Objectively, Usman >> Khabib in all-time rankings.

Nice cope. Khabib faced Iaquinta for the title, that alone says enough. That's just as bad as Usman beating Neil Magny for the strap. He then defended against Conor (1-3) and Justin (5-3). It goes both ways.

And Burns is an awful matchup for Usman. Khabib just so happened to never fight any of the grapplers in his division.
Cope?

Haha Khabib is 29-0, rich, and healthy

Best career in MMA history, go cry about it

Khabib already dropped Conor and exposed Conor's overrated standup.
Coming from a Khabib fan, that wasn't really exposure. Conor was afraid of getting taken down thats why he was afraid going toe to toe with Khabib. If it was solely a stand up fight Khabib would be demolished against McNugget don't be delusional.

As for TS..I completely agree with the argument, Usman is not fully respected i feel. He is definitely up there in the Goat convos.

On paper, you're right. One possible factor to explain things is that Khabib is the clear LW goat, whereas Usman is still far behind GSP in terms of defenses and lives in his shadow at WW

Khabib also has an aura of invincibility that Usman just doesn't have. He's been dropped, in a few close fights, and does have 1 loss, which I know shouldn't count against him but that just is part of what makes Khabib mythical.

I think in 3 years we could easily be calling Usman the GOAT, especially how he's been finishing people lately

Therefore you admit Khabib only has 2 title defences, as he only really became the champ after beating Conor. So Usman has double the number of defences as Khabib.
Taking quality into account Usman’s best wins are prime Woodley (we didn’t know how ahead the rest of the division had caught up to him already, he would have lost if he faced the stripped interim champ Colby Covington as well), Colby, and Gilbert Burns. Khabib’s best wins are Conor, Poirier, and Gaethje. Would you take beating Masvidal twice and KOing him in an undeserved rematch over a win over Iaquinta even though Al has a win over Masvidal himself?

I ain't crying. I'm just stating facts. More and more people will realise Usman > Khabib as time goes on.
Usman can surpass him, but I highly doubt it since he'd have to win 4-5 more fights in a row to even be in the discussion

khabib fought better competition and did it more decisively. If Usman can string together a few more like beating covington and edwards again then yea i'd say you're right.

Usman is a much better fighter than Khabib. The Conor-Mania era overrated Khabib grossly. Still one of the all time greats, but this idea that he would never be tempered, tested or that his ceiling was untouchable is a joke.

He stood up with conor in the third round and dropped him in the second, he also stood up virtually the entire first round with justin
He lost that 3rd round so it’s not that great pointing it out like you think <Lmaoo> also the judges gave Justin the first round of their fight so not a great example either.

For some reason they're not mentioned in the same vicinity, but when you look at it objectively they should be closely ranked/rated.

Khabib: 13-0, 4-0 title fights, 8 years Total UFC record of Khabib's opponents when facing him: 89-33-1 (2) [71.2% win rate] . Total UFC record of opponents after facing Khabib: 37-40 (1) [47.44% win rate]
Usman: 14-0, 5-0 title fights, 6 years Total UFC record of Usman's opponents when facing him: 110-31-2 [76.92% win rate] . Total UFC record of opponents after facing Usman: 28-21 (1) [56% win rate]

In fact, there's a solid case Usman should be ranked ahead of him. Usman:
  • actually beat the champ (x4 defending) to become the champ, whereas Khabib beat #11 Iaquinta.
  • is the more active fighter and champion. Khabib had 2 interim champs in his reign.
  • has faced a wider range of skillsets, including bad matchups.
  • didn't retire in his prime and is doing rematches.
  • has never missed weight or been suspended.
Some say Khabib beat 3 top P4P fighters in a row, but this is disingenuous. Justin and Conor's P4P rankings were extremely inflated. Usman may not be as dominant as him, but he's dominant enough in his own right.

You can bring up Usman's submission loss to Caceres...

20130528115635_827Q9055.JPG

...but this happened around the same time as this fight, a fight Khabib realistically should have lost.

NINTCHDBPICT000624405328.jpg

All in all, they're both generational talents, but I'm tired of seeing them rated differently as if they're not in the same league. As Usman continues to merk people I think this narrative will become more popular.
Usman never dominated his competition with the ease Khabib did. I wish the UFC had “rounds won percentage” as a metric they track. Khabib would be head and shoulders above everyone else with something like a 98% rounds won percentage. Contrast that with Kamaru, I remember most of sherdog seemed to think Colby was ahead 3-1 on the cards when they fought. I’d argue that the way Dustin is performing today, he’s better competition than Colby was for Kamaru, and yet Khabib cut threw him like a knife through butter. Just a different level of domination.

Last edited:
Khabib is top 3 GOAT because of who he beat and how he beat them

Usman has faced multiple journeymen in his title fights and got dropped by one of them

Also, Usman has never faced a "bad matchup", that is bullshit. There isn't anyone like Whittaker or Aldo at welterweight

I'd call Masvidal a journeyman and he got to fight him twice...

But I don't think Burns or Covington are necessarily worse than Porier and Gaethje. Porier has a better resume' of the 4, but talent wise? Eh idk on that one.

Woodley vs Iaquinta too, even if Woodley was on the decline already is still better. McGregor was a huge feather for Khabib though. RDA/Barboza, and Usman has like Edwards early on and probably another decent win in there.

I think Khabib is better skill-for-skill (not by tons, but by enough), but a consequence of ducking out early is that guys a touch under your skill level can rack up accomplishments and levels you just didn't reach because of time.

You don't get to extrapolate your dominance during your 13(?)-0 UFC career into the future just because you retired in your prime. You get no future credits. No extrapolation. No projection. You leave with what you did.

Usman could very easily leave with more accomplishments than Khabib. Actually, I think he probably will.

As many as GSP though? Open question.

Time will tell

Usman has worse defenses since Masvidal and Burns haven't done much in that division. Keep in mind two of Usman's defenses are against Masvidal, who while a good fighter is probably not even top 5. Not nearly as good as beating Poirier, an all time great, Conor the double champ, and Gaethje.

Masvidal was robbed against Iaquinta, he very clearly should've won.
Irrelevant, Masvidal is a journeyman. He got a profile boost by beating Ben Askren (lol) and Nate Diaz, another journeyman. Usman beating Masvidal twice is what he should’ve done, Masvidal was never in his league.

He stood up with conor in the third round and dropped him in the second, he also stood up virtually the entire first round with justin
In fairness, Conor got dropped because of his 100 brain cells, 99 were looking for the takedown and the other one was looking for some Proper 12.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back