Nick Diaz Boxing style

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First of when I typed the title, I mis-typed it as "Nick Diaz bong style". While that could be interesting to some, that would belong in a different forum.

Cagepotato posted the video by Julian Batistuta on Nick Diaz's style of boxing. It shows Diaz practicing particular combos and then multiple fight examples of him using those combos. It is cool to see that he uses a distinct and trained style even if it is very different from traditional syles.

Just goes to show you how feinting and throwing combinations makes up for a lack of speed.

it's insane how good he is considering he moves like a zombie.

what a fun clip. thanks for sharing, hes made himself so effective considering his complete lack of certain facets of physical ability

Wow, what UNBELIEVABLE boxing skill! Seriously...I do not believe it...

The Diaz bros are not boxers they are punchers. For anyone to disagree doesn't know a thing about boxing.

I personally never said he is a boxer. He just has distinctive punching style and it is obviously trained and done purposely rather than blindly.

I will admit, this is the most extensively I've ever seen anyone in MMA plan to box sloppily.

It seems to me people put the cart before the horse when it comes to styles. A style is as good as your ability to meld to it. Uriah Faber, JDS, GSP, Maia all have terrible styles for me because I do not possess their abilities. Dominick Cruz's style always worked well for me in sparring and in bouts. I would almost never commend it for young fighters, however, unless they possessed the same pallet of skills.

It's the same with Diaz, and things some people don't seem to understand about the "Diaz style":

(1) It's foundation is his cardio/output rate/chin, and quality strike selection.

(2) He does not allow you to breath. You have to stay tight and tense when you are having to react to opponent strikes.

(4) He forces you to commit to a shell because one simply can't feint as often as he's throwing.

(5) Because of his wide and flat stance, he torques with quality power WHEN he decides to land hard shots.

So in essence, it is not that the Diaz style is good or bad. It is that he tailored it to his strengths. He has days of cardio, a strong chin, and high striking intelligence.

You know, along with Wiz Cool not posting anymore and maybe die in a fire, it'd be nice if there isnt a thread about boxing and The Diaz Bros going together every few months. Now if it is about "Nick Diaz windmill style" or "Nick Diaz bitching style whenever no one want to trade with him", then it would be alright.

Back