Not squatting

ElKarlo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I admit I am pretty cool with the idea of me not squatting. I have access to a purfectly fine squat rack yet I do not use it. My excuse, as you prolly should dismiss, is that I have to ride my bike everyday. I ride 6miles to school. Plus if I go anywhere else, I usually ride my bike a few miles more. I average about 15mi/day. I also do the 6miles in 16minutes now.

With all that, I find that if I squat, that I am sore for up to 8 or 9 days. Which I think may actually detrimental, to my training. I also can't get enough protein. So I guess I am going to mostly neglect my legs. Oh btw I do still deadlift.

I know I should man up, but if I do, I bike really slow, and my gai-jin pride won't let me loose to anyone. When I get back to the US, I need to see how bad it has become, I used to max around 275.

Sorry more of a rant than anything. Please no ban.

pickleurin.jpg

I used to squat 3 days a week using Mark Rippetoe's program in Starting Strength and never got sore. Well, after the first week that is.

You will get used to it.

Also, consider buying whey protein in bulk if it's not readily available/expensive in Japan.

I used to squat 3 days a week using Mark Rippetoe's program in Starting Strength and never got sore. Well, after the first week that is.

You will get used to it.

Also, consider buying whey protein in bulk if it's not readily available/expensive in Japan.

Really? I find that squatting and riding kill my legs. I wonder what principles Starting strength uses?

Oh and here protein drinks have 4g of protein, and peatnut butter is like $10 a pound. I eat a lot of questionable yogurt.

I don't ride my bike much, but I can imagine that with riding it the same distance every day your legs would become acclimated to it.

Your protein intake very well could, as you suspect, be the root of your problem. What is your weight and how much "good" protein do you take in a day?

Also, how much is it to shipping for whey to Japan?

You can squat and do other things, it's just a case of getting over the initial hump. Sure it'll hurt and you won't be setting PRs for the first few weeks, but imagine how much faster your progress will be once your body adapts to being forced into a higher gear.

I don't ride my bike much, but I can imagine that with riding it the same distance every day your legs would become acclimated to it.

Your protein intake very well could, as you suspect, be the root of your problem. What is your weight and how much "good" protein do you take in a day?

Also, how much is it to shipping for whey to Japan?

My problem too is that I try to bike faster each day, so I am tired after each run. I think I'm averaging 24mph now. So it's still not a routine, as I am pushing harder each day. I also have added horrible sprints up hills. To me it's kinda funny, because cars try to pass me

As for protein, I don't have access to that info for most of what I eat. What I know is that I eat 24gms of yogurt protein a day. Plus about 3 eggs a day, say 12gms. I am roughly 80kgs now. I dropped about 4-5, cuz of the food here. Except for tofu, which I avoid, there is no good cheap protein.

Shipping is about 3 times as much I think.

How about some meat? Or are you a vegetarian?
If you squat with low volume you wont get sore and will probably still be able to make progress.

If you don't squat often, then every time you do squat, you'll be very sore. It would be like taking up a new activity. Your body has to adjust to it.

I hear that if you cry about it then it will get better.... but seriously, you can't squat because you ride a bike? I mean. honestly?

Really? I find that squatting and riding kill my legs. I wonder what principles Starting strength uses?

Oh and here protein drinks have 4g of protein, and peatnut butter is like $10 a pound. I eat a lot of questionable yogurt.

Meat?

Step 1: Grow a pair of balls.
Step 2: The first step should take care of everything.

You won't be that sore after a while if you keep squatting, plus it will help you with biking so its a win win.

sounds to me like you squatted once since you started all this bike riding and it left you sore for a very long time.

whenever i take a break from lifting longer than a couple of weeks when I start lifting again the first couple of sessions leave my muscles ridiculously sore for about 4-5 days. However after a couple of weeks they no longer stay sore.

Seems to me if you just tuff it out for 2 weeks you won't have any problems and the squats will probably improve your biking speed in the long run.

Stop whining and do squats.

Ok so I admit I am pretty cool with the idea of me not squatting. I have access to a purfectly fine squat rack yet I do not use it. My excuse, as you prolly should dismiss, is that I have to ride my bike everyday. I ride 6miles to school. Plus if I go anywhere else, I usually ride my bike a few miles more. I average about 15mi/day. I also do the 6miles in 16minutes now.

With all that, I find that if I squat, that I am sore for up to 8 or 9 days. Which I think may actually detrimental, to my training. I also can't get enough protein. So I guess I am going to mostly neglect my legs. Oh btw I do still deadlift.

I know I should man up, but if I do, I bike really slow, and my gai-jin pride won't let me loose to anyone. When I get back to the US, I need to see how bad it has become, I used to max around 275.

Sorry more of a rant than anything. Please no ban.

As a n00b to lifting, I have no business giving advice, so here goes.
:D

I was sore for days on end till I started warming up before, and cooling down after, lifting heavy. Soreness would last 3,4 days or more. But a little cardio to get the blood going, and a set of light reps of whatever lift I'm doing to get warmed up, then do the heavy stuff, and then a light set to cool off. It has dramatically lessened the time I spend being sore after lifting.
HTH

When I first squatted I did heavy weights right off (heavy for ME anyway) and by the third session I literally couldn't squat any more. I was dying.

So I took a few days off and went back starting much lighter and adding 5 lbs each session and the leg soreness wasn't a problem from then on.

My advice is try squatting light, even if you feel like a pussy, and slowly work up. You'll build strength, push your plateau further out and avoid the soreness, IMHO of course.

I'm doing Stronglifts.com's Beginners 5x5 and it's working fine with very little soreness.

Raw_Sinew is right, check your ego at the door and start light and work up. Try 3 sets of 5. When you can do all the reps add 5lbs

How about some meat? Or are you a vegetarian?
If you squat with low volume you wont get sore and will probably still be able to make progress.

1KG of meat is like 5 times the price here. Hence why a lot of guys are 180cm but only weigh like 55Kilos.

I hear that if you cry about it then it will get better.... but seriously, you can't squat because you ride a bike? I mean. honestly?

Well yes, BUT I live in Japan ie no Protein and lots of hills. I Bike at least 15 miles a day, which gives my legs zero rest days. That is on top of a protein difficancy. I've tried keeping my routine here, but the lack of food is destroying me. My bench is down a good 20%, as is my deadlift.

I don't like the feeling of being sore for over a week. I think it may be pretty bad for me. Plus Japan has no real vitamins, or Amino Acids. So I also tend to cramp a lot.

I would love to man up, but I would easily be sore for a month. :icon_cry2

Back