New The SHiNiNG interpretation

xenomorph4prez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have recently become aware that Kubrick's The SHiNiNG has a lot in common with Dante's Inferno.

I stumbled upon this after listening to Juli Kearns theory in ROOM 237 about Jack potentially being a stand in for the Minotaur as the film version of The SHiNiNG features a hedge maze or labyrinth not found in Stephen King's novel. This was intriguing because Danny handles Jack very much the same way the Minotaur is handled by getting them both lost in the labyrinth. I did a search on the Minotaur and discovered that he was a man eater, a cannibal or canniBULLBig Grin. That was interesting because there are a few references to cannibalism in the film.

The search also led to the fact that the Minotaur appears in Dante's Inferno as an inhabitant of the 7th circle of Hell reserved for perpetrators of violence. This line is where things started getting interesting.

In Dante's Inferno Phlegethon is described as a river of blood that boils souls. It is in the Seventh Circle and is guarded by centaurs, who force souls to remain at their level. Here are punished the shades who committed crimes of violence against their fellow men (see Canto XII, 46-48). Here are murderers and tyrants: men who through their violent deeds in life caused hot blood to flow and now themselves are sunk in flowing, boiling blood. Dante sees Attila the Hun and Alexander the Great up to their eyebrows in it. He gets across it with help from Nessus.
A river of blood would describe the hemoglobin spewing elevator and two murderers up to their eyebrows in blood (albeit symbolically) describes the red bathroom scene where red walls are kept in frame at eyelevel with Jack and Delbert. I think the man waiting at the elevator with the boat paddle is a joke concerning the blood river or could possibly be a reference to Charon the ferryman. The fact that the bathroom is used to symbolize the river of blood works because the walls are red and Kubrick keeps the tops of the red even with the eyebrows of Jack and Delbert and the fact that the room is a place where water flows(river). A joke here that could have been unintentional is that they end up in the Red Bathroom (symbolic river of blood) because Delbert spills Jack's drink on him and wants to dry him off in the bathroom which is funny because they are eyebrow deep in symbolic blood so what's a spilt drink or two?

hqdefault.jpg

the-shining-bathroom-idea-jack-nicholson.jpg

This image is taken from Room 237. When the film is played forwards and backwards overlapping this image happens.

fa73d058-0234-4da2-aba3-b56adbbe697f.jpg

The remarkable thing about this is that the real blood on the walls from the twins line up with the symbolic blood on the walls of the Red Bathroom. It's odd that the real blood isn't on the walls beyond the border of the Red Bathroom walls. To me that seals it that the Red Bathroom is a symbol for murder and more specifically the twins murder.

With that revelation I started thinking about the Overlook itself an analog for the Inferno(Hell). Jack commits a lot of sins in the film and they take place in specific rooms that could be analogs for the circles of Inferno.

In the Gold Room Jack is gluttonous in his alcohol consumption. The party going on and the name of the room itself implies greed and gluttony.

In Room 237 Jack is lustful.

In the red bathroom murder is planned.

In the Colorado Lounge Jack is slothful. Wendy does the caretaking so jack can focus on his writing but is unproductive and spends time throwing a ball against the wall. Maybe another intentional or unintentional joke is that Jack is slothful in the Lounging area.

Also worth noting that Jack freezing to death and being trapped in a photo for eternity matches the punishment for betrayers of special relationships in the 9th circle whom are frozen in a lake of ice. The ultimate betrayal of father abusing child would land you here with Judas and Satan for company.

I feel like Danny is an analog for Dante, and the Inferno he is given a tour of is that of his father's.

I feel like Hallorahn is an analog of Virgil as Virgil is Dante's guide and protector likewise one could make a point Hallorahn fills those roles to Danny.

What brought this all together was me doing a search for The SHiNiNG and Dante's Inferno to see if these things had been noticed before and what popped up but a line from Dante's Inferno that takes place as Dante and Virgil depart from hell(the Overlook)

“To get back up to the shining world from there
My guide and I went into that hidden tunnel,

And Following its path, we took no care
To rest, but climbed: he first, then I-so far,
through a round aperture I saw appear

Some of the beautiful things that Heaven bears,
Where we came forth, and once more saw the stars.”

― Dante Alighieri, Inferno
Coincidence?

I think not as the circles of Inferno that correspond to the number 237 are as follows

Circle 2 is Lust
Circle 3 is Gluttony
Circle 7 is Murder

All of which Jack is guilty of during the film.

I also feel that the ending shot of Jack in the black and white photo date July 4 1921 serves two purposes. The first is that it shows that Jack's soul is frozen in eternity in the photo a symbol for the lake of ice(9th circle). If we didn't see the photo and Kubrick left us with Jack's frozen corpse in the maze I don't think we would have gotten the sense of utter and everlasting finality that the photo gives. The date on the photo and the line where Delbert tells Jack that he has always been the caretaker leads me to believe since Delbert is already dead and thus aware of eternity that he has always known Jack(in Hell).

I also think the July 4th date celebrates Danny and Wendy's escape and hard won independence of Jack, an abusive father and husband.

* New points of interest*

I have made a few more connections that could hint to Dante's Inferno as a thematic element for The SHiNiNG. The opening of the movie is Jack traveling along the mountainside towards The Overlook (Inferno/Hell) while "Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath) is playing. "Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath) is about Judgment Day when everyone get's what's coming to them based off of their deeds and the way they chose to live their lives. This applies because Inferno is punishment for those who commit evil deeds and Jack's punishment landed him in the 9th circle.

Another connection is this excerpt from Wikipedia's Dante's Inferno page.

The poem starts on Maundy Thursday in the year 1300. The narrator, Dante himself, is thirty-five years old, and thus "halfway along our life's path" (Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita)—half of the Biblical life expectancy of seventy (Psalms 89:10, Vulgate). The poet finds himself lost in a dark wood in front of a mountain, assailed by three beasts (a lion, a lonza [usually rendered as "leopard" or "leopon"],[2] and a she-wolf) he cannot evade. Unable to find the "straight way" (diritta via, also translatable as "right way") to salvation, he is conscious that he is ruining himself and falling into a "deep place" (basso loco) where the sun is silent (l sol tace).

The mountain is self explanatory as the Overlook is located at the base of a mountain.

The 3 animals that assail Dante and keep him from finding the straight way (or right path) are the Lion (pride), the Leopard (fraudulence), and the She wolf (avirce or greed).

These 3 animals represent the sins that prevent Dante from the right path in much the same way Jack's 3 "spirits" represent the sins that keep him from the right path and eventually over take Jack leading to his physical and spiritual demise.

Last edited:
Love the Shining but I don't see any hidden other than the typical Kubrick stuff. To me, it's just a well directed ghost story with the hotel having a seedy past.

I was really looking forward to Room 237 but it was ridiculous. People were really grasping at straws and trying to see and link things that weren't there. It's like seeing animals and objects in clouds.

WYou know Ts. I think you have seriously nailed it. I will need to watch the Shining again now from another perspective.

The point that each room represents one the inner circles is really interesting.

Good read, thanks Ts, nice work.

Tips hat.

You know Ts. I think you have seriously nailed. I will need to watch the Shining again now from another perspective.

The point that each room represents one the inner circles is really interesting.

Good read, thanks Ts, nice work.

Tips hat.

thank you kind sir or miss, and I appreciate you taking the time to read a wall of text most will say is babbling nonsense. :icon_chee

I've never bothered to (attempt to) interpret The Shining.

I take it at face value, because it is rather perfect, to me, all on its own.

I've yet to read/hear any interpretation that truly adds anything to the experience of watching the movie. I've seen some incredibly lucid and interesting interpretations on it, of course, it's just that they don't affect my viewing of the film in the slightest.

The Shining is by far my favorite movie to read theories and interpretation on.
All I have to say is I very much enjoyed reading this theory and found it extremely interesting, Thank You.

The Shining is by far my favorite movie to read theories and interpretation on.
All I have to say is I very much enjoyed reading this theory and found it extremely interesting, Thank You.

tumblr_m44udwYNC31qm7166o1_500.gif

Thanks for reading.

ye it makes sense drawing blood as an allusion to dantes inferno

red is a very symbolic color representing many different elements. it can represent love (cardiovascular system: heart/blood), courage (ie red badge of courage), warning/danger (stop signs), sexuality/sin, hatred/passion/anger, ect.

i actually think it represents jack's descent into madness and his lust for women & murder

his lust for women is depicted during the creepy bathtub scene when he makes out with the creepy lady and is horrified to wat she became and wat he had done

red rum or murder is depicted during the final act of the movie when he tries to murder and decapitate his family

the main ambiguous pt of the movie was the ending with the photograph. wat did it mean & wat is its significance?

ye it makes sense drawing blood as an allusion to dantes inferno

red is a very symbolic color representing many different elements. it can represent love (cardiovascular system: heart/blood), courage (ie red badge of courage), warning/danger (stop signs), sexuality/sin, hatred/passion/anger, ect.

i actually think it represents jack's descent into madness and his lust for women & murder

his lust for women is depicted during the creepy bathtub scene when he makes out with the creepy lady and is horrified to wat she became and wat he had done

red rum or murder is depicted during the final act of the movie when he tries to murder and decapitate his family

the main ambiguous pt of the movie was the ending with the photograph. wat did it mean & wat is its significance?

my thoughts on the photo at the end of the film

I also feel that the ending shot of Jack in the black and white photo date July 4 1921 serves two purposes. The first is that it shows that Jack's soul is frozen in eternity in the photo a symbol for the lake of ice(9th circle). If we didn't see the photo and Kubrick left us with Jack's frozen corpse in the maze I don't think we would have gotten the sense of utter and everlasting finality that the photo gives. The date on the photo and the line where Delbert tells Jack that he has always been the caretaker leads me to believe since Delbert is already dead and thus aware of eternity that he has always known Jack(in Hell).

I also think the July 4th date celebrates Danny and Wendy's escape and hard won independence of Jack, an abusive father and husband.

I'm sure the storm which keeps them trapped could be indicative of one of the circles. Wasn't that for the liars? Did Jack lie at all in the movie? But i am drunk and just trying to fit in around here so i could also be wrong in my hypothesis.

my thoughts on the photo at the end of the film

great perspective. nvr thought of it that way b4. nvr analyzed the movie as meta b4. thats pretty deep

i mite wanna go rewatch it and see things from that perspective.

this and the native american analogies are fascinating.

I'm sure the storm which keeps them trapped could be indicative of one of the circles. Wasn't that for the liars? Did Jack lie at all in the movie? But i am drunk and just trying to fit in around here so i could also be wrong in my hypothesis.

I think Jack's most grievous sins are represented by the "spirits" he sees.

The nude lady/old crone in ROOM 237 represents Lust = 2nd circle of Inferno

Lloyd the Bartender in the Gold Room represents Gluttony = 3rd circle of Inferno

Delbert Grady the butler/old caretaker/axe murderer in the Red Bathroom represents Murder = 7th circle of Inferno

each sin when matched with the number of it's circle in Inferno gives you 237

I think Jack even see's the spirits in that order.

20100219230547!Dante_Inferno_Levels.png

Last edited:
this and the native american analogies are fascinating.

If you have the time and patience this will blow your mind regarding the native American analysis of the film, I've read it 3 times and pick up something new every time.

mstrmnd Physical Cosmologies : The Shining

Last edited:
Back