Non-Thread Worthy Boxing News part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin Trout ‏@NoDoubtTrout

"@VanesBoxing I've always said yes. This is a venue worth the fight IMO. but hey we can do it in a gym in Cleveland idc #Score2Settle"

By Rick Reeno

Promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing has confirmed to BoxingScene.com that a deal was reached for a fight on April 18th between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-1-1, 32KOs) and Andrzej Fonfara (26-3, 15KOs).

The weight limit and the location were not disclosed, but it appears the fight is going to take place at a catch-weight between super middleweight and light heavyweight.

"I was offered the fight and we took it. Its a great fight. We agreed on the fight. We agreed on the date and now we're looking for a venue and we have several TV options," Margules told BoxingScene.com.

Chavez has been sitting on the shelf since last March's win over Brian Vera. Following that fight, Chavez claimed that he was a free agent from his promotional agreement with Top Rank, and then the boxer signed on with powerful adviser/manager Al Haymon. There is still an ongoing legal dispute between Top Rank and Chavez over his promotional obligation. Top Rank claims the boxer still owes them one fight.

Fonfara put on a real show last May, going down early against WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson and then coming back in the late rounds to score a knockdown of his own and had the champion in trouble. Fonfara, who also signed on with Haymon, returned in November to win a ten round unanimous decision over Doudou Ngumbu.

The fight is likely going to be the headliner of a major Showtime card or part of Haymon's new boxing series on NBC.
Courtesy of Boxingscene

Good fight, unfortunately Arum has thrown a cold blanket on this match up, and will take Jr to court in order to stop it from happening.

That's a pretty rugged fight for Jr after his long layoff and also general laziness

Meh at that fight. Fonfara getting a big fight because Stevenson gassed out against him.

Stevenson made him a name, but he showed on FNFs that he has some skills.

Stevenson made him a name, but he showed on FNFs that he has some skills.

Against the great Doudou Ngumbu?

Fuck that. This fight is shit. After hearing that Junior will fight Froch or Golovkin, we get Fonfara....

FIGHTHYPE.COM @fighthype

"LUCAS MATTHYSSE: "I AM EXCITED TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH OSCAR AND GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS" http://dlvr.it/8CVzt8 #fighthype"

FIGHTHYPE.COM @fighthype

"LUCAS MATTHYSSE: "I AM EXCITED TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH OSCAR AND GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS" http://dlvr.it/8CVzt8 #fighthype"
I'm not sure if Oscar has much promotional strength right now. Mathysse should have moved on if he had the opportunity.

Maybe Mathysse can get a ride on the Top Rank promotional 140 pound merry go round now that Oscar is kissing Arum's ass.

I'm not sure if Oscar has much promotional strength right now. Mathysse should have moved on if he had the opportunity.

Maybe Mathysse can get a ride on the Top Rank promotional 140 pound merry go round now that Oscar is kissing Arum's ass.

It's a negative thing that they are working together? There's an explanation to why, yes but is it negative in your eyes? You sure sound like it's negative.

A yes or no will do.

It's a negative thing that they are working together? There's an explanation to why, yes but is it negative in your eyes? You sure sound like it's negative.

A yes or no will do.

I said nothing of the sort in that post.

Oscars roster is pretty thin right now. It seems like the 2 men credited with "ending the cold war" are basically starting a new one with Haymon and Showtime. Who does Oscar have for Mathysse to fight? Omar Figueroa?

Oscar is going to need to look elsewhere for fights and his only option seems to be whoever Arum throws his way.

I feel sort of bad for Oscar in a way, even though I never really cared for the guy. He got a spanking on the HBO/showtime/Haymon/Toprank shakeup.

I know his roster isn't the best at the moment but still, it's a good thing that he's "kissing arums ass" to put it in your words.

I know his roster isn't the best at the moment but still, it's a good thing that he's "kissing arums ass" to put it in your words.

He was going to get squeezed out if he didn't pick a side. Haymon took all of his fighters and did more with them in a month than Oscar and Arum have done for their fighters in years. Oscar went from the top to insignificance at a shocking rate. Most people couldn't name 5 fighters he has signed right now, I'd wager.

He was going to get squeezed out if he didn't pick a side. Haymon took all of his fighters and did more with them in a month than Oscar and Arum have done for their fighters in years. Oscar went from the top to insignificance at a shocking rate. Most people couldn't name 5 fighters he has signed right now, I'd wager.

I know the background and I know he's not as powerful anymore. However, it's a good thing right? Even in your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back