Nobody thought Jones won round 3?

Gus wasn't almost finished, he wasnt even knocked down. Keep subjective comments to yourself please. Gus wasnt finished, he didnt hit the ground and curled up. He even looked better at the last 10 secs of the round than bfore that, when the first elbow landing, meaning he was actually recovering rather than on the process of beign KO.

Haha. It's funny that my comment is so subjective, but the win wasn't even so much as a majority decision. What's your explanation for Jones winning in the eyes of all three judges? Also I'm sure if you were a Gus fan, you were a little worried for him at that stage of the fight. I know I was.
Oh and this forum is based off of nothing but opinion that's why we are all talking about our meaningless views on something that has nothing to do with us.

I understand your point, however the likelihood of the judges applying the same logic as yourself is highly unlikely. Gus was noticeably staggering around the cage and not protecting himself. That period was also quit a bit longer than 15 seconds. In the Jones Machida fight I gave the 1st round to Machida as did everyone else. The fact is though that both of them landed 8 significant strikes and through somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20. Machida landed the one that put Jones off balance. Jones did far worse than that to Gus and likely won on that fact alone. Weather you call it nearly finishing or clearly hurting someone more than they hurt you to that point Jones did it and won the round. None of the judges appear to have seen it any other way. Also a 10-10 round would have resulted in a draw on only one score card.

Yeah, believe me, I know I live in a fantasy world where judges do logic and their job.

I watch judges at so many events in Vegas lately wherein the judges literally just stare at the fighters... not notching or jotting anything down.... and then just give a check mark to a winner. No notes. No comments. Just a check mark. They are not held accountable at all.

It is not hard to keep track of strikes if you're a judge (within reasonable numbers), and if it is too close and your margin of error makes it possible for either to be ahead... move onto the next stat to help decide. Not that difficult.

Stopped reading at delusional 'round 4 for Gus'..

It's delusional to think a guy who controlled 4 out of 5 minutes won the round?

*disclosure: I gave the round to Jones too, but could have seen it going to Gus.

It's delusional to think a guy who controlled 4 out of 5 minutes won the round?

*disclosure: I gave the round to Jones too, but could have seen it going to Gus.

Under the UFC's scoring criteria, yes. There's no criteria for ''who spent most of the round with a slight edge''. They landed about the same amount of strikes (stats say Jones landed more, but I will call it even), so it comes down to effective defense and aggression. I would say the guy who didn't get noticeably rocked in the round won in the defense category, and since the rest of the round was close (admittedly, with an edge to Gus) Jones won the aggression category by pouring it on in the last minute, thus stealing the round in textbook fashion. The other rounds can be up for debate, but round 4 is pretty cut and dry, imo.

Gus hit Jones with like 10 good shots over 4 minutes... Jones hit Gus with like 4 good shots over 25 minutes...

Nobody has Gus winning round 5 even though he outstruck Jones.

Also, if you don't count the non-impacting leg strikes (leg jabs) Gus outlanded Jones in rounds 1-3.

Not if you count spinning elbows and head kicks higher than pitterpat arm punches (not that gus didn't land some solid shots as well).

Gus hit Jones with like 10 good shots over 4 minutes... Jones hit Gus with like 4 good shots over 25 minutes...

wtf_is_this_shit2_RE_73_Million_Sharks_Killed_Every_Year-s468x349-71815.jpg

Jones landed more than 4 good shots if you just count spinning elbows OR head kicks.

Jones landed more than 4 good shots if you just count spinning elbows OR head kicks.[/QUOTE]

Actually he landed 1 spinning elbow and 3 head-kicks (3 other kicks were blocked by his arm).... so that guy is technically right. But jones also landed some good body kicks and a couple good punches. Overall though... Gus outlanded. I know FithMetric likes to pretend otherwise, but they're simply wrong if you sit and count the strikes.

Back