Social Obama: I worry progressives may undercut Democratic allies

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
"One of the things I do worry about sometimes among progressives in the United States —maybe it’s true here as well — is a certain kind of rigidity where we say, 'Uh, I’m sorry, this is how it’s going to be,' and then we start sometimes creating what’s called a 'circular firing squad,' where you start shooting at your allies because one of them has strayed from purity on the issues. And when that happens, typically the overall effort and movement weakens," he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...progressives-may-form-a-circular-firing-squad

Obama makes a great point here, but I still think this will fall on deaf ears on the left. Conservatives have been touting on how the left have been eating themselves over the past couple of years and it seems like Obama is even starting to take notice.

While the majority of Republicans are moving left there are a lot of Democrats that are moving further to the left, which is causing a lot of former left leaning voters to vote Republican.

Obama makes a great point here, but I still think this will fall on deaf ears on the left. Conservatives have been touting on how the left have been eating themselves over the past couple of years and it seems like Obama is even starting to take notice.

While the majority of Republicans are moving left there are a lot of Democrats that are moving further to the left, which is causing a lot of former left leaning voters to vote Republican.

This post is a good illustration of what's wrong with the WR.

1. Obama's point is fine but hardly new (not something that will "fall on deaf ears on the left" or something that "Conservatives about been touting" over the past couple of years. This is 40 years old, and leftists have joked/complained about this for longer than that:

Will Rogers in 1935: "I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat."

2. There are three claims made in the last sentence, and none of them are supported. If we check the evidence, we see that the most recent elections were the best elections for Democrats in a long time, which seems to prove the last of the claims false. The first one seems ridiculous to anyone paying attention. The second is probably true.

Obama was never considered stupid, even by his biggest detractors.

Obama’s point is a sword that cuts both ways. The very reason progressives are pushing these purity tests is that they know there’s a reflexive impulse on the left to bend over backward to accommodate all sorts of lunacy, provided it comes from within their coalition. If the left, and democrats in particular, were better about rejecting the wackos they wouldn’t be dealing with this type of infighting

Funny, because the Obama political team was the pioneer of this demographics theory, that led to the intersectionality, and is creating the circular firing squad.

Bring back the rainbow coalition!

FYI, cis white males are apart of the rainbow too.

Funny, because Obama was the pioneer of this demographics theory, that led to the intersectionality, and is creating the circular firing squad.

Explain that one.

"Intersectionality" was coined in the 1980s. Did Obama pioneer this stuff at Harvard Law?

People like Hack savage would be wise to smarten up and take heed to What Obama is saying. The Dems are getting continuously crazy and they are cannibalizing themselves slowly but surely. 2020 is around the corner.

Translation,

“Campaign like I did, then, don’t actually achieve any goals put forward during the campaign”

<seedat>

Which to be fair, is the reality of politics.

Explain that one.

That when Obama won in 08, we were told time and again that this new coalition of new demographics would lead to decades of democratic reign.

This theory of demographics winning elections, led to the idea of activating these minority voting blocks, aka intersectionality.

Intersectional politics is creating the circular firing squad.

Like how libertarians undercut Republicans and now they have no power? Or how the white-power base that is bleeding in has ruined the moderate right?

That when Obama won in 08, we were told time and again that this new coalition of new demographics would lead to decades of democratic reign.

This theory of demographics winning elections, led to the idea of activating these minority voting blocks, aka intersectionality.

Intersectional politics is creating the circular firing squad.

Can you show me the "time and time again" that Obama talked about demographics during the 2008 election cycle and how it would lead to decades of Democratic reign? I don't think you'll find that.

I also don't think that "Activating minority voting blocks" (also known as, getting Americans to vote), which is the goal of all politicians every day) is anywhere close to the definition of intersectionality. What definition of intersectionality are you using here?

I'm honestly having trouble following your line of reasoning.

Can you show me the "time and time again" that Obama talked about demographics during the 2008 election cycle and how it would lead to decades of Democratic reign? I don't think you'll find that.

I also don't think that "Activating minority voting blocks" (also known as, getting Americans to vote), which is the goal of all politicians every day) is anywhere close to the definition of intersectionality. What definition of intersectionality are you using here?

I'm honestly having trouble following your line of reasoning.

I don't know what to tell you.

I never said, Obama said.

Obama is one man. His political machine is vast.

Intersectional politics is based on cultural Marxism. It's all about activating voting blocks. It does that by villainizing a outside threat. Aka cis white males.

I wonder who are these progressives are, and who are those eternal allies are.
This is delightful to see.

I don't know what to tell you.

I never said, Obama said.

Obama is one man. His political machine is vast.

You specifically said that "Obama was the pioneer of this demographics theory, that led to the intersectionality, and is creating the circular firing squad."

That is your own quote. None of that appears to be accurate in the least. It's a complete fabrication and it appears to be on the accuracy level of an average right wing meme. It may even be from a meme.

Intersectional politics is based is Marxism. It's all about activating voting blocks. It does that by villainizing a outside threat. Aka cis white males.

If villainizing an outside threat is how you are defining intersectional politics you'll have to show me what group Obama villainized to get elected in 2008. I don't remember that being remotely close to key part of his platform. Who did he villainize to get elected?

However by that definition, the only President in the modern era that went full blown into intersectionality would obviously be our current president and his constant villainization of Muslims and illegal immigrants. Are you saying that Donald Trump is the poster child for intersectionality? Since he activated voting blocks by villainizing an outside threat?

You specifically said that "Obama was the pioneer of this demographics theory, that led to the intersectionality, and is creating the circular firing squad."

That is your own quote. None of that appears to be accurate in the least. It's a complete fabrication and it appears to be on the accuracy level of an average right wing meme. It may even be from a meme.

If villainizing an outside threat is how you are defining intersectional politics you'll have to show me what group Obama villainized to get elected in 2008. I don't remember that being remotely close to key part of his platform. Who did he villainize to get elected?

However by that definition, the only President in the modern era that went full blown into intersectionality would obviously be our current president and his constant villainization of Muslims and illegal immigrants. Are you saying that Donald Trump is the poster child for intersectionality? Since he activated voting blocks by villainizing an outside threat?

You showed me my quote. Now show me in my quote where it says, I said Obama had said this.

You showed me my quote. Now show me in my quote where it says, I said Obama had said this.

How did Obama pioneer a feminist theory that originated in the 1980s during his Presidency in the 2010s without ever saying it? Lol.

Fuck off with your bull shit strawman non-sense.

Lol, Seriously, I promise that I'm trying my very best to keep up with your cluster-F of nonsense in the this thread. Let's look at your claim again.

Funny, because Obama was the pioneer of this demographics theory, that led to the intersectionality, and is creating the circular firing squad.

Okay, so Obama pioneered demographics theory (he didn't) that led to intersectionality (a theory from the 1980s that he has nothing to do with it).

Thanks Obama.

I think I have enough popcorn for what the deaf ears in this thread will bring.

giphy.gif

Lol, Seriously, I promise that I'm trying my very best to keep up with your cluster-F of nonsense in the this thread. Let's look at your claim again.

Okay, so Obama pioneered demographics theory (he didn't) that led to intersectionality (a theory from the 1980s that he has nothing to do with it).

Thanks Obama.

Stop trying to tell me what my argument is.

My words mean exactly what they say.

So let's break this down step by step, if you really want to understand.

Do you disagree with the statement that Obama was credited in 2008 with building a new coalition, and that this new coalition was represented by the media as a new kind of demographics politics, and if so why?

Back