not overly confident or anything, but I am on the o1.5 and am looking to play Sage not KO (I already played Sage not itd small, but I wish I waited to play not KO instead).

Besides that, I more or less agree with everything else here (I have not checked your prelim breakdowns yet)

You could be right the last fight it was close to the o1.5, I just noticed something about bam bam being slower and more basic footwork and willing to strike, I think ufc is pairing him with that match up to let sage unleash, he also looked even more of an street fighter character in a pic I posted few pages back, maybe due to no weight cut ?

Should be fun either way lol

You could be right the last fight it was close to the o1.5, I just noticed something about bam bam being slower and more basic footwork and willing to strike, I think ufc is pairing him with that match up to let sage unleash, he also looked even more of an street fighter character in a pic I posted few pages back, maybe due to no weight cut ?

Should be fun either way lol
By the way, I'm not really basing this off of anything technical. It is more of a gut feeling. Furthermore, Barb was already training for a fight, and he is training out of MMA Lab which is a very good training camp with very tough and gritty fighters with Barb being no exception. I don't really know how to word this, but I think Barb is a very tough test for the career of a young fighter. He has also never been TKOed and the majority of his fights go over 1.5.

Fwiw, this is all coming from a guy who is looking to play Barb in this fight.

And definitely! It should be a very fun fight lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back