Nobody thought Jones won round 3?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Team Sleep, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

Full disclosure... I think Gustafsson won.

I had Gus winning 1,2,4(yea even 4... eat a dick Just Bleed bitches). But Jones clearly won 3 I thought, almost start to finish and 5 start to finish for sure. Oddly, at the end of round 3, you have Joe Rogan saying that Jones is losing this fight. I can see how people would hear that and be seeing someone actually giving Jones a fight--that would influence them.

That said... I thought 3 was a clear win for Jones.

So I'm thinking if judges saw 4 for Jones, that could be where the 48-47 comes from for Jones, though I disagree. But 49-46 is bullshit, no matter who you call it for.

At the end of 3 and going into the 4th round, I had it 2-1 Jones. So I looked on twitter and the average of journalists, MMA fighters and fans tweeting round by round scored it 2-1 Gus as well. And MOST going into the 5th round had it a draw, meaning they gave Jones the 4th.

I wonder how much of a psychological effect there is with expected outcome/desired outcomes and cognitive dissonance in scoring...

I wanted Gustafsson to win, I thought Jones was going to beat the fuck out of him and ended up scoring the fight for Gustafsson 3-2. Upon several rewatches, I swapped round 4 for Gustafsson and 3 for Jones. Punch by punch, Jones pieced Gus up in round 3.

2. vaelgard

vaelgard White Belt

I had it scored exactly the same as you. 1, 2, and 4 for Gustaffson, and 3 and 5 for Jones. 4 was really close and you could go either way. Alex had it for about 3:30 and then Jones turned up the heat and looked like he was almost going to finish him, so I can understand that round going either way. 47-46 Gustaffson IMO, but also could be 47-46 Jones and I would be ok with it. I was shocked at the 49-46 score.

3. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

1 2 3 4 and 5 all for Jones

woop

4. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

For me the entire fight rests on the 3rd round. I thought Gustafsson took it, but I can also understand how someone scores it for Jones

I had Gustafsson 1,2,3

So for me the fight all depends on who got the 3rd round and I can see either guy getting it so I'm not upset with the decision at all

5. SongXIII

SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

Stopped reading at delusional 'round 4 for Gus'..

6. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

everyone agrees on 1 and 5.

that much is evident

7. Tank1906

Tank1906 Blue Belt

One of the judges agreed with you which makes 49-46 not seem so unreasonable. There is no question Jones won round 4. Gus had slightly outpointed him up until that elbow landed but Jones put a severe beating on him for the remainder of the round. Only a real Jones hater could give 4 to Gus. That 4th round rally and and winning the 5th got Jones the win.

8. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

I am a real Jones hater, so there's that.

9. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Nobody has Gus winning round 5 even though he outstruck Jones.

Also, if you don't count the non-impacting leg strikes (leg jabs) Gus outlanded Jones in rounds 1-3.

10. Sopapo

Sopapo Green Belt

I had Gus winning 4 too but i gotta rewatch this shit. I scored it like boxing, one dominated for most part the other hurt him. No knockdown so i didnt change the winner on 5 significant strikes. again, i gotta go rewatch it but thats how i felt. 1 to 3 r to blurry in my mind cant comment.

11. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

I saw round-4 as the same. I saw an argument to make it 10-10, but I couldn't justify Jones stealing the round without a knockdown or takedown after the eblow, couple punches, and a knee.

12. Sopapo

Sopapo Green Belt

Yeah man, landing strong shots counts, but to STEAL a round (which is the case since Gus was winning, everyone agrees on that except some blind jon jones fans) you have to do a little more than that.
    Did you also think Gus had Jones hurt at one point in that round?

13. Kinger85

Kinger85 Gold Belt

I had 1 and 2 for Gustafsson, and the 3, 4, and 5 for Jones.

14. The DanaWhite

The DanaWhite Purple Belt

Tell me how almost.finishing a guy doesn't win you the round.

15. TeamTanner

TeamTanner Red Belt

I scored round 4 for Jones but and I think appropriately so but I can at least see where some people are coming from. It was probably Gustaffson's best round before he got hurt by the spinning elbow late in the round, before that he was picking Jones apart for a 2 or 3 minute stretch.

16. The DanaWhite

The DanaWhite Purple Belt

And round two is hardly a sure round for gus.

17. Sopapo

Sopapo Green Belt

Tell me how not even to managing to get a knockdown on him constitutes "almost finishing".

18. TeamTanner

TeamTanner Red Belt

For one thing, you don't really know if Gustaffson was almost finished or if Big John was close at all to stopping it. He looked hurt. How hurt, only he knows.

Another thing, the round is judged as a whole. Condit lost the round (on 2 out of 3 scorecards) which he knocked GSP down with a headkick and was in good position to finish. Now for some reason what happens late in the round if its something very significant usually counts for more, a lot more, but there is no actual rule about that. It's just a human fallacy.

19. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

I try to never gauge "how hurt" someone looks. I saw Jones get tagged and retreat/turn away. That signifies damage done to me. Guys show damage and stinger in different way, so I never try to see it "in their eyes."

Jones came on at the end, but I did not have it even up to that point, so it did not steal the round. It merely tied it at best.

In the end I had Gus winning 3-2 with an understandable 2-2 Draw. I think it is important to note though, that Gus outstruck Jones in the 5th but nobody talks about ti simply because of one non-fruitful takedown.

20. Sopapo

Sopapo Green Belt

Did Dos Santos almost finish Mark Hunt with that knockdown on rd 1? cause that at least put Hunto on the ground, where Gus was backing away defending himself. Plus by the end of the round he was in less trouble than when Jones started landing