Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

I am fine with it. The state of Alaska has been trying to do this for 30 years. I support states rights, glad to see others do also.

I do wish it would go through the proper channels though.

I was completely unaware that Alaska has been trying to change the name for so long. If the people of Alaska are behind it , then I guess I am too. Im not too proud to change my stance.

So it's cool that Muhammed Cosbied Aisha?

I dont know. Was molesting little kids widely accepted as the norm at the time ? If so, i guess i cant judge him for it.

for, "multi-culturalists" and other hippy-lovers, they love what obama is doing. for traditional conservatives, they hate his guts.

obama doesn't care, though. he wants to be known as THE multi-cultural president.

Hes become an egomaniac at this point. Trying to solidify his "legacy" as much as possible on his way out.

Im sure for liberals, it will never end. Unless it was named after someone in the civil rights movement, it should be renamed.

This was named after a president, and now it gets a generic name in an indigenous language - I'd like to know how many people speak that language, probably not many if the state has 20 indigenous languages and the region has fewer thsn 2k people. And if fewer than 2k people live in that area, I have doubt indigenous people in other parts of the state refer to that mountain at all ehen tbey can't even see it.

Just silly, pc sensitivity bs

Im sure he'll be all for renaming things after himself (the hs my grandfather went to was renamed after Obama)

Why does it matter how many people speak the language? The Mississippi comes from an indigenous language, so does Illinois, so does Oswego. Shee-it, I'm worried I'm going to give you a heart attack if I name every place in the U.S. that gets in name from an indigenous language. :eek:

But you still haven't answered my question - how does this name change actually affect anything negatively? How is this worse than other times that we re-name things and no one even notices?

I mean I understand that this personally affects you but how does it affect the rest of the United States?

Why does it matter how many people speak the language? The Mississippi comes from an indigenous language, so does Illinois, so does Oswego. Shee-it, I'm worried I'm going to give you a heart attack if I name every place in the U.S. that gets in name from an indigenous language. :eek:

But you still haven't answered my question - how does this name change actually affect anything negatively? How is this worse than other times that we re-name things and no one even notices?

I mean I understand that this personally affects you but how does it affect the rest of the United States?

i doubt that the same people concerned about the name change are actually concerned about the actual mountain. like the fact that its losing its ice.

I didn't tell you that, so nice try. I said it to panamaerican since he said no one ever thinks about the mountain which is not true, people go there. Let me guess, you are canadian and you are telling me parts of northern canada you have been to. Now that's really pointless. Worry more about your history with your indigenous peoples than ours.

The Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali, which is how it is referred to locally[6]. However, a 1975 request by the Alaska state legislature to the United States Board on Geographic Names to do the same was blocked by Ohio congressman Ralph Regula, whose district included McKinley's hometown of Canton.[24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali#Naming

So let me get this straight a gold prospector named the mountain after a presidential candidate from Ohio who he supported, then a president from Virginia makes the name official.

Alaskan state government doesnt recognizes the name and officially names it as Denali since 1975 (Obama as 13 at the time). Alaska tries to change it nationall but people from Ohio block such measure.

I think the Solomonic decision would be to name an Ohio mountain or park as a presidential candidate from Alaska.

So i look forward to Mt Palin or Park Palin.

I don't know what the big deal is the state wanted it and the U.S. is full of places that have native names or a derivative of a native name.

State's Name:
Native American Origin:

Alabama
Alabama is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. This tribal name may have come from the word albina, which means "campsite" in their own language, or from the words alba amo, which mean "clearing brush."

Alaska Alaxsxix, which is a name from the Aleut language. This name means "place the sea crashes against."

Arizona Arizonac, which is a Spanish corruption of a local Indian name-- possibly the Tohono O'odham word alishonag, which means "little spring."

Arkansas Acansa, which is the name of a Quapaw Indian town. Literally the name means "southern place."

Connecticut Quinnitukqut, which is the Mohegan Indian name for the Connecticut River. Literally the name means "long river."

Illinois Illiniwek, which is the tribal name of the Illini tribe. Literally the name means "best people."

Iowa Ayuhwa, which is one of the tribal names of the Ioway Indian tribe. Literally the name means "sleepy ones."

Kansas Kansa, which is the name of the Kansa Indian tribe. Literally the name means "south" and is a shortened form of their own tribal name for themselves, People of the South Wind.

Kentucky Kentake, which is an Iroquois placename meaning "meadow land."
Massachusetts Massachuset, which is a Wampanoag Indian name meaning "by the range of hills."

Michigan Mshigem or Misigami, which are the native names for Lake Michigan in the Potawatomi and Ojibwe languages. Both names mean "great lake."

Minnesota Mnisota, which is the native name of the Minnesota River in the Dakota Sioux language. Literally the name means "cloudy water."

Mississippi Misiziibi, which is the native name of the Mississippi River in the Ojibwe language. Ojibwe is not actually a native language of Mississippi state-- the language is spoken near the source of the Mississippi River in Minnesota, which is where the river got its name, and the state was later named after the river. Literally the name means "great river."

Missouri Missouria is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. Their tribal name came from the word mihsoori, which means "big canoe people."

Nebraska Nibthaska or Nibrathka, which are the native names for the Platte River in the Omaha-Ponca and Otoe languages. Both names mean "flat river."

New Mexico Of course, New Mexico was named after the country of Mexico, but since Mexico itself is named after an American Indian word, the state of New Mexico is also! Mexico is a placename from the Aztec Indian language (Nahuatl.) It literally means "city of the Aztecs."

North Dakota Dakota, which is the tribal name of the Dakota Sioux Indians. Literally the name means "the allies."

Ohio Ohiyo, which is the name of the Ohio River in the Seneca Indian language. Literally the name means "it is beautiful."

Oklahoma Okla Homma, which means "Red People" in the Choctaw Indian language.

Oregon This was a name given by early American settlers to the Columbia River. It was probably a Native American name which the settlers brought with them from another state, since it does not resemble names from the Native American languages of Oregon. It may have meant "beautiful river" in an eastern Algonquian language.

South Dakota Dakota, which is the tribal name of the Dakota Sioux Indians. Literally the name means "the allies."

Tennessee Tanasi, which was the name of a Cherokee Indian town in the region.
Although "Tanasi" was recorded as the Cherokee name of this town, it does not specifically mean anything in the Cherokee language (just as many English place names are not specific words.) It may have been a shortened form of a longer Cherokee word or phrase, or it may have been named after a Cherokee person.

Texas Taysha, which means "friend" in the Caddo Indian language.

Utah Ute is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. This tribal name may have come from the word nuutsiu, which means "the people" in their own language.
Wisconsin Wishkonsing, which is the Ojibwe name for the Wisconsin River. However, this word does not have a specific meaning in the Ojibwe language, and none of the Ojibwe Indians in our organization knows any oral traditions about where the name came from.

Wyoming Chwewamink, which means "by the big river flat" in the Lenape Indian tribe. The Lenape Indians never actually lived in Wyoming-- it was originally the name of a town in Pennsylvania, and white settlers from that area brought the name with them when they moved west.

http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm

for, "multi-culturalists" and other hippy-lovers, they love what obama is doing. for traditional conservatives, they hate his guts.

obama doesn't care, though. he wants to be known as THE multi-cultural president.

Traditional conservatives don't give a shit. He's renaming a mountain that was renamed after a President who is hardly remembered except for being assassinated.

I guarantee you that people who care about conservative principles aren't losing sleep over something this irrelevant to government. You know who is losing sleep? People who seem to take every acknowledgement that there are differing opinions from different groups in the U.S. as an affront to their "cultural identity".

I realize that you are not saying this so this isn't directed at you, even though I am quoting your post:

There's a subset of WR posters who behave as if no other ethnic group deserves to be heard. Every time one of those ethnic groups has the audacity to fight for something, that subset of posters reacts as if something is personally being taken away from them. They don't debate the merit of the position, they debate if the group should ask, or fight, for something at all. And they generally behave as if these groups are here at the sufferance of this WR subset.

I find it annoying. Renaming mountains is one of the most irrelevant pieces of news in the world...we reclassified a fucking planet and it got less vitriol than this, lol. :icon_chee

Also:

Native American Words We Know and Use

PLANTS AND TREES
hickory
pecan
yucca
mesquite
saguaro

ANIMALS
caribou
chipmunk
cougar
jaguar
opossum
moose

STATES
Dakota - friend
Ohio - good river
Minnesota - waters that reflect the sky
Oregon - beautiful water
Nebraska - flat water
Arizona
Texas

FOODS
avocado
hominy
maize
persimmon
tapioca
succotash

BOATS
cancoe kayak

GEOGRAPHY
bayou - marshy body of water
savannah - grassy plain
Pasadena - valley

WEATHER
blizzard
Chinook- warm, dry wind

FURNITURE
hammock

HOUSE
wigwam
wickiup
tepee igloo

INVENTIONS
toboggan

OTHER WORDS
caucus - group meeting
mugwump - loner politican
squaw - woman
papoose - baby

CLOTHING
moccasin
parka
mukluk - slipper
poncho

http://www.classbrain.com/artmission/publish/native_american_words_we_use.shtml

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

They did realize it was wrong and were integral in implementing its change. They were great men of their time and to deny that is being dishonest. They created what is still today the greatest and most free country on earth where people from all over the world still migrate to for a chance to be a part of it. That should never be downplayed because some had slaves. It was an accepted thing in society, and when that view started to change they were at the forefront of that change. But then again they were older white Christian men so they must have been evil. :rolleyes: Liberal kool aid anyone ?

America has been the "bad guy" or at best morally neutral, in virtually every war that it has participated in, except WW2, and the founding fathers did absolutely nothing to be credited with being at "the forefront" of ending slavery. England ended slavery before the U.S did for fucks sake, if not for the founding fathers slavery would have ended in America much sooner. You're so deeply propagandized and indoctrinated I don't know why I'm bothering to correct you...

America being created led to the American Holocaust which saw the rape and extermination of millions of Native Americans. What's so great about that?

I find it annoying. Renaming mountains is one of the most irrelevant pieces of news in the world...we reclassified a fucking planet and it got less vitriol than this, lol. :icon_chee

That's bullshit. Pluto is a planet and I don't care what anyone says. I aint relearning nuttin'

This thread is pretty amazing. I could never have envisioned this level of discussion from a mountain who's name I won't refer to, as to not ostracized myself to one group.

America has been the "bad guy" or at best morally neutral, in virtually every war that it has participated in, except WW2, and the founding fathers did absolutely nothing to be credited with being at "the forefront" of ending slavery. England ended slavery before the U.S did for fucks sake, if not for the founding fathers slavery would have ended in America much sooner. You're so deeply propagandized and indoctrinated I don't know why I'm bothering to correct you...

America being created led to the American Holocaust which saw the rape and extermination of millions of Native Americans. What's so great about that?

You want to go with a list of all the countries that all but displaced the native population, it's a long list depending on how far back we go.

Bad guy depends on who you ask and how you look at it. Which wars because if you break it down there are a lot of them.

Whether or not America had good intentions in every war after WW2 can be argued both ways, lets face it. It isnt that cut and dry as you would like it to be and i dont have the time nor the motivation to debate Korea,Vietnam etc.

Well i wouldnt say they had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery in the US. Ever heard of that guy....oh whats his name again.. ummm... Lincoln ?

Yeah im the indoctrinated one. Try harder. Your hate for America is showing.

Whether or not America had good intentions in every war after WW2 can be argued both ways, lets face it. It isnt that cut and dry as you would like it to be and i dont have the time nor the motivation to debate Korea,Vietnam etc.

Well i wouldnt say they had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery in the US. Ever heard of that guy....oh whats his name again.. ummm... Lincoln ?

Lincoln isnt a founding father. Hth

This thread is pretty amazing. I could never have envisioned this level of discussion from a mountain who's name I won't refer to, as to not ostracized myself to one group.

We can go the route of Prince maybe,

"The mountain formerly known as..."
Or just "The Mountain" :icon_lol:

Lincoln had little to no interest in slavery from a morality stand point. He was most concerned about saving the Union of the states and ending slavery happened to be a result of that endeavor.

We can go the route of Prince maybe,

"The mountain formerly known as..."
Or just "The Mountain" :icon_lol:

Sorry but "The Mountain" is already taken in GOT.

The Mountain who shall not be named....

Lincoln isnt a founding father. Hth

No, technically he wasnt. But to say the men who created the most "progressive" (yup i said it) free country in the world with the constitution where people from all over the globe flocked to in order to escape tyranny and persecution of all kinds were just a bunch of "racists" is completely ignorant.

No, technically he wasnt. But to say the men who created the most "progressive" (yup i said it) free country in the world with the constitution where people from all over the globe flocked to in order to escape tyranny and persecution of all kinds were just a bunch of "racists" is completely ignorant.

The bill of rights only applied to landed white males. Hth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back