Nintendo NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v5: Breath of the Pokemon

It's 2023, stop expecting developers to give more bruh

The combat actually has a lot of depth with then ability/weapon switch abuse which in itself is fun, but the monsters are pretty lame and the story sucks

I am not sure what you are talking about. If you think the new Zelda is essentially Minecraft then I know you're definitely wrong on that point. Nintendo rarely disappoints with their games. Whatever they've concocted, I think it will be fun.

But you stay the pessimist.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are talking about. If you think the new Zelda is essentially Minecraft then I know you're definitely wrong on that point. Nintendo rarely disappoints with their games. Whatever they've concocted, I think it will be fun.

But you stay the pessimist.
Nintendo usually does, BotW is a good adventure game but a horrible Zelda game

Going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point. Yes it's not traditional Zelda with dungeons but BOTW captured the inspiration of the Legend of Zelda.

Any true Zelda fans would know this story (taken from wiki):
The Legend of Zelda was principally inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto's "explorations" as a young boy in the hillsides, forests, and caves surrounding his childhood home in Sonobe, Japan where he ventured into forests with secluded lakes, caves, and rural villages. According to Miyamoto, one of his most memorable experiences was the discovery of a cave entrance in the middle of the woods.[3] After some hesitation, he apprehensively entered the cave, and explored its depths with the aid of a lantern. Miyamoto has referred to the creation of the Zelda games as an attempt to bring to life a "miniature garden" for players to play with in each game of the series.[4]

When I played BOTW it made me think of Miyamoto's story. And it is practically the first game i've ever played where you can go almost anywhere and climb anything. I immediately understood what BOTW was trying to achieve. It is one of the best games I've ever played.

Reactions: hsz
Going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point. Yes it's not traditional Zelda with dungeons but BOTW captured the inspiration of the Legend of Zelda.

Any true Zelda fans would know this story (taken from wiki):
The Legend of Zelda was principally inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto's "explorations" as a young boy in the hillsides, forests, and caves surrounding his childhood home in Sonobe, Japan where he ventured into forests with secluded lakes, caves, and rural villages. According to Miyamoto, one of his most memorable experiences was the discovery of a cave entrance in the middle of the woods.[3] After some hesitation, he apprehensively entered the cave, and explored its depths with the aid of a lantern. Miyamoto has referred to the creation of the Zelda games as an attempt to bring to life a "miniature garden" for players to play with in each game of the series.[4]

When I played BOTW it made me think of Miyamoto's story. And it is practically the first game i've ever played where you can go almost anywhere and climb anything. I immediately understood what BOTW was trying to achieve. It is one of the best games I've ever played.
His childhood fucking sucked and was boring then. It's not even close to a Zelda game

I don't like how focused they seem to be on all the sandbox stuff.

It was fun to mess around with some things in BotW but you could ignore that stuff and still have a great adventure game. Now it seems like they want to make it the main selling point.

Also that warping through the ceiling looks really dumb and is another part of the "you can do anything" approach I don't think I'll enjoy.

I managed to get a pretty cheap pre-order so I'll play the game anyway, but that really took my hype levels down.

I dont agree with this. After Skyward Sword, Zelda needed a modern makeover. I think for the most part they got it right and they revolutionized the genre at the same time. I would love to see them take all of the amazing work they did with BOTW and build a more traditional Zelda game around it. Instead they seem to be leaning into the weird shit in BOTW I didn't like. The "technology". Like what is this shit? Link can morph through ceilings now? I don't get it and I dont like it. Why can't they just make a really fucking badass adventure game full of cool places to explore, lots of enemies and tough dungeons? I just think they're completely focusing on the wrong shit. After playing something like Elden Ring, the idea of Link as Bob the magical Builder is very unappealing.

I dont agree with this. After Skyward Sword, Zelda needed a modern makeover. I think for the most part they got it right and they revolutionized the genre at the same time. I would love to see them take all of the amazing work they did with BOTW and build a more traditional Zelda game around it. Instead they seem to be leaning into the weird shit in BOTW I didn't like. The "technology". Like what is this shit? Link can morph through ceilings now? I don't get it and I dont like it. Why can't they just make a really fucking badass adventure game full of cool places to explore, lots of enemies and tough dungeons? I just think they're completely focusing on the wrong shit. After playing something like Elden Ring, the idea of Link as Bob the magical Builder is very unappealing.
Skyward sword is bad because it's just revisiting everything 40 times. It railroads you into every place and tries to put over the story more than the adventure

Maybe this is a good place to ask... I'm about to buy a Switch for my kids, ages 9 and 7. They're very much novices at gaming, their experience mainly being bumbling around with assorted Mario games on my old ass Wii and Gamecube. They play once a week, sometimes twice if they're lucky. They love Mario Kart, and have played it on Switch, so that's definitely a must-buy game. Any other Mario games (or heck, games in general) you'd recommend for the Switch that have a reasonable degree of difficulty for nonserious gamers?

Maybe this is a good place to ask... I'm about to buy a Switch for my kids, ages 9 and 7. They're very much novices at gaming, their experience mainly being bumbling around with assorted Mario games on my old ass Wii and Gamecube. They play once a week, sometimes twice if they're lucky. They love Mario Kart, and have played it on Switch, so that's definitely a must-buy game. Any other Mario games (or heck, games in general) you'd recommend for the Switch that have a reasonable degree of difficulty for nonserious gamers?

Mario Bros U Deluxe
Kirby’s Star Allies

Super Mario Odyssey is great

Mario Party might be a good one as well.. With enough controllers your whole family can play with them as well.

Does anyone use a third party dock?

I got this one. I read about third party docks bricking Switches in the past but from what I've seen, as long you use the original Switch charger everything should be ok.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B086V3Y2RJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I do but not that one. I just got it and I thought it bricked my sons Switch. Finally was able to get it to boot up again. Scared to use it now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B2QTBJX2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I had heard the same about them bricking Switches, so I never really considered one. What's the appeal to another dock? For multiple TVs?
Also, damn, that av.
<{Joewithit}>
That's what we do. He has his main dock in his room and we bought the spare one for the living room. My daughter also has a switch, dock and TV in her room. Ironically they exclusively play in handheld mode. I wanted to play Metroid Prime remastered on my big new TV so i bought another dock. Unfortunately that game seems to have some serious lag issues when docked. So basically I'm great at wasting money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back