RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Jake Paul vs Woodley RBR PPV 8/29

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Kung Fu Kowboy, Aug 27, 2021.

?

Winner?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2021.
  1. Jake Paul

47.5%
  2. Woodley

52.5%
  1. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Yeah, he’s fallen off. I’m not sure if it’s mental or physical. He seems to have lost his edge somewhere along the way.

2. bambambigelow Purple Belt

I'm quite shocked at how little Tyron had trained boxing skills his entire MMA career. But I was already shocked when Frank Mir, a guy who had been in the sport what 20 years? tried to step into the boxing ring with even worse stand up.

3. ironfist05 Silver Belt

Wilder only trained for a little while and got a bronze at the olympics right? I suppose that isn't pro success, but it isn't something to be entirely dismissed either.

4. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

the details are still foggy on that as well. all we know about his history is based on what came out of his mouth, and he says a lot of ridiculous shit.

regardless, wilder is an outlier in every sense and i’m sure you’ll agree. possibly the worst technique i’ve ever seen at the level he’s fighting at, and his fights usually end with him getting his hand raised. it’s abundantly clear that wilder is still not a well-schooled fighter and probably never will be but his right hand is miraculous.

ironfist05 likes this.
  5. krelianx Gold Belt

Frank is a much better boxer than Tyron.

6. ironfist05 Silver Belt

yeah I'll agree on his poor technique for sure. Just a freakish physiical ability, and anyhow, that was ammy level, no pros

KAZSoliloquy likes this.
  7. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

i feel like my post was kinda dickish dude my bad. he’s a great fighter. i don’t want to seem like i don’t like him lmao he’s just got really bad form on his punches

ironfist05 likes this.
  8. ironfist05 Silver Belt

nah lmao nothing to apologize about dude, I didn't read that as dickish at all. Wilder is just a weird fighter (and your argument is correct: he's not necessarily a technically sound fighter). There are probably some other guys that grabbed a title after a few years, but they're few and far between at best.

9. Thanatos2 Green Belt

He says he's in boxing for real, and committed to it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and stating if he wants to keep people like me watching, he needs to fight actual boxers.

10. Thanatos2 Green Belt

Winning the belt started it, that was a nice KO on Robbie Lawler. But he started fighting safe and plodding after Lawler, so I'd say it probably started there. He showed flashes of it in the Wonderboy fights, as he almost finished him, but I think the Usman fight was where it was finally put to rest.

11. Thanatos2 Green Belt

I was referring more to when Woodley had Jake hurt, he barely pursued him. The Woodley that KO'd Robbie Lawler would have gone for the kill, but Woodley isn't that fighter anymore.

12. Thanatos2 Green Belt

That's part of it, certainly, but it's not all of it. The Woodley that fought Lawler or Dong Hyung Kim would actually chase you for the finish, whereas when Woodley had Paul hurt, he didn't really chase him, he didn't attempt to really end the fight.

Also, Woodley, despite having power, is still an MMA fighter, where kicks, clinchwork with elbow and knees, wrestling and submissions are part of his toolbelt, tools he couldn't employ in a pure boxing setting. Woodley even at his best, was known for the threat of his wrestling, not predominantly his striking, but if he had you hurt, he would go for the finish, an instinct clearly lost in my eyes.

13. krelianx Gold Belt

He dropped Robbie flush with a right counter and then teed off of him against the cage when down, and Kim was on fours when Tyron teed off of him. He never had Jake in that kind of position or trouble. But of course he had none of his other tools, that is not bound to him being in or out of his prime, but him not being in MMA. The point was his boxing sucks, and has always sucked.

14. the Kowboy I'll make you Famous Staff Member Senior Moderator

207 votes for Woodley

{<jordan}

MacGregor and KAZSoliloquy like this.
  15. zapataxiv Silver Belt

there's still a chance

Kung Fu Kowboy likes this.
  16. Jibsta69 Brown Belt

This idea that Twood is a boxer needs to be put to rest. Boxing is more then a overhand right which all Woodley had. Watch his fights with Shields or Rory MacDonald. If he can’t land his one move then he goes into a shell and is like afraid to do anything.

While I agree it’s embarrassing an experience mma fighter that has trained striking much longer then Paul who is nothing more then an amateur boxer but it just shows the problem Twood had throughout his mma career.

17. Ninjaskillz6&9yakuza Banned Banned

Its a myth that Woodley didn't try enough, he did but was getting tagged when he got too close. Even in round four after he put Paul through the ropes, few moments later he got rocked himself

18. crysis Purple Belt

training for 3 years but he's participated in boxing since he was younger up till now as his workouts/exercise so he essentially has way more than 3 years experience, the last 3 years with professional coaches and trainers to help him get better.

that's like saying you started playing guitar at 5 years old but started taking lessons when you were 16 for 3 years and saying you've only been playing guitar 3 years, no you've been playing from 5 years old up to 19 years old which is a lot more than 3 years, same shit with jake

GeneTunney7 likes this.
  19. GoofMaster93 Banned Banned

[​IMG]

Big Nasty Edison likes this.