• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spoilers Official ELDEN RING Discussion [PS/PC/Xbox]

Your Elden Ring Waifu:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought Bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro on release and proceeded to re-play them for 10+ times. I can't remember how many times i've re-played Bloodborne. I know Yharnam better than my own neighborhood.

I bought Elden Ring 10 days ago, just finished it (every single boss, 165 or however many there are) and i'd rather watch Kimbo vs Houston Alexander on repeat than replay it again.

To say this was a crushing disappointment to me would be an understatement. I was alright with their nonsensical stories in the previous games,where you have to watch a Vaati video to have a clue what's going on, but the main reason for coming back over and over were the combat and the bosses.

When they announced Martin would help with the story and the reviews came out, i thought that From has outdone themselves. I delayed buying the game due to personal reasons but it was THE game to back to. What i got instead was the same freaking ''story'' all over again, the same re-skin NPC's, the same ashen/tarnished nonsense, but instead of the streamlined nature of their previous games now with a ton of bloat, of re-skin bosses, of dozens of copies of Bloodborne's dungeons, of a dull, uninteresting open world that didn't provide to me an ounce of entertainment. I don't usually play open world games but when i do, i love when you can get lost in the world, when you can step aside killing baddies by just living or interacting with other characters. For example, in RDR2, playing poker, playing music, all kinds of side missions, from robbing banks, discovering treasures to helping romantic birds. There's nothing but tedium in Elden Ring, there are no characters, no diversity in actions, it's kill this horde, clear this dungeon, kill the boss, repeat. It's fun when it's part of the game but there's nothing else. All the side quests are only workable with an open tab following the steps, it completely kills the immersion.

But the biggest disappointment was copying DS3's combat with the slow roll, and making bosses that are in complete contrast with the presented gameplay. By the time i beat Malenia and Elden Beast, i felt relief it was over, i had no adrenaline, no ''fuck you, too'' to a difficult boss, only a shrug.

Instead of venturing into new territory like they did with Sekiro with the fluidity of the combat and the Japanese flavor, they decided to make a greatest hits game and put everything we've already seen before in it. I'm glad that the game was a huge success. I owe most of my love for challenging games to From Software. I'm happy for their success. But if they plan to dish out another incomprehensible Dark Souls story with the same combat, i'm out.

Have a nice day, fellas.

Why would you replay Dark Souls 3 more than ten times if that’s how you feel about it?

I love the series and have been playing it since Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 1 on my PS3 in 2011. I loved Elden Ring. I’m not sure if I’d put it ahead of Bloodborne, which is my favourite of the Fromsoftware games, but Elden Ring delivered I thought. I platinumed it, have beaten it five times already and have about 240 hours played.

My best friend loves DS3 the most. He’s played through it like 25 times. Then Elden Ring came out and it’s now his favourite and he’s put in a whopping 600 hours.

I’m not sure how or why someone that loves the series and the formula is going to complain about Elden Ring being “more of the same”.

Reactions: hsz
I bought Bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro on release and proceeded to re-play them for 10+ times. I can't remember how many times i've re-played Bloodborne. I know Yharnam better than my own neighborhood.

I bought Elden Ring 10 days ago, just finished it (every single boss, 165 or however many there are) and i'd rather watch Kimbo vs Houston Alexander on repeat than replay it again.

To say this was a crushing disappointment to me would be an understatement. I was alright with their nonsensical stories in the previous games,where you have to watch a Vaati video to have a clue what's going on, but the main reason for coming back over and over were the combat and the bosses.

When they announced Martin would help with the story and the reviews came out, i thought that From has outdone themselves. I delayed buying the game due to personal reasons but it was THE game to back to. What i got instead was the same freaking ''story'' all over again, the same re-skin NPC's, the same ashen/tarnished nonsense, but instead of the streamlined nature of their previous games now with a ton of bloat, of re-skin bosses, of dozens of copies of Bloodborne's dungeons, of a dull, uninteresting open world that didn't provide to me an ounce of entertainment. I don't usually play open world games but when i do, i love when you can get lost in the world, when you can step aside killing baddies by just living or interacting with other characters. For example, in RDR2, playing poker, playing music, all kinds of side missions, from robbing banks, discovering treasures to helping romantic birds. There's nothing but tedium in Elden Ring, there are no characters, no diversity in actions, it's kill this horde, clear this dungeon, kill the boss, repeat. It's fun when it's part of the game but there's nothing else. All the side quests are only workable with an open tab following the steps, it completely kills the immersion.

But the biggest disappointment was copying DS3's combat with the slow roll, and making bosses that are in complete contrast with the presented gameplay. By the time i beat Malenia and Elden Beast, i felt relief it was over, i had no adrenaline, no ''fuck you, too'' to a difficult boss, only a shrug.

Instead of venturing into new territory like they did with Sekiro with the fluidity of the combat and the Japanese flavor, they decided to make a greatest hits game and put everything we've already seen before in it. I'm glad that the game was a huge success. I owe most of my love for challenging games to From Software. I'm happy for their success. But if they plan to dish out another incomprehensible Dark Souls story with the same combat, i'm out.

Have a nice day, fellas.
<mma4>
To be fair, we knew before release that Elden Ring was "just more Dark Souls" and we were totally okay with that. Patches is a staple NPC. Yeah they could have gone with a different way of acquiring spells and whatnot, they do always have NPCs vending different spells and whatever. Reskinning the dragons and adding an element was lame, I'll give you that. And using enemies as regular bosses in dungeons and I do see the similarities to Bloodborne chalice dungeons. However as a whole I thought the game was great.

Why would you replay Dark Souls 3 more than ten times if that’s how you feel about it?

I love the series and have been playing it since Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 1 on my PS3 in 2011. I loved Elden Ring. I’m not sure if I’d put it ahead of Bloodborne, which is my favourite of the Fromsoftware games, but Elden Ring delivered I thought. I platinumed it, have beaten it five times already and have about 240 hours played.

My best friend loves DS3 the most. He’s played through it like 25 times. Then Elden Ring came out and it’s now his favourite and he’s put in a whopping 600 hours.

I’m not sure how or why someone that loves the series and the formula is going to complain about Elden Ring being “more of the same”.

Because the combat between the player and the bosses is compatible and the challenges are based on fair play not on broken mechanics and blatant input reading. I enjoyed fighting the Nameless King,
i enjoyed fighting Friede, Gael, the twins, etc... because the player wasn't inherently disadvantaged and you could ''git gud'' while enjoyed the playing/practice.

Elden Ring has horrible bosses. Malenia is one of their worst bosses, certainly the worst mechanically. I beat her without summons and magic, and i never felt anything but utter contempt for whoever thought this is a good boss. Two health bars, healing on shield and shield barriers, input reading, animation cancels, stagger cancels, an insta kill move that heals her 20% even if blocked...The game has horrible balance between challenging 1-on-1 fights and playing with summons where bosses become trivial. When someone like Lobosjr needs 17 hours of repeated play to figure out a boss, you need to re-think your creations.

I don't disagree that ER isn't very unique. It's basically Dark Souls 4 with a kind of Norse theme but it's got the best combat of all the Souls games. I probably still prefer Bloodborne but ER's jump attack is hella fun and a much needed innovation.

Melania's a tough boss but you can roll or strafe all of her attacks. You just can't block.

Dio got banned?!
giphy.gif

Yeah, not sure what happened. Those midterm elections have caused a lot of casualties in the war room this past week.
Apparently he PM'd someone spoilers for a TV show. Definitely a dick move.

I liked DS3's combat best, until Elden Ring. ER is like a greatest hits of all their games with open fields to link their dungeons.

I never finished my second play though. I'm sure I'll play it again it again at some point, but I'm not as drawn to it as I am to their other titles. I think that's more to do with how long it takes to get through it and the fact the game consumed me for a good 170+ hours in a short span.

I can't wait for BB to get a PC release and 60FPS (at the very least) upgrade.

Those earlier games are tighter experiences too. As much as I was blown away by the verticality and epic reveals of ER I'm not eager to get back on my horse to ride for hours through lifeless environments

I don't mean to say that the world is bad, but I was hoping it would have more NPC's living there.

Have a nice day, fellas.
Like my above post, I was hoping the story would be told a bit more cinematically too, with more NPC's, especially with Martin on board.

It's far from nonsensical though. You don't need to watch a Vaati video to grasp what's going on, it's just told differently.

The lore and stories of the Dark Souls trilogy and Bloodborne are incredibly compelling. Having it told 99% environmentally and through item descriptions isn't my first choice. Seeing/reading Miyazaki interviews, cinematic/overt storytelling isn't his strong point, so I'd rather they take this approach if they don't think they could deliver a Witcher-like narrative experience.

The combat/gameplay loop is addictive in their games, I don't mind being able to catch up on the story at my own pace. I don't know if you ever played Code Vein, but instead of just item descriptions, you'd pick up memories that would play out interactively to tell various stories. I'd like to see From experiment in better story-drop methods.

Once you dig deeper into DS/BB/ER lore, it's quite the rabbit hole. I loved watching videos and having forum discussions with other people to compare "notes" as though we just discovered an ancient civilization together too. Leaving a lot of things open to interpretation adds to the mystery, an itch you can't scratch.

I didn't enjoy the limited combat/build options of Sekiro. It sold 5= million copies, where Dark Souls 3 sold 10+ mil. ER has sold far more, so I can see why they made this a greatest hits thing.

I do hope they continue to try and innovate, but considering their track record, I expect new mechanics for the rumoured armored core in development.

Because the combat between the player and the bosses is compatible and the challenges are based on fair play not on broken mechanics and blatant input reading. I enjoyed fighting the Nameless King,
i enjoyed fighting Friede, Gael, the twins, etc... because the player wasn't inherently disadvantaged and you could ''git gud'' while enjoyed the playing/practice.

Elden Ring has horrible bosses. Malenia is one of their worst bosses, certainly the worst mechanically. I beat her without summons and magic, and i never felt anything but utter contempt for whoever thought this is a good boss. Two health bars, healing on shield and shield barriers, input reading, animation cancels, stagger cancels, an insta kill move that heals her 20% even if blocked...The game has horrible balance between challenging 1-on-1 fights and playing with summons where bosses become trivial. When someone like Lobosjr needs 17 hours of repeated play to figure out a boss, you need to re-think your creations.

I really enjoyed the game, but I tend to agree about the bosses. I like to think I'm a passable/competent Souls veteran and could always beat the bosses in previous games by myself given enough attempts.

There are some bosses in Elden Ring where I just came to the conclusion that I am simply not good enough to ever beat it in any reasonable amount of time and just said "fuck it" and busted out the spirit summon.

It's a combination of input reading, really long combos chained together, and really small punish windows. Using my standard strength build approach, there were often times I felt I couldn't get a hit in without getting hit back on my own recovery.

For your average player, it seems like these bosses are balanced around either using a spirit summon or bringing in another player. To beat some of these bosses solo you have to either have saintly patience, a really cheesy build, or just be incredibly talented. The previous games were challenging, but it was doable for your average person and it was overstated how hard the games were.

I still really like the game and they nailed the open world approach, but I wouldn't mind if they toned it down a bit on the next one.

Just beat Renalla on 1st try, that was unbelievably easy. I think I need to go to that lift next? I only have half of the medallion though, should I just say fuck it and take the tunnel route?

I really enjoyed the game, but I tend to agree about the bosses. I like to think I'm a passable/competent Souls veteran and could always beat the bosses in previous games by myself given enough attempts.

There are some bosses in Elden Ring where I just came to the conclusion that I am simply not good enough to ever beat it in any reasonable amount of time and just said "fuck it" and busted out the spirit summon.

It's a combination of input reading, really long combos chained together, and really small punish windows. Using my standard strength build approach, there were often times I felt I couldn't get a hit in without getting hit back on my own recovery.

For your average player, it seems like these bosses are balanced around either using a spirit summon or bringing in another player. To beat some of these bosses solo you have to either have saintly patience, a really cheesy build, or just be incredibly talented. The previous games were challenging, but it was doable for your average person and it was overstated how hard the games were.

I still really like the game and they nailed the open world approach, but I wouldn't mind if they toned it down a bit on the next one.
It’s my pick for GOTY but I agree this game has some awful boss fights.

Just beat Renalla on 1st try, that was unbelievably easy. I think I need to go to that lift next? I only have half of the medallion though, should I just say fuck it and take the tunnel route?

That's what i did.

Back