No Judges, No Rounds, Finish Only

I don't think it would be any good, most fights would end in a draw, I think it would be much more common to have people trying to survive a fight.

Someone already figured out a way to fix terrible judging, it's to judge the fight as a whole, you can be pretty incompetent and still manage to do it well.

So what ? At least the wins would be actual wins, not like now where 15 wins can be achieved by falling a sleep on top of the other guy.
I've been saying this since the first (no) rules changed to the shitshow we have now.
MMA does not need judges to know who won, the guy standing is the guy who won.
Let's be honest here, if the other guy can still walk, talk and fight, you did not win shit, you got a gift win from some nitwit judges who thought you looked better during the fight.
But, but, but we would have many more draws. So f**king what ?
You get it
<5>

15 minutes for a regular fight, 25 minutes for a championship fight. No breaks except in the case of fouls.

A fighter can only win the match by finish. If no finish occurs, the fight is a draw.

This will solve these problems with MMA currently:

*Eliminate boring point fighters, they will not be able to advance under this system
*Eliminate bad decisions

The rules will have to be changed to prevent defensive stall tactics by the champions
Fix the fight ending in a draw and you might be up to something.

Fix the fight ending in a draw and you might be up to something.
Maybe you could have the draws affect their ranking. Draw with a lower ranked fighter, your rank goes down. But then you'd need a real ranking system. IDK

Exclusively employ exfighters as judges, with no affiliation to the fighters theyre judging and that would solve most of the issues.

No it wouldn't. There is no direct correlation between being good at a sport and being good officiating/judging it. Alot of fighters don't really understand shit.

You would arguably get even more biased judging as wrestlers will favour wrestling and strikers favoring strikers etc etc. It's really not a solution at all.

15 minutes for a regular fight, 25 minutes for a championship fight. No breaks except in the case of fouls.

A fighter can only win the match by finish. If no finish occurs, the fight is a draw.

This will solve these problems with MMA currently:

*Eliminate boring point fighters, they will not be able to advance under this system
*Eliminate bad decisions

The rules will have to be changed to prevent defensive stall tactics by the champions

I'd add one more thing -- no weight divisions. Why is it other contact sports (rugby, American football, hockey) can get by without weight divisions, but combat sports need them? Every combat sport out there started without weight divisions, and only introduced them for one reason, to have more championship matches (ie more weight divisions means more championship matches).

Getting rid of weight divisions would get rid of all the problems with weight cutting, including dehydrated and drained fighters.

I'd add one more thing -- no weight divisions. Why is it other contact sports (rugby, American football, hockey) can get by without weight divisions, but combat sports need them? Every combat sport out there started without weight divisions, and only introduced them for one reason, to have more championship matches (ie more weight divisions means more championship matches).

Getting rid of weight divisions would get rid of all the problems with weight cutting, including dehydrated and drained fighters.
Maybe 170, 205 and 265? The bigger they get the more boring fights because bad cardio and talent

Maybe 170, 205 and 265? The bigger they get the more boring fights because bad cardio and talent

If they have bad cardio and talent then smaller guys with better cardio and talent will beat them. That's what happens in hockey, rugby and football (all of which are far more competitive and well paying than MMA or any combat sport). Its how Kimura won the all-Japan judo championship at 170 pounds against 250 pounders, how Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis beat much bigger HW boxers while weighing under 200 pounds.

Size is part of fighting (like it is part of any contact sport). But skill and cardio can make up for some of it in any contact sport, which is why some of the best players in any contact sport are under 200 pounds. By the time you get a fit 200 pound guy (which is just about every WW and up in the UFC) they can with skill beat an untalented, out of shape 250 pound guy.

Smaller than that (fit weight of say under 160 pounds) and they'll probably never do well, but that's part of sport too -- its the same as the rarity of under 6' guys in the NBA, except the NBA has never made height divisions. And you do get the occasional Muggsy Bogues (he was 5'3" and played int the NBA).

I wouldnt mind seeing this. No breaks though. Fight goes on until a finish.

I don't think it would be any good, most fights would end in a draw, I think it would be much more common to have people trying to survive a fight.

Someone already figured out a way to fix terrible judging, it's to judge the fight as a whole, you can be pretty incompetent and still manage to do it well.
Judging the fight as a whole would take really good judges because most would forget what happened earlier and judge the fight on the later parts

There is a pretty clear line in this thread between people who watched the very early UFC's and the people that didn't.

Go watch Severn, Shamrock and Royce hump each other for 45 minutes and then tell me you still want these rules.

Maybe you could have the draws affect their ranking. Draw with a lower ranked fighter, your rank goes down. But then you'd need a real ranking system. IDK
Win 100% bonus money.
Loose 50% bonus money.
Draw the house wins.

Win 100% bonus money.
Loose 50% bonus money.
Draw the house wins.
Yeah, I'm thinking since they're prize fighters, they both fight for the same prize. None of that 3 mil for one guy and 200k for the other. They both fight for 3 mil. Loser gets less

Ufc is in the business of making money. They would lose the majority of their audience and have zero commercials to sell to advertisers. Good luck

If they have bad cardio and talent then smaller guys with better cardio and talent will beat them. That's what happens in hockey, rugby and football (all of which are far more competitive and well paying than MMA or any combat sport). Its how Kimura won the all-Japan judo championship at 170 pounds against 250 pounders, how Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis beat much bigger HW boxers while weighing under 200 pounds.

Size is part of fighting (like it is part of any contact sport). But skill and cardio can make up for some of it in any contact sport, which is why some of the best players in any contact sport are under 200 pounds. By the time you get a fit 200 pound guy (which is just about every WW and up in the UFC) they can with skill beat an untalented, out of shape 250 pound guy.

Smaller than that (fit weight of say under 160 pounds) and they'll probably never do well, but that's part of sport too -- its the same as the rarity of under 6' guys in the NBA, except the NBA has never made height divisions. And you do get the occasional Muggsy Bogues (he was 5'3" and played int the NBA).
I like the concept, it would also solve the problem of the champs who refuse to go up against the heavier champ, and everyone would be fighting at their optimum weight not trying to shoehorn themselves into a lighter division. I guess the only problem is how is Conor supposed to finish Ngannou?

royce vs sak was too long. we'd have a ton of this

Back