Official Judo Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I got beat up by a junior brown belt who was smaller than me last night. It hurt my ego a great deal, I was surprised by how much. Judo is a harsh mistress if you don't practice often.

Some of those kids are killers. The kids and teens at our school tend to be the primary competitors, and a lot of them have been training with extreme dedication for years. So you get 14 year old 120 pound brown belt kids who are able to violently launch me, 190 pounds yonkyu.

We get a lot of visiting kids too with USA competition patches on their gis and such, and you know they are going to be fierce in randori. There's just no comparison between a 15 year old kid who has been doing competitive judo since he was 5 and some hobbyist adult.

Last edited:
I got beat up by a junior brown belt who was smaller than me last night. It hurt my ego a great deal, I was surprised by how much. Judo is a harsh mistress if you don't practice often.

There's a 15 year old green belt at my school who MURDERS all of the white to orange adults. I can stiff-arm him to the point that he's neutralized by my sensei shidos the shit out of me. ;)

It's a hard pill to swallow but it makes training and competing against guys my own age / size / experience level that much easier.

Some of those kids are killers. The kids and teens at our school tend to be the primary competitors, and a lot of them have been training with extreme dedication for years. So you get 14 year old 120 pound black belt kids who are able to violently launch me, 190 pounds yonkyu.

In my defense, the kid in question is well over 220 lbs, he trains at two schools and he's one step away from being on the provincial team.

Some of those kids are killers. The kids and teens at our school tend to be the primary competitors, and a lot of them have been training with extreme dedication for years. So you get 14 year old 120 pound brown belt kids who are able to violently launch me, 190 pounds yonkyu.

We get a lot of visiting kids too with USA competition patches on their gis and such, and you know they are going to be fierce in randori. There's just no comparison between a 15 year old kid who has been doing competitive judo since he was 5 and some hobbyist adult.

Yeah, the reason it hurts is because I still judge my Judo prowess on how good I was in 2005 when I stopped training Judo regularly, a time when I would have murdered this kid (who btw is highly ranked on the USA juniors national roster). I need to realign my standards of comparison, because I feel like these days I barely deserve my black belt.

Guys, I'm still a noob and don't know much about current or previous iconic Judokas. Could you give me a few names to look up on Youtube and get familiar with?

Guys, I'm still a noob and don't know much about current or previous iconic Judokas. Could you give me a few names to look up on Youtube and get familiar with?

Yasuhiro Yamashita
Toshihiko Koga
Jeon Ki Young
Neil Adams
Udo Quellmaz
Robert Van de Walle
Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki
Jimmy Pedro
Mike Swain
David Douillet
Kosei Inoue
Keiji Suzuki
Peter Seisenbacher
Angelo Parisi

And why not Riner? He's a bit of a tool but his Judo is very good.

lol. because apparently "If he was the same size as Inoue he'd be collecting bronze medals at B class tournaments, not winning internationals."

Ilias Iliadis
Mark Huizinga
Flavio Canto

are a couple other names.

lol. because apparently "If he was the same size as Inoue he'd be collecting bronze medals at B class tournaments, not winning internationals."

Ilias Iliadis
Mark Huizinga
Flavio Canto

are a couple other names.

That's so dumb. Just because he's in much better shape than the guys he's fighting (most of whom would be natural LHWs if they weren't so pudgy) shouldn't diminish his technical skill. He's really, really good, not just really really big and strong. It's no different than the Klitschko bros. Yeah, they're taller than everyone else and have longer reaches, but they've also developed their styles to take advantage of their physiques. I don't think it diminished them any that they mostly fight blown up LHWs.

I asked this in another thread about difference in my submission game in gi and nogi but was wondering if there are in judoka who have a strong pummeling game(doubtful but just curious).

I asked this in another thread about difference in my submission game in gi and nogi but was wondering if there are in judoka who have a strong pummeling game(doubtful but just curious).

Mongolians.

[YT]a4gz4c5bGj8[/YT]

That's so dumb. Just because he's in much better shape than the guys he's fighting (most of whom would be natural LHWs if they weren't so pudgy) shouldn't diminish his technical skill. He's really, really good, not just really really big and strong. It's no different than the Klitschko bros. Yeah, they're taller than everyone else and have longer reaches, but they've also developed their styles to take advantage of their physiques. I don't think it diminished them any that they mostly fight blown up LHWs.

I agree.

I can't pretend to have seen much of him in action.

I did see the Olympic final though.

I was displeased.

they need to do away with all the gripping/grabbing bullshit and have a 'stalling' shido called in real-time. especially for turtling.

this should also count for bulldogging/hockey fighting/stuffing your opponent to stifle their offense. one year i watched a girl at junior nationals get shidoed out of a golden score because her opponent pulled her jacket over her head and stuffed her down.

too much judo is played around the rules of judo, and there's nothing worse than a points contest.

Yasuhiro Yamashita
Toshihiko Koga
Jeon Ki Young
Neil Adams
Udo Quellmaz
Robert Van de Walle
Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki
Jimmy Pedro
Mike Swain
David Douillet
Kosei Inoue
Keiji Suzuki
Peter Seisenbacher
Angelo Parisi

And why not Riner? He's a bit of a tool but his Judo is very good.

You can add these future greats to your list.

[YT]kAj_ceO2UPg[/YT]
[YT]-e9bjigFcvE[/YT]

and last but not least my personal favourite. I truly believe that he is a legend in the making.
[YT]fy--cLvdbqE[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back