Official Judo Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is consided the most violent judo throw ?

I'd say Harai Makikomi. That said, you get thrown on a hard surface with just about any throw and you're probably not getting up.

That flying scissor throw can wreck knees like nobody's business, apparently.

Hmmmm, I dont know why, but everyone has been scared of kanibasami.
It really depends on the person teaching you the throw' if you try to learn it off YouTube, Im sure you will end up with the variation, sending people to the doctor.
Proper kanibasami is a backwards sacrifice throw, with front leg blocking the hips of the opponent and back leg sweaping his heels.
Your crotch doesnt even come closer to his leg, let alone the knee.
Unfortunatelly (and I have seen this up to national team level), many people learn kanibasami as a knee damaging technic and do it on purpose, or they try to get details of it from the net, so basically all of them have been doing it without proper instruction.
If you drop your weight on the opponents leg, his knee or heel will crumble...
I love sacrifice throws and have been using kanibasami quite often. I have never injured people with it (even when I was 120 kg and people were cringing, seeing big guy going for fast kanibasami).
I have seen intentional variations though and that have to show for one's sportsmanship.
But in the end, bad intention kanibasami is not that different from bad intentions makikomi :)

Soto makikomi's pretty brutal.

So I've been thinking about working on my uchi mata and was watching this video (I'll post the link in case anyone wants to work on their one step) but I just couldn't get it through my brain very well since he's a lefty.

Basically, its a competition variation.
He talks about difficulties, entering with uchimata against stiff hands and recommends wrapping the opponent's sleeve gripping arm around your stomach, in order to cut distance.
Then he shortcuts the 3 steps entry to only 2, by putting his foot in 180 degrees angle from the opponent.
That's pretty much the whole idea.
I would not recommend this with heavy boys though :)
Had my ankle blown with weird angles like this, a few years ago.

Basically, its a competition variation.
He talks about difficulties, entering with uchimata against stiff hands and recommends wrapping the opponent's sleeve gripping arm around your stomach, in order to cut distance.
Then he shortcuts the 3 steps entry to only 2, by putting his foot in 180 degrees angle from the opponent.
That's pretty much the whole idea.
I would not recommend this with heavy boys though :)
Had my ankle blown with weird angles like this, a few years ago.

Thanks, I had no idea what he was saying but still thought I'd give this version of it a shot.

Most of the guys at my club are shorter than me which is why I'm wanting to give uchi mata a go, plus I have pretty nice uchikomi but I rarely do a traditional turn in for any of my go to throws.

Thanks, I had no idea what he was saying but still thought I'd give this version of it a shot.

Most of the guys at my club are shorter than me which is why I'm wanting to give uchi mata a go, plus I have pretty nice uchikomi but I rarely do a traditional turn in for any of my go to throws.

Remember that the traditional turn is made from and for Japanese.
Most of the Europeans have difficulties doing Japanese taiotoshi entry, because of the forearm length difference :)
That is why I am a big fan of customizing the style for the physical needs of every athlete.
If you have long arms and a big trunk, there is no way you could be doing traditional judo.

PS. I just wrote this short article, for competition judo conditioning.
http://yagadome.com/sport-specific-training-judo/
Let me know your feedback, guys!

What is the softest and most comfortable judogi out there, that's a reasonable price? My double weave is like a giant tank of a gi, and it's so abrasive that I have to wear it with a rashguard, making it hot as hell. By the end of practice it must weight 12 pounds, soaked with sweat and just general yuckiness.

I'd like to wear a single weave with no rashguard, stay cool.

I have an entry level Adidas "club" gi. It's a single weave and it's extremely light and soft yet durable enough to train and compete in. Compared to my double weave, it's perfect for summer training plus it has the added bonus of not destroying my washing machine and hang-drying very quickly!

9199-2.jpg

Remember that the traditional turn is made from and for Japanese.
Most of the Europeans have difficulties doing Japanese taiotoshi entry, because of the forearm length difference :)
That is why I am a big fan of customizing the style for the physical needs of every athlete.
If you have long arms and a big trunk, there is no way you could be doing traditional judo.

PS. I just wrote this short article, for competition judo conditioning.
http://yagadome.com/sport-specific-training-judo/
Let me know your feedback, guys!

Huh. I never knew that. Something to think about, definitely.

Huh. I never knew that. Something to think about, definitely.

We are quite different with the Japanese actually.
Think of this- if you want to do certain sumo technic, would you like to do it in a way someone with your built and strength does it successfully or you would learn it from a 160 kg Japanese guy with shorter arms?

What is consided the most violent judo throw ?

Hard to argue with Daki-age, I think. The most violent LEGAL throw in my opinion is yoko gake. I've never been so close to being knocked out than when being thrown with yoko gake while helping my (now) ex-girlfriend prep for her shodan test. My instructor annihilated me with it. Unfortunately it's hard to find videos that convey how violent an impact it is. I did come across this one, which demonstrates how hard of a throw it can be better than most others, but you can imagine how much harder it would be if tori was actually putting something behind it.

02:50 or so.

It's such a violent throw that usually when you see it demonstrated, uke will do everything in their power to not take the fall like the guy in that video did. But when done correctly - when done to someone who is unsuspecting and/or resisting, the impact is tremendous. Everything just goes straight down.

Last edited:
So I wore my shiny new KuSakura jacket last night. It's made according to the new IJF regs in mind, so has the most wizardly of sleeves.

Finally, I was able to catch someone with sode guruma jime.

We are quite different with the Japanese actually.
Think of this- if you want to do certain sumo technic, would you like to do it in a way someone with your built and strength does it successfully or you would learn it from a 160 kg Japanese guy with shorter arms?

It's a good point. I see a big difference in throws like seio nage and tai otoshi especially, because the Japanese tend to have shorter legs and arm for their height and it really changes how they enter and complete throws. Their hips are just naturally lower relative to their height which really changes their center of gravity.

It's a good point. I see a big difference in throws like seio nage and tai otoshi especially, because the Japanese tend to have shorter legs and arm for their height and it really changes how they enter and complete throws. Their hips are just naturally lower relative to their height which really changes their center of gravity.

I have incredibly short stumpy legs for my height, along with really long arms. Basically like an ape. Still trying to figure out what throws are best suited for such a physique. I have the low hips and heavy legs of a Japanese player, with the long reach and long arms of a Western player.

So far the consensus of my teachers seems to be that I'm best suited to harai goshi/osoto combos.

I have incredibly short stumpy legs for my height, along with really long arms. Basically like an ape. Still trying to figure out what throws are best suited for such a physique. I have the low hips and heavy legs of a Japanese player, with the long reach and long arms of a Western player.

So far the consensus of my teachers seems to be that I'm best suited to harai goshi/osoto combos.

Too bad they removed leg grabbing.
You could use the reach for distance control and superior grips, while been out of danger.
Here is a tip of what you could do under different rule set:
All judo throws require your opponent to bring his hips or legs close to you (as opposed to wrestling, for example), so with a lapel grip you could counter easily by pushing your opponent back exactly when he enters, putting him out of balance and then grab the leg. Then simply drive forward.
Under recent IJF rules, I could suggest you to grab the back, the armpit, the waist and enter for whatever throw you are practicing, adding more strength to it (compared to simply lapel grip, which will bend your wrist in a weird way, because of the forearm length, hence the lack of power in the gripping hand).

Sounds like you're best suited to ankle picks. Oh well, those days have passed.

Sode would probably also be a good option.

Exactly.
Advantage of long legs comes when you use them for outside blocking (the video of yoko gake a few posts up is a good example) and any sacrifice throw.
Long legs also means higher hips, so I would avoid anything with "koshi" or "uchi" in it :)
Japanese are good exactly in those and its rare to see them doing big step throws, because they just don't have the legs for it.

I know what you are saying by yoko gake. I was thinking of nominating it myself. It's a hard fall no matter what you do as uke. Often you slam your head too and not a damn thing you can do.

Luckily it's a hard throw to do, so you rarely have to take that fall. It's said you can tell how good someone's nage no kata is just by looking at their yoko gake. Good yoko gake = good Judo.

Japanese are good exactly in those and its rare to see them doing big step throws, because they just don't have the legs for it.

:icon_chee

[YT]watch?v=ENVwdnJ2azY[/YT]

Soto makikomi's pretty brutal.

So I've been thinking about working on my uchi mata and was watching this video (I'll post the link in case anyone wants to work on their one step) but I just couldn't get it through my brain very well since he's a lefty.

Anyway, I found this and just in case anybody else struggles with it here's a link for mirroring youtube videos http://amacfie.github.io/MirrorYouTubeVideos/

It's probably just me though.

One step uchimata is a difficult technique, because it is physically difficult (though not super difficult) and also because of the timing required. Furthermore, you lose one important factor for a successful uchimata, and that is your pull. You need to compensate for this by making uke bend over somehow, whether by your grips, movement, or ashiwaza combination. And it can't be a static bend over, but while moving, or else it'll be too easy to hold you out with the arms.

So all this put together makes it that it requires a lot of experience to hit. Good luck!

One step uchimata is a difficult technique, because it is physically difficult (though not super difficult) and also because of the timing required. Furthermore, you lose one important factor for a successful uchimata, and that is your pull. You need to compensate for this by making uke bend over somehow, whether by your grips, movement, or ashiwaza combination. And it can't be a static bend over, but while moving, or else it'll be too easy to hold you out with the arms.

So all this put together makes it that it requires a lot of experience to hit. Good luck!

I don't think you lose that much pull, you just pull off your posting leg rather than your sweeping leg (prior to sweeping). The biggest thing is you need really flexible hips since you're condensing the turn into one step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back