Official Judo Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long and how much practice does it take to develop the (what looks to my eye) incredibly fast and fluid footwork and step ins that the genuinely good judokas have?

How long and how much practice does it take to develop the (what looks to my eye) incredibly fast and fluid footwork and step ins that the genuinely good judokas have?

No magic number. The longer you do it the better it'll look - even past black belt level.

If you want some numbers... it takes about 2000 mat hours to be a decent shodan.

Just did my first three-class week (two judo, one bjj).

I hurt.

For anyone who saw the TUF fight Patrick Walsh vs Anton Berzin last week anyone know the name of that throw Patrick did ? That shit was vicious.

For anyone who saw the TUF fight Patrick Walsh vs Anton Berzin last week anyone know the name of that throw Patrick did ? That shit was vicious.

Just going off memory I think it was harai goshi. Someone feel free to to correct me if I'm wrong

Just going off memory I think it was harai goshi. Someone feel free to to correct me if I'm wrong

I just youtubed it and you're right. He did it with double underhooks too.

You just said you Youtubed it...

I searched myself, but I couldn't find anything but post-fight interviews.

Found one :D
Judo-Toss.gif

That's the best throw for mma right there, harai off overhook.

I got hit by a harai goshi in randori once. Was not prepared and just took it full force.

I literally got the wind knocked out of me (didn't know that was possible until then) and couldn't move for over a minute.

Wonder if the same happened for that fellow.

Two hours hard training tonight, back feels very solid. Very happy as I was worried that the injury that kept me out for two weeks might be tenacious.

I got hit by a harai goshi in randori once. Was not prepared and just took it full force.

I literally got the wind knocked out of me (didn't know that was possible until then) and couldn't move for over a minute.

If it didn't knock the wind out of him, it certainly did the fight.

I hollered like a drunk redneck when Irish hit that throw.

If it didn't knock the wind out of him, it certainly did the fight.

I hollered like a drunk redneck when Irish hit that throw.

That's the best throw for mma right there, harai off overhook.
I disagree.

IMO, most footsweeps are better for MMA. They've caught ukes off guard more than the big forward throws, don't expose the back (like Rousey/Carmouche), and don't require as much setup.

Harai Gosh or . . . O Guruma? :icon_lol:
post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M_zps254c8291.gif

The worst falls I've personally taken have all been okuri ashi barai.

I don't know what it is about that throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back