Official Judo Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that its not going to be as simple as hopping on a plane, taking a cab to the kodokan, throwing a few boys around and getting a plane ride back with a new shiny dan grade.
You would have to invest some time in developing a relation with some sensei/mentor somehow and basically get it blessed through him.

This.
Plus, getting 1st dan is a piece of cake.
Going to 2 dan though, is to beat people who are most probably university competitors (weekly competitions against other universities) or guys who have judo on their mind for some serious reasons.
3 dan in Japan is already the level of some of the Olympic competitors.

Last edited:
Onq, that story about the tourney was hilarious. Well done.

I had one of the roughest practices in a while yesterday. It was physically and mentally draining all around. It was the first time I was actually hoping that there would be no randori towards the end. I'm currently nursing four various randori-related injuries, and I didn't think I had anything in the gas tank to help avoid any more or exacerbating the ones I already had.

Also, I'm getting gently pushed into competing earlier than I was expecting. Methinks I should ramp up the at home uchikomi for prep.

Keep in mind that its not going to be as simple as hopping on a plane, taking a cab to the kodokan, throwing a few boys around and getting a plane ride back with a new shiny dan grade.
You would have to invest some time in developing a relation with some sensei/mentor somehow and basically get it blessed through him.
Ah, with my job, I doubt I'd have the time to spend at Japan for any real length of time. Staying beyond the average vacation length (1-2 weeks) would be infeasible.

This.
Plus, getting 1st dan is a piece of cake.
Going to 2 dan though, is to beat people who are most probably university competitors (weekly competitions against other universities) or guys who have judo on their mind for some serious reasons.
3 dan in Japan is already the level of some of the Olympic competitors.
Yeah, my sensei basically told me that before. He said that it's much easier to be a shodan in Japan than outside of the country, but past sandan, you're dealing with godly judoka.

What is the softest and most comfortable judogi out there, that's a reasonable price? My double weave is like a giant tank of a gi, and it's so abrasive that I have to wear it with a rashguard, making it hot as hell. By the end of practice it must weight 12 pounds, soaked with sweat and just general yuckiness.

I'd like to wear a single weave with no rashguard, stay cool.

What is the softest and most comfortable judogi out there, that's a reasonable price? My double weave is like a giant tank of a gi, and it's so abrasive that I have to wear it with a rashguard, making it hot as hell. By the end of practice it must weight 12 pounds, soaked with sweat and just general yuckiness.

My judogi experience is pretty narrow, as I only have two Fuji single weaves (white/blue), and two Mizuno Yusho Comps (white/blue), but I gotta say, I'm a HUGE fan of the Yusho Comp.

It's a pseudo double weave that still feels like silk on my skin.

I wear a Padilla and Sons BJJ gi most of the time. Strong enough for Judo but not overly heavy, and it doesn't have any patches so I never get called out for it. I do have a huge double weave Tiger Claw that I used to wear to compete but it's a little heavy for practice.

Currently I'm using Moskito, that I got as a gift from a friend.
The goddamn thing is hard as hell and it's easier to grip a wall, then the judo gi, but that's why I love it.
I'm not a big fan of towel- like judogis. My previous one was Isami.
I'm planning to get an old Adidas or Mizuno, next time I go to Japan. Or maybe a Kusakura.

Fuji brand is cheap and durable. 80 bucks for double, but maybe you'd like single.

My general philosophy in gis, whether for judo or BJJ, is to get the most comfortable and lightweight gi possible, as long as it's reasonably durable. I'm not trying to get an advantage over my sparring partners, so there's no reason to get some massive indestructible tank of a gi that wrecks the hands of anybody who dares to attempt a grip. Yet because I asked to buy a gi from my school, as a gesture of support and solidarity, they sold me just such a gi, which I have spent months training in.

Part of the problem is that I'm a maximal-effort, all the time, type of trainer, so over a 2 hour training session I am constantly soaked in sweat from top to bottom. It's gross and my gi is unbelievably heavy as a result, like I had jumped in a pool. Plus it's turning quite yellow. For many reasons, this path must end.

So it's really not so much price or durability I care about as much as comfort. This has always been No. 1 with me. For BJJ, I strongly prefer Vulkan gis as they are super comfy and reasonably durable, albeit pricey. I'm basically looking for the equivalent in a judo gi.

Ah, the Yusho Comp is a pseudo double, so you definitely wouldn't like it for summer training. My gi is soaked from shoulders to knees at the end of our two hour practices.

BUT

Judging my comfort alone, the interior feels like goddamn silk compared to every gi I've ever had.

would the yusho be decent for crosstraining if i don't mind wearing a double?

i don't even mind wearing my eurocomps to BJJ but they're 7 years old and feel like sandpaper. i'm sure everybody appreciates that.

Zankou - turn your gi inside-out when you wash it, and soak it in vinegar or oxyclean once a week.

if it gets really gnarly, send it through with lemon juice.

also, this shit is amazing

would the yusho be decent for crosstraining if i don't mind wearing a double?

i don't even mind wearing my eurocomps to BJJ but they're 7 years old and feel like sandpaper. i'm sure everybody appreciates that.

Well, the interior feels like silk, but the exterior, while not quite sandpaper, is very difficult to grip. I feel like I could take a hit from a semi with no issue.

As long as your BJJ peeps don't mind using mainly no gi grips, I'm sure you'll be fine lol.

What is consided the most violent judo throw ?

Soto makikomi's pretty brutal.

So I've been thinking about working on my uchi mata and was watching this video (I'll post the link in case anyone wants to work on their one step) but I just couldn't get it through my brain very well since he's a lefty.

Anyway, I found this and just in case anybody else struggles with it here's a link for mirroring youtube videos http://amacfie.github.io/MirrorYouTubeVideos/

It's probably just me though.

What is consided the most violent judo throw ?

Daki-Age. This throw has been banned from competition for some time.
[YT]5X0QHJhihhQ[/YT]

In practice it is very similar to a slam, the object being for tori to lift uke while in his guard subsequently forcefully dropping uke onto their back. This is a very dangerous technique that has the potential to cause spinal injuries. Generally uke will release their guard if they cannot prevent the lift.

Basically a Rampage Slam then.

I saw Zantaraiya do one similar to it but he only lifted the guy to knee height.

That flying scissor throw can wreck knees like nobody's business, apparently.

The only throw I truly dread being uke for is okuri. There's just no way to roll with it in my experience. You just drop, and hard.

I'd rather take a full power makikomi from our 300lb guy than that shit.

That flying scissor throw can wreck knees like nobody's business, apparently.

The only throw I truly dread being uke for is okuri. There's just no way to roll with it in my experience. You just drop, and hard.

I'd rather take a full power makikomi from our 300lb guy than that shit.
Depends on the tori I find, if they give a little pull on your sleeve arm the landing from okuri can be fine.

imagine shooting kataguruma and hoisting them onto your right shoulder. now spin to the left, wrap their legs, and whip them back down towards the mat.

backfall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back