• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media New Jiri footage hitting the bag

The amount of people critiquing jiri and his style in here is crazy to me. You all want to train the fun out of him and make his style a boring caricature of what you think good technique looks like -- you want him to train like the majority of other fighters, despite the fact that he has been champ and is better than the majority of other fighters.

Let jiri do his thing and enjoy the entertainment!

I didn't think there was going to be an actual bag involved

The amount of people critiquing jiri and his style in here is crazy to me. You all want to train the fun out of him and make his style a boring caricature of what you think good technique looks like -- you want him to train like the majority of other fighters, despite the fact that he has been champ and is better than the majority of other fighters.

There's going to be a lot of sad people here when Jiri takes the belt back from Potatoman.

That right cross is autistic af and fast af. Very hard to make a read on that kind of a punch. It looks weird but he gets insane leverage and amplitude on that shot. Jiri has some of the fastest hands in all of MMA. The only thing he should focus on a little more is his defense.

he is dedicated to his art but he has ALOT of holes to exploit on the feet. he leaves his punches hanging and has his chin up in the air. disciplined counter punches have alot of keys to victory. what jiri does have is very long limbs, a wide variaton of weapns and attacks and a lil bit of unpredictability. wich makes him a fun fighter that leaves it all in the octagon but as his carreer progresses I see more (t)ko losses piling up.

i dont see him fixing his problems so he better continue what he's doing.....put pressure and try to make it a fire fight. he would win against alot of fighters just not against the elite.

Hes not the same after the Teixeira fight.

This. Look at Johnny Walker, they took the crazy out of him and he just sucks now.

Jiri has the battle tested experience and the training of a Tekken 2 character, complete with the masterful teachings of Netero. A thousand punches of gratitude a day, horse stance, is the best base for modern MMA. Those that get it, get it. Those that don't, keep looking for your stats.

That unorthodox stuff is tough to deal with against a guy with some athleticism and length in his physical prime.. You basically have to throw away how you defend strikes when you fight a guy like Jiri because most guys you spar with tries to throw strikes with proper form so you have muscle memory on how to defend against those.

However, once guys like him lose a step they don't have the fundamental foundation to fall back on and will get caught against competent strikers often. I mean you see it even now. He gets hit a lot but because he's at his physical prime he can survive and maybe not take the full impact of shots.. Now imagine if he loses a little bit of speed and he won't be able to roll with the shots.. Yeah trouble.

He needs to rack up as many wins and leave his mark which he's on the way of before those reflexes start to slow. I still think he can beat Alex if they rematch soon

Reactions: HHJ
Everything Jiri does is respectable by me. Extremely unorthodox yet effective.

Now, I will say that his movement looked a little clunky a times but for sure he flows better when there’s an opponent in front of him.

Reactions: HHJ
Jiri is a beast. I do wish he got with a real team and stopped all his weird shenanigans. Some of the shit he does has me looking for Joshua Fabia amongst his coaches.

But who am i to tell him what to do*shrug*
Not a normal fighter. Never gonna be a normal fighter. His coaches are smart enough to realize that and hes been pretty much a very successful mma fighter so I dont understand what anyones problem is??

You'd think Jiri is still champ with all these threads about everything he does. If Jiri took his training seriously and trained in US at a top gym who worked on his boxing defense I think it would help his career a lot. He won't have a long career with that defense
If his career stopped tommorow it would be a full and successful career with a world title win in it.

"hurrrr durrr when he declines he will decline" - Sherdog genius

You can't skip on the fundamentals and get away with it your whole career.
Only the first 30 + fights I guess.

He's already gotten away with it and won a world title. Almost never loses, almost always finishes.

We got Porier saying he cant climb the mountain again after this fight he's having bur Jiri already climbed it. Who fuckin cares if when he declines he has a harder time? No shit sherelock.

Back