Social Obama: I worry progressives may undercut Democratic allies

But it didn't really. What you're talking about isn't a thing that happened; it's just how the GOP decided to market Obama.

You know the dumbest thing ever was openly talking about this shit.

Republicans are the original intersectionists. They had to be because their coalition is absurd, and has no business existing in a sane world.

Of course that is all about to re-align isn't it?

The battle for blue collar America is underway.

Hopefully Bernie wins.

"One of the things I do worry about sometimes among progressives in the United States —maybe it’s true here as well — is a certain kind of rigidity where we say, 'Uh, I’m sorry, this is how it’s going to be,' and then we start sometimes creating what’s called a 'circular firing squad,' where you start shooting at your allies because one of them has strayed from purity on the issues. And when that happens, typically the overall effort and movement weakens," he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...progressives-may-form-a-circular-firing-squad

Obama makes a great point here, but I still think this will fall on deaf ears on the left. Conservatives have been touting on how the left have been eating themselves over the past couple of years and it seems like Obama is even starting to take notice.

While the majority of Republicans are moving left there are a lot of Democrats that are moving further to the left, which is causing a lot of former left leaning voters to vote Republican.
Nice post and explanation of your own.
I agree with you and with Obama.
It seems like things needed to be reformed in the 60s. Liberalism is about enacting change. Like you’ve said, in time, even those on the right have complied and begun to agree. It isn’t enough for some Leftists, and rather than accepting that the ball is rolling on change for the entire culture, and has drastically changed in many cases, they have forgotten the issues of equality and instead pursued a vilification of those on the right, with no regard that the majority are not the ‘Old Right’ of yesteryear.
The Old Right was mainstream and needed change.
Brave people stood up for change, with the common sense and fairplay that comes from being under the thumb.
The Left became the mainstream, but have not figured it out. No longer under the thumb, they don’t have common sense and aren’t fighting for equality, they are just trying to kick the new Right, which is largely compliant to the battles the old left won, and revel in their grandparents old glory.
The roles have switched, and the new mainstream leaders are just as puritanical and self righteous as the old.
Liberalism is necessary for change. Once the change is made it is time to conserve some of the gains.

Sounds like he is responding to AOCs comments about giving a list of names to her "activists"

Obama treaded extremely carefully on racial issues and constantly promoted unity and outright attacked campus radicals on multiple occasions, but some people still see him as being one of them for no reason other than his skin color. It's sad.

I know many of my conservative brethren will disagree with me on this one, but this is what Obama was most guilty of...

attempting to reach across the aisle, attempting to seek common ground with the political opposition.

TBH, this was why his presidential terms weren't as successful as they could have been.

"Intersectionality" was coined in the 1980s. Did Obama pioneer this stuff at Harvard Law?

No, not at Harvard. It was earlier. Obama formulated it while on Mars in the summer of 1980. With Andrew Basiago. When they were working for Project Pegasus.

"One of the things I do worry about sometimes among progressives in the United States —maybe it’s true here as well — is a certain kind of rigidity where we say, 'Uh, I’m sorry, this is how it’s going to be,' and then we start sometimes creating what’s called a 'circular firing squad,' where you start shooting at your allies because one of them has strayed from purity on the issues. And when that happens, typically the overall effort and movement weakens," he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...progressives-may-form-a-circular-firing-squad

Obama makes a great point here, but I still think this will fall on deaf ears on the left. Conservatives have been touting on how the left have been eating themselves over the past couple of years and it seems like Obama is even starting to take notice.

While the majority of Republicans are moving left there are a lot of Democrats that are moving further to the left, which is causing a lot of former left leaning voters to vote Republican.

Obama's words sort of call to mind the old political truism...

Establishment republicans fear their base. While establishment democrats hate their base.

I know many of my conservative brethren will disagree with me on this one, but this is what Obama was most guilty of...

attempting to reach across the aisle, attempting to seek common ground with the political opposition.

TBH, this was why his presidential terms weren't as successful as they could have been.

He was naive and thought that if he gave some people would meet him in the middle. He was wrong. He also never intended to pass UHC or any truly progressive policies because he is a corporatist at heart.

Ever here of “it’s my party too?”

It is moderate Republicans from the 2000s banding together and begging the intolerant pre tea party puritans to knock off all the rhino BS.

That segment of the party got its ass kicked, the tea party was born, it then turned into the troll party and put Trump in the driver’s seat.

Obama voicing legit concern over the interplay between moderate and progressive Dems is no “aha” moment for the Republican Party.

As far as the Rs moving left, hello this is planet earth, “Hi!!!!!!”.

The Rs jumped the shark, even if the Dems go flow blown left (has not happened yet) and we accept that its a bad thing (the far left is still far more coherent than what the R are offering even if I have some big differences with them), you guys only have yourselves to blame.

Put an adult in charge of your party and then talk to me about Dem extremism.

Ever here of “it’s my party too?”

It is moderate Republicans from the 2000s banding together and begging the intolerant pre tea party puritans to knock off all the rhino BS.

That segment of the party got its ass kicked, the tea party was born, it then turned into the troll party and put Trump in the driver’s seat.

Obama voicing legit concern over the interplay between moderate and progressive Dems is no “aha” moment for the Republican Party.

As far as the Rs moving left, hello this is planet earth, “Hi!!!!!!”.

The Rs jumped the shark, even if the Dems go flow blown left (has not happened yet) and we accept that its a bad thing (the far left is still far more coherent than what the R are offering even if I have some big differences with them), you guys only have yourselves to blame.

Put an adult in charge of your party and then talk to me about Dem extremism.

Lol... My party? Since I've been of voting age I voted for Gore, Kerry (When I was in the Army even), Obama twice, and Trump. I'm not crazy about everything Trump does, but he's not doing that bad of a job so far and hope he does well, as I want our country to do well.

I also voted for a Democrat for my States Governor in the last election. I don't feel allegiance to either party, but these uber progressives have been pushing me right and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

Agreed Obama's biggest mistake was attempting to negotiate with people who had no intention of ever negotiating in good fate.

Once he figured that out it was already to late.

Lol... My party? Since I've been of voting age I voted for Gore, Kerry (When I was in the Army even), Obama twice, and Trump. I'm not crazy about everything Trump does, but he's not doing that bad of a job so far and hope he does well, as I want our country to do well.

I also voted for a Democrat for my States Governor in the last election. I don't feel allegiance to either party, but these uber progressives have been pushing me right and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

Yea I had a feeling my choice of " your" might be inappropriate , so I retract, I was responding to the OP which I felt was slanted from a historical and cause / effect point of view. Please replace "your" with "republican".

Trump campaigned as paleo right (far right) candidate with some nods to the economic populism it encompasses. To date he has governed as an establishment republican on everything from climate change to tax cuts and to keep his far right cred he has screamed about a wall and a fake immigration crises. The only things he has gotten semi right is Syria and China. The idea that the Republican Party is getting anything right about the other side is nonesense, they are utterly ideologically bankrupt.

I agree with you that progressives may push some away. Trump should have pushed more republicans away, that it did not is sad. Still I would suggest that you look at actual platforms when comparing candidates and try to ignore the team building propaganda from both sides, because it is not even close.

Last paragraph is true. Obama isn't saying what he really wants to, but he's getting there.

Obama is spot on here and that's why progressives dislike him and are starting to distance themselves from him. I'm all for progress but "Progressives" as a label have become authoritarians. Our way is how things should be and if you don't like it, you're the enemy or "literally Hitler".

Nothing will get accomplished with like line of thinking. The US is split about 52% right and 48% left. If you get a reasonable person on the left, they can pull people away from the right and get elected. When you get someone uninspiring or far left, the right won't vote for them. Progressives just don't seem to understand this.

Authoritarianism, & Puritanism have hijacked the Democratic party just like the Neocons did with the Conservatives years ago.

did Ripskater get canned again, I haven't seen him lately

Obama is spot on here and that's why progressives dislike him and are starting to distance themselves from him. I'm all for progress but "Progressives" as a label have become authoritarians. Our way is how things should be and if you don't like it, you're the enemy or "literally Hitler".

Nothing will get accomplished with like line of thinking. The US is split about 52% right and 48% left. If you get a reasonable person on the left, they can pull people away from the right and get elected. When you get someone uninspiring or far left, the right won't vote for them. Progressives just don't seem to understand this.

Authoritarianism, & Puritanism have hijacked the Democratic party just like the Neocons did with the Conservatives years ago.

70% of the country supports MOST progressive policies........ UHC, 15 dollar minimum wage, money out of politics--- Its the bought and payed for democrats that don't want progressive policies and the bought and payed for media that reports the same bias--- the policies most Americans want are progressive. When corporate democrats ask progressives to unite with them it is the tail wagging the dog.

But I don't have the energy to debate it and am not going to anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, President "0" was the posterchild of the progressive left.
Now he wants to speak up about it? Oh sweet irony.

The majority of Democrats running for President in 2020 disagree with him. I suspect they may not ACTUALLY believe it's the "right" thing to do, but they seem convinced it's the best way to win the nomination. I suspect they'll move to the center once they GET the nomination like many did in 2018, and then move back to the left if they win back the WH.

Intersectional politics is based on cultural Marxism.
Sorry, dude, even if you're making a decent point, it gets lost when you use bullshit terms like cultural Marxism. What the fuck does that even mean?

Back