Nighttime Protein Shake

Geez are you serious?

You are confusing digestion with absortion in many of those points (while some are just incorrect). Primary digetsion is breaking down solids into chyme then breaking down chyme to be absorbed into the bloodstrem through various pathways. The makeup of a meal and its individual properties determine how digestion/absortion takes place. Stating protein digests this way and carbs digest this way is incorrect becasue even within those macronturients there are varitions that determine how much and how fast gets digested and absorbed. There are simply too many variables to make blanket statements about macronutrient digestion.

Example: A steak will take much longer to digest because of its fat content even though its an extremely high protein source. The protein portion has little to do with the intial stages of breaking down fats into lipids and until that is accomplished the protein portion won't be absorbed.

Too many variables.

The majority of delay when it comes to fats is either

a) When they are in a solid state and it delays the breakdown of bolus (solid like state) into chyme (semi-liquid) state. With a shake, this process is already complete so that delay is almost nonexistant....Think of red meat and the difference in fats vs. oils.

b) The emulsification of saturated or transfatty acids within the small intestine. At this point the absortion of amino's is already taking place.

So in general when your fat amount is about 1-2tblsp within a liquid state already (thanks to your blender) the delay in amino absortion is almost non-existant.

Whole foods are where fats delay digestion the most. Even then the actual absortion of nutrients (amino's specifically) isn't altered that much. The process of breaking down whole foods and trasnfering them to the lower part of the stomach and into the small intestine is just a much slower process because of its makeup.

For the record the stomach only goes through 2 steps of protein assimilation whereas the small intestine has 8. But I am sure you knew that.

I myself don't take a night time shake right now. I eat late enough and am using IF principles at this point in time. However there are a lot of good night time casein shakes. Any online store will have them.

This thread got hijacked by dude's debating shit well above my Supplement/Nutrition IQ. Thanks for those of you that contributed protein shake ideas, and for you geniuses, dumb it down a little already!

You should try cottage cheese and nuts. That will cover protein, fats, and carbs. If you're set on a shake, however, you should take casein protein before bed, or, if you have a sensitivity to lactose, egg protein.

I just noticed King creatine, you live in Utah. I am in SLC, you should stop by the gym sometime.

I just noticed King creatine, you live in Utah. I am in SLC, you should stop by the gym sometime.

I didn't realize that Vedic. I may have to make an appt to swing by in July on my way back from Vegas if that's cool.

try eating cottage chees before bed. Has caesin protein and the dairy is good for night time too. It's cheap and effective.

try eating cottage chees before bed. Has caesin protein and the dairy is good for night time too. It's cheap and effective.

if you can stomach it. I can't :-(

/goes and drinks his casien/water/olive oil drink.

~Foz

if you can stomach it. I can't :-(

/goes and drinks his casien/water/olive oil drink.

~Foz

I like cottage cheese, but it does get a little old eating a cup of it. I put a little pepper on it though and that helps.

no olive oil is something I love. It's the only thing I'll cook in.

I didn't realize that Vedic. I may have to make an appt to swing by in July on my way back from Vegas if that's cool.

Of course, just pm me ahead of time and I will give you my digits:icon_chee Also let me know a week or so in advance. I do two day excursions quite a bit in the summer.:icon_chee:icon_chee

Of course, just pm me ahead of time and I will give you my digits:icon_chee Also let me know a week or so in advance. I do two day excursions quite a bit in the summer.:icon_chee:icon_chee

I will probably do that then. I am going to UFC 86 on my BDay, and staying till the 8th IIRC. As long as you don't mind working around my not quite recovered shoulder, I might just have to make that detour on the way home. I'll PM you after I look at the itinerary to make sure of the dates.

Sounds good. Sound advice doesn't really require working out. Hit me up.

buy pro-nos multi-fractionated whey isolate complex. its only about 20 bucks and that stuff is amazing probally the best whey protein on the market. it increases nitric oxide levels by 950%, while it reduces belly fat by 4.30% and it increases amino acid delivery. With 42 grams of protein per serving plus it tastes okay as well, trust me buy this stuff and if you could use it with gammo, and gakic for quick gains and strength increase.

Back