Multiplatform Official Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty Discussion

Will the PL expansion prove a do-over for the title after widely maligned launch?

• Total voters
Also while finding Ciri may be Geralt's personal quest, the Nilfgaardian invasion is the real overarching story of the world that carries directly over from the second game. All that stuff of traversing through the war torn North and helping various people as you try to accomplish your goals is important to the overarching story, not to mention fantastic world building.
It might have been important to the overarching story but it just wasn't interesting (IMO). I get people liked and loved the world building but I just didn't connect with it the same way most people did. I gave the game a good 20 hours and just decided to move on.

I feel like if you complete the game in 20 hours or whatever then you're robbing yourself of a great experience. This is one of those games where the open world actually does feel lived in, instead of a big empty box

Yes I couldn't stand the Blood Baron. Listening to him keep telling me "Just do me one more favor and I'll tell you a bit more..." I wanted the game to turn into GTA so I could just kill him and move on.

I know I'm in the minority here though. The thing is Witcher 2 ended with a cliff hanger of Siri being chased. I wanted to see what happened with that story. I didn't want to get stuck in what is essentially a side quest being passed off as a main story quest.

Agreed, super annoying questline and I didn't bother going any further after. I feel honoured to agree on a method115 wacky take <45>

Also while finding Ciri may be Geralt's personal quest, the Nilfgaardian invasion is the real overarching story of the world that carries directly over from the second game. All that stuff of traversing through the war torn North and helping various people as you try to accomplish your goals is important to the overarching story, not to mention fantastic world building.

I was playing Far Cry 5 the other week and one of the biggest annoyances with the game was your character being abducted no less than 9 times throughout the game, 9 times you escape, and its 10 times if you include the canon ending.

It was annoying/agrovating but it basically was required to tell the stories that revolved around each of the three regions villains, and they were stories worth hearing. Although the delivery of how those stories were received could have been modified to be significantly improved.

As for Witcher3, its by design a very slow game, especially when compared to practically every action game. And the first time playing the Bloody Barron quest the pacing was atrocious especially with the Baron teasing you with Ciri's flashback sequences... I would argue the pacing within Novigrad was worse (especially with multiple playthroughs), but there's no denying that first time through the Baron questline is quite tedious ESPECIALLY when you run out of leads and you have no idea what to do to find his wife.

My point is, like Far Cry 5, the story the developers have to tell has to be periodocially injected inbetween gameplay segments, and the means its injected can be flawed, but those story segments are invaluable to the overall experience of the game.

It might have been important to the overarching story but it just wasn't interesting (IMO). I get people liked and loved the world building but I just didn't connect with it the same way most people did. I gave the game a good 20 hours and just decided to move on.

Dude, the Baron is one of the most interesting characters in the game. You dont see many games showing complexity and the sympathetic side of a wife beater. The moral ambiguity in that quest isn't topped anywhere else. The crones and that cursed baby are legit horrifying. The decisions you make have real world consequences. There's really not more you can ask for out of storytelling.

Dude, the Baron is one of the most interesting characters in the game. You dont see many games showing complexity and the sympathetic side of a wife beater. The moral ambiguity in that quest isn't topped anywhere else. The crones and that cursed baby are legit horrifying. The decisions you make have real world consequences. There's really not more you can ask for out of storytelling.

I think the attitude of 'Fuck this guy, a wife-beating piece of shit, he deserved far worse than just his family leaving him' isn't uncommon for first-time players of the Baron storyline.

And also the attitude of 'Holy fuck that was an amazing questline' isn't uncommon for those same players to have after first completing the Baron storyline.

I get it. People loved it but I just didn't. I didn't care about the Baron or his story at all. I bought the game day 1 and I wanted to love it but I just didn't connect with it the way everyone else did.

I think the attitude of 'Fuck this guy, a wife-beating piece of shit, he deserved far worse than just his family leaving him' isn't uncommon for first-time players of the Baron storyline.

And also the attitude of 'Holy fuck that was an amazing questline' isn't uncommon for those same players to have after first completing the Baron storyline.

Well thats what makes it great storytelling. If you choose fuck this guy there are consequences and realistic ones. And even if you have zero sympathy towards the Baron the game gives you a reason to help him that you have to seriously consider and either path has positives and negatives.

Last edited:
Didn't know there was romance options in this game so the cut scene with Meredith Stout was a surprise <45>

Well thats what makes it great storytelling. If you choose fuck this guy there are consequences and realistic ones. And even if you have zero sympathy towards the Baron the game gives you a reason to help him that you have to seriously consider and either path has positives and negatives.

Or, you can go into the final quest with the intention of screwing him over and it doesn't go to plan based on other choices that seem to be completely irrelevant to the Baron.

Or the exact opposite.

Didn't know there was romance options in this game so the cut scene with Meredith Stout was a surprise <45>

Not really a 'romance.'

You basically just screw her in a hotel room.

Or if you screwed her over in an earlier mission, this happens...

Not really a 'romance.'

You basically just screw her in a hotel room.

Or if you screwed her over in an earlier mission, this happens...

I prefer the version I did lmao

It was funny because during the Maelstrom mission I was thinking this chick is a bitch but also would. Then that happens...

I'm fine with it being a one off though.

I must be missing something with this game. I tried it a few years ago and gave up pretty quick but bought the Ultimate Edition over Christmas because I wanted to give it a second shot. The game looks great and I love the setting but nothing else is sitting well with me.

1. The writing and performances seem really bad. I thought these were strong points for The Witcher 3 so it's especially weird here. Every scenario feels like it was written by Michael Scott at improv class. "Swerve, this is a stick up!"

2. The combat feels dull and clunky. I think Starfield felt better than this. Also the enemies are stupid and bullet spongy.

3. There's so much going on screen and I don't know what the fuck is even happening. I'm in the first big firefight of the game and I'm confused as all hell.

4. Glitches. I thought they fixed this shit. I'm literally just starting and there are polygons bending and stretching across the screen.

I'll keep pushing through for now hoping it clicks eventually but I'm not the least bit impressed.

Holy fuck this game is boring. Sitting at bars or in cars talking. Hacking through cameras. Does is open up at some point or is this the entire game?

Holy fuck this game is boring. Sitting at bars or in cars talking. Hacking through cameras. Does is open up at some point or is this the entire game?

Gameplay is fairly repetetive, one of games flaws really

If you reach act 2 and still dont dig then i would consider dropping it lol

I played it on PS4 at first. I just couldn't get into it either. I played about the same as you.

It wasn't until I got it on PC a couple of years later that it clicked.

I dreaded repeating some of the quests I had already done, so I roamed around and just fell in love with the care and attention they gave to side quests. I didnt care much about finding Ciri, the Wild Hunt, or Nilfgardian war. I was enjoying just being a Witcher.

Once I got to the dlc, especially Hearts of Stone, the game rose to another level.

That's what I've been doing in Cyberpunk, just living the merc life, doing every gig and side quest I can find. The difference in Cyberpunk is that I also love the main story. Phantam Liberty is something else too

I loved the crones. They were so disturbing, def the highlight of that entire questline.

Ultimately I enjoyed the Baron's storyline, and all the ways I tried to save his wife. The pacing was really bad in parts though.

I wasn't really invested the world so the slow burn aspect of tje early portions of the game turned me off at first.

Geralt dying from a 3 foot drop was preposterous too.

Once I got absorbed in the role of a Witcher (modded fall damage), and the plight of all the peasants you work for, I started to digest the world building/lore. CDPR's brilliant writing ties it all together.

I can't wait to get lost in the world again, but I want to create my own character and be able to interact with Geralt/Yen etc... in that fashion.

Played through at launch and never touched it again. I bought Phantom Liberty and did all the updates but never got around to playing it until last night. Just decided to drive around as I don't want to start the DLC until I finish DS2. Anyway it still feels really empty which was my main complaint before. I see videos on Youtube with tons of people walking around and traffic but driving around the whole world still feels really devoid of NPCs. What am I missing here?

Played through at launch and never touched it again. I bought Phantom Liberty and did all the updates but never got around to playing it until last night. Just decided to drive around as I don't want to start the DLC until I finish DS2. Anyway it still feels really empty which was my main complaint before. I see videos on Youtube with tons of people walking around and traffic but driving around the whole world still feels really devoid of NPCs. What am I missing here?

For me its certain areas that are empty like factory area up north, corporation office area with arasaka come to mind

Centre and anywhere there are shops and so forth was decent enough populated imo

Dogtown(DLC) was packed full of people

What are you playing on?

I know on PC you can control the amount of people on screen. I had to tone it down because it was just to many people.

Back