Not squatting

I would love to man up, but I would easily be sore for a month. :icon_cry2

Yeah but after that month no soreness. There is no 100% substitute for the squat. Stop crying and figure out when your hell month is gonna be.

I wonder if it is possible to buy fish to eat. Do they have fish in Japan?

At least two.
kinkyou5_1.jpg

I run 3 times a week for Rugby and still Squat twice a week.
Rest, food, stretch and recovery.

Yeah but after that month no soreness. There is no 100% substitute for the squat. Stop crying and figure out when your hell month is gonna be.

Ok, how should I start. Should I lift heavy for a 3x5? How should I restart it? Should I do Zerchers, normal, overhead? Should I just do squats at first, and incorporate other exercises in later?

I will do a leg day tomorrow, or Wed. I guess after I will buy 2 quarts of yogurt to eat right after.
Give me some advice to work with.

Well yes, BUT I live in Japan ie no Protein and lots of hills. I Bike at least 15 miles a day, which gives my legs zero rest days. That is on top of a protein difficancy. I've tried keeping my routine here, but the lack of food is destroying me. My bench is down a good 20%, as is my deadlift.

I don't like the feeling of being sore for over a week. I think it may be pretty bad for me. Plus Japan has no real vitamins, or Amino Acids. So I also tend to cramp a lot.

Well at least youve got your excuses all lined up and in order. If you worked on your lifting with the same dedication you might actually surprise yourself.

Ok, how should I start. Should I lift heavy for a 3x5? How should I restart it? Should I do Zerchers, normal, overhead? Should I just do squats at first, and incorporate other exercises in later?

I will do a leg day tomorrow, or Wed. I guess after I will buy 2 quarts of yogurt to eat right after.
Give me some advice to work with.

go light volume and light sets. Probably 5x5, but don't go up to your 5 rep max. Don't deadlift and squat on the same day either. Squat at least 2 times a week.

I run 3 times a week for Rugby and still Squat twice a week.
Rest, food, stretch and recovery.

I'm going to try it. But I just want you all to know, that I get zero rests days. That and the lack of protein really screws me up. I still get sore from Deadlifting, each time. And that is with my lifts decreasing.

As of now my routine is like this:

Mon: BORs 5x5, super setted with 5x5 of rows.
5x5 lateral pull down
3x10 pull ups
3x10 cleans

Wed 3x10 bench+ 2x5
3x10 incline bench, oh there is NO DECLINE in my gym btw:icon_cry2
3x10 one arm flys, as there are no matching DB weights
3x10 pull overs
3x10 skull crushers
3x10 "Wighted dips"

Fri or Sat 5x5 military press
5x5 chin ups
3x10 deadlifts
Rotator cuff fluff
3x10 Hamstring curls

I opened this thread hoping the ts was wheelchair bound or just come out of the OR after major knee surgery.

alas it is another thread with stupid excuses

I take anti inflamatories if my knee pain gets too bad. My ortho explained that there is soft tissue under the knee cap that can become enflamed and create pain in the knee. I get it when I run too much and continue lifting heavy loads.
It has been difficult to control if I am squatting heavy consistently. The only way to manage it is to be on top of how my body feels, use ice after running or squatting heavy, and take medicine when needed to minimize the inflamation.

go light volume and light sets. Probably 5x5, but don't go up to your 5 rep max. Don't deadlift and squat on the same day either. Squat at least 2 times a week.

Ok, so I am going to try adding a 5x5 squat to my Wed lifting. I will play with the weight, and see what I can do.

Cap'n: "So?" Well I can't do any decline bench, ever.

My excuse, as you prolly should dismiss, is that I have to ride my bike everyday. I ride 6miles to school. Plus if I go anywhere else, I usually ride my bike a few miles more. I average about 15mi/day. I also do the 6miles in 16minutes now.

(...) I also can't get enough protein. So I guess I am going to mostly neglect my legs. Oh btw I do still deadlift.

You can't get enough protein? What? They don't have food in Japan? Stop that fucking supplement shit and eat for real. Drink milk, eat fish products etc.

2x6 miles on a bike isn't anything to cry about. It's far below an hour at a leasurely pace, so that is no excuse. Concider it a warmup. You're American so you might be shocked to hear that it's not just the Japanese who ride bikes - we Europeans tend to take the bike to school/work everyday as well.

Well yes, BUT I live in Japan ie no Protein and lots of hills. I Bike at least 15 miles a day, which gives my legs zero rest days. That is on top of a protein difficancy. I've tried keeping my routine here, but the lack of food is destroying me. My bench is down a good 20%, as is my deadlift.

I don't like the feeling of being sore for over a week. I think it may be pretty bad for me. Plus Japan has no real vitamins, or Amino Acids. So I also tend to cramp a lot.

You just went from an average of 15 miles on the bike to AT LEAST 15 miles... what's up?

And if you get that sore from squatting you should probably start out with a lower weight and ease into it. Don't blow your muscles out because of pride or something like that.

Really, dude... What kind of talk is this?!?! Many of us get by without supplements and vitamin pills you know? I lift 3 times a week (squatting every time) and do martial arts 1-2 times a week and I get by... my secret? I eat food. I wish I could add that I sleep, but I'm pretty lousy at that - it's said to be good for you when you lift though.

If you need your protein powder that badly, there's this thing called the internet... don't use that excuse as a crutch man...

Cap'n: "So?" Well I can't do any decline bench, ever.

I think the man is pointing out that decline bench isn't the most important lift in the world... that's it really.

Is there a powercage/rack and a bench? Or a squat rack and a BP bench?
You should be just fine with either combination really.

You suck at teh Japan.

Pay attention to which days of the week food is cheap. Hirakata is a student town, so if you have a bike, ride away from the station and keep your eyes peeled for a grocery store. The one in the basement near the station is a bit pricey but it does have sales, you just need to pay attention to when they are.

You should be paying about 68yen per 100g of chicken breast, tops. I usually manage to find chicken breasts for 48yen/100g, so any price inbetween would leave you paying about 160yen for a decent sized serving.

Tuna in water. Look for the Top Value brand. It is a nationally sold brand available in many grocery stores. You can usually buy 4 cans (with 16g of protein per can) for 300-400yen. So again, you'd be looking at about 150-200yen for a serving (30g) of protein.

Milk is cheap, you can by low-fat for cheaper than the 3.8% full fat milk. I usually buy 1% for about 100yen per jug.

Protein supplements: buy them from bodybuilding.com They have decent prices and don't fuck around with shipping. Other places might be cheaper, but bb.com you just pay with a credit card and they ship it, other websites gave me hassles, so fuck em. When you consider that the quality of whey protein in Japan is questionable and have many fillers (bulking and cutting carbs?), and expensive, the cost is actually cheaper to buy a 5kg bag of ON Whey from bb.com than to buy the same amount from a no-name j-brand.

Veggies: you can buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies for 200-300yen, tops. Half a bag is enough for one meal. So for 200yen for chicken, plus 150yen for veggies you have a decent healthy meal. Right now is an in-between season so not much is cheap. Come summer though produce should be cheaper.

Brown rice: buy a big ass bag from Don Quioxte and you'll be set.

Oh, you might know this already but do you meat shopping at night when the meat is often discounted anywhere from 10-50% off.

Eggs: cheap.

I spend more money on groceries than most people, but if I cook most of my meals then it breaks about even compared to eating out all the time. But I eat about 4 times more protein than the average person.

You suck at teh Japan.

Pay attention to which days of the week food is cheap. Hirakata is a student town, so if you have a bike, ride away from the station and keep your eyes peeled for a grocery store. The one in the basement near the station is a bit pricey but it does have sales, you just need to pay attention to when they are.

You should be paying about 68yen per 100g of chicken breast, tops. I usually manage to find chicken breasts for 48yen/100g, so any price inbetween would leave you paying about 160yen for a decent sized serving.

Tuna in water. Look for the Top Value brand. It is a nationally sold brand available in many grocery stores. You can usually buy 4 cans (with 16g of protein per can) for 300-400yen. So again, you'd be looking at about 150-200yen for a serving (30g) of protein.

Milk is cheap, you can by low-fat for cheaper than the 3.8% full fat milk. I usually buy 1% for about 100yen per jug.

Protein supplements: buy them from bodybuilding.com They have decent prices and don't fuck around with shipping. Other places might be cheaper, but bb.com you just pay with a credit card and they ship it, other websites gave me hassles, so fuck em. When you consider that the quality of whey protein in Japan is questionable and have many fillers (bulking and cutting carbs?), and expensive, the cost is actually cheaper to buy a 5kg bag of ON Whey from bb.com than to buy the same amount from a no-name j-brand.

Veggies: you can buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies for 200-300yen, tops. Half a bag is enough for one meal. So for 200yen for chicken, plus 150yen for veggies you have a decent healthy meal. Right now is an in-between season so not much is cheap. Come summer though produce should be cheaper.

Oh, you might know this already but do you meat shopping at night when the meat is often discounted anywhere from 10-50% off.

I spend more money on groceries than most people, but if I cook most of my meals then it breaks about even compared to eating out all the time. But I eat about 4 times more protein than the average person.

JAPWNED

You suck at teh Japan.

Amazing post, you should follow his advice.

Man, I'm 6' 160 lbs. Not the biggest, strongest guy out there. But I still bike 120km a week and do the 3x5. Man up! All you need to do is up your calories man!

Back