Nighttime Protein Shake

King Creatine

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I need an economical, effective night time protein shake recipe, STAT!

I've been taking Muscle Milk (it has its flaws, I know) but it's getting too expensive for my budget. I need a shake that will help build/maintain lean mass AND help with recuperation.

What should it consist of?
whey?
Casein?
Fish oil?
Flax?
supplement x?
NOX3GC :redface:

What kind of protein/carbohydrate/fat ratio should it have?

I've been taking Muscle Milk (it has its flaws, I know) but it's getting too expensive for my budget. I need a shake that will help build/maintain lean mass AND help with recuperation.

whey?
Casein?
Fish oil?
Flax?
supplement x?

ttt please

blueberries, cottage cheese (1 cup), milk, stevia leaf (if desired)
blend and enjoy (1 hour before bed)

5mg glutamine, zma and melatonin an hour later

your evening protein source should be cassein

whey?
Casein?
Fish oil?
Flax?
supplement x?

half the stuff you listed isnt even protein... are you looking for a flax supplement or a protein supplement!

see, this is so easy it hurts. buy bulk casein, like NOW calcium caseinate or something with flavor if you like that instead. mix a scoop into skim milk. drink.

I'm not a fan of milk at night due to the insulin spike, but as others have mentioned there are plenty of cheap casein alternatives to MM. Fish oil caps are a great addition, but that strictly temporally speaking (not physically -that would just be gross).

Cottage cheese works well for most, but the sodium kills me during a time of natural dehydration (ie sleep).

Ok I was always told (Probably incorrectly) that cottage cheese is fatty. I see low fat Cottage cheese and I presume that is what most of you guys are eatting?

Also if I'm trying to loose weight it's still ok to eat that an hour before bed? I read the reciepe of Cottage ceehese and instand pudding mix (No fat no sugar kind) and I have heard it tastes great and calms the sweet tooth.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is what I was told on Milk and insulin response from someone that I respect very much. I think you may be off a little Dave.

"Most of time it is correlated but many items that have a high fat content that are very low on the GI have significant amounts of insulin release. Such items as Cottage cheese, Whole Milk, Eggs, Meats etc....have a much larger release of insulin even though their response is almost nil.

Milks effects on the response and release is relatively low when its skim milk. There was a study that showed some type of milk had higher insulin responses than what the GI was showing but the type of milk used was a Sedish brand with had virtually no response and the findings showed it has a low-mod response. This is due to the amino acid content but overall the response was still low-mod.

It creates a larger release (amount) not an increased spike (response). As to why I don't know. Its fairly a new dicovery over the last couple years."

I don't use milk at all so its neither here nor there for me, but I am backing Kims stance on the insulin.

blueberries, cottage cheese (1 cup), milk, stevia leaf (if desired)
blend and enjoy (1 hour before bed)

5mg glutamine, zma and melatonin an hour later

your evening protein source should be cassein

5mg of glutamine and ZMA is next to nothing.. There is more glutamine in a half of an ounce of your cottage cheese.

"There are some instances, however, where a food has a low glycemic value but a high insulin index value. This applies to dairy foods and to some highly palatable energy-dense "indulgence foods." Some foods (such as meat, fish, and eggs) that contain no carbohydrate, just protein and fat (and essentially have a GI value of zero), still stimulate significant rises in blood insulin."

The New Glucose Revolution (New York: Marlowe and Company, 2003, pages 57-58

casein is kind of expensive, but it's the type of protein you want before bed. I'd have at least half a scoop with some milk and some fat

Ok I was always told (Probably incorrectly) that cottage cheese is fatty. I see low fat Cottage cheese and I presume that is what most of you guys are eatting?

Also if I'm trying to loose weight it's still ok to eat that an hour before bed? I read the reciepe of Cottage ceehese and instand pudding mix (No fat no sugar kind) and I have heard it tastes great and calms the sweet tooth.

nothing wrong with fat, as long as it's not trans fat. Fat is good at night to help your body stay in an anabolic state for longer.

Huh? Fat helps your body stay in a anabolic state for a longer time? Proof?

a meal with fat takes longer to digest/absorb than a similar meal without fat

Ummm you are a little mixed up there man. In liquid form fat won't slow anything. In a whole food meal, it can slow it a little but not as much as you think.

Ummm you are a little mixed up there man. In liquid form fat won't slow anything. In a whole food meal, it can slow it a little but not as much as you think.

He's not mixed up at all. Regardless of it being liquid or not. You take two of the exact same thing, then add fat to one. The one with fat is always going to digest slower than the one without.

Obviously completely different foods, one being a liquid and one being a solid, the liquid will digest faster. This is only due to much greater surface area of the liquid food.

Yes, he is. Look its simple. The adding of EFA'a does not negate that statement because the contents are still in a liquified form and will not delay gastric emptying. Furthermore the absortion of aminos is done through the small intestine and the absortion of fats is taken up lymphatically unless they are MCT's (in which they act more as carbs) so the idea that the influx is delayed to a point that it actually effects digestion is highly overrated. Another message board myth that seems to be spreading....

If you want to argue semantics get your ducks in a row.

There is low fat and even no-fat cottage cheese. I had it in my fridge yesterday until I threw it out (I'm done trying to like it - no matter what I mix it with it makes me gag).

Yes, it's still okay to eat before bed. It's only wrong to do so for the average person who's diet is very high in carbs/fat. As long as you're meeting your daily caloric goal, it's perfectly fine!

Yes, he is. Look its simple. The adding of EFA'a does not negate that statement because the contents are still in a liquified form and will not delay gastric emptying. Furthermore the absortion of aminos is done through the small intestine and the absortion of fats is taken up lymphatically unless they are MCT's (in which they act more as carbs) so the idea that the influx is delayed to a point that it actually effects digestion is highly overrated. Another message board myth that seems to be spreading....

If you want to argue semantics get your ducks in a row.

I'm not saying how much of a difference it makes isn't overrated. It is undeniable that it makes a difference, though. It has more to do with our body's prioritization of macronutrient digestion. Proteins have to be broken down in the stomach before amino acids can be absorbed in the small intestine. If we were talking someone that is eating only isolated amino acids and adding fat to it, you would be completely correct.

When it comes to something like casein protein, the digestion time of added fats is a drop in the bucket. It is totally irrelevant to a nighttime protein shake, but I still don't think the guy was that far off. Some fats should be included in every meal, though, for reasons that have nothing to do with digestion.

Back