• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media New Jiri footage hitting the bag

I love Jiri, and I'm no MMA technical expert, but man alive I get the sense he has zero striking defence beyond having his long arms always in your way. Even in this video, he looks so hitable.

I agree with the Tony-of-LHW comments. I think Jiri is gonna fall off a cliff when he starts to slow down a little bit.

There's something very entertaining and quite succesful about the totally-unique and intense styles that guys like Tony and Jiri bring to the table, but it is absolutely rooted in physical talents like speed,timing and maybe most importantly, chin. Once these start to diminish even a little bit, it seems, the falloff is severe.

You can't help but wonder how much better these kinds of guys would do with a more traditional, more-defensive-minded training regime.

I think it’s a very cardio heavy approach, hes constantly doing more than his opponent with his crazy movements and feints, but at the same time he’s impossible to read and so he can land some surprising shots. I still remember him surging on Poatan and it seemed Pereira had no answer for it, until he clipped him of course.. but that was because Jiri became wreckless after his leg was compromised a bit.

I definitely agree with the Tony comparison, but I’m not so sure how much the style is reliant on chin and everything else as much as sheer athleticism (cardio). If you get hit with a bomb and you’re tired you’re probably going to fall. If you’re tired you’re not going to want to take punishment

You'd think Jiri is still champ with all these threads about everything he does. If Jiri took his training seriously and trained in US at a top gym who worked on his boxing defense I think it would help his career a lot. He won't have a long career with that defense
He’s had 35 professional fights. Define “long career.”

I think it’s a very cardio heavy approach, hes constantly doing more than his opponent with his crazy movements and feints, but at the same time he’s impossible to read and so he can land some surprising shots. I still remember him surging on Poatan and it seemed Pereira had no answer for it, until he clipped him of course.. but that was because Jiri became wreckless after his leg was compromised a bit.

I definitely agree with the Tony comparison, but I’m not so sure how much the style is reliant on chin and everything else as much as sheer athleticism (cardio). If you get hit with a bomb and you’re tired you’re probably going to fall. If you’re tired you’re not going to want to take punishment

I think that's a great point and it also applies to Tony - who has insane cardio. Indeed the unpredictability is a huge part of the effectiveness of the offense - and maybe this is a part of the defensive strategy to - if your opponent isn't sure what you're throwing next, they'll be less likely to unload on you, so you won't need to worry about blocking and headmovement quite as much.

Fascinating. I'd love to clone Jiri and have one of the clones train in a more traditional method while the other one is the Jiri we know and love. I wonder which would win in a fight - it's definitely possible that a traditional style just would not work very well for Jiri. It's just so... tantalyzing somehow. Like he seems so close to sheer excellence but for his defensive porosity, but maybe it's just not possible for that to be adjusted without ruining the whole recipe.

You can't skip on the fundamentals and get away with it your whole career.

it’s just the vibe that he “emits”. Does’t feel real at all.

He fights the same way that he speaks. So it feels pretty real. It's not like Strickland talking crazy shit and then jabbing for 5 rounds.

He fights the same way that he speaks. So it feels pretty real. It's not like Strickland talking crazy shit and then jabbing for 5 rounds.
Well, that’s a pretty valid point.

are we still doing that nu-mewvement bs?...

I love Jiri, and I'm no MMA technical expert, but man alive I get the sense he has zero striking defence beyond having his long arms always in your way. Even in this video, he looks so hitable.

I agree with the Tony-of-LHW comments. I think Jiri is gonna fall off a cliff when he starts to slow down a little bit.

There's something very entertaining and quite succesful about the totally-unique and intense styles that guys like Tony and Jiri bring to the table, but it is absolutely rooted in physical talents like speed,timing and maybe most importantly, chin. Once these start to diminish even a little bit, it seems, the falloff is severe.

You can't help but wonder how much better these kinds of guys would do with a more traditional, more-defensive-minded training regime.
They succeed because they are able to find their "abilities" that work with that style, which otherwise wouldn't work with a traditional styles. That's the whole thing about MMA, it allows room for this sort of stuff to be successful. Even in boxing, it's not enough to be able to dance well, the stuff you excel at. punches and types of defense, will depend on your body. You got to find what works for you and MMA allows this outside the box thinking.

They succeed because they are able to find their "abilities" that work with that style, which otherwise wouldn't work with a traditional styles. That's the whole thing about MMA, it allows room for this sort of stuff to be successful. Even in boxing, it's not enough to be able to dance well, the stuff you excel at. punches and types of defense, will depend on your body. You got to find what works for you and MMA allows this outside the box thinking.

I'm flattered that you can tell that I'm an excellent dancer based only on my sherdog posts.

I disagree though. I think the overwhelming rule is that solid fundamentals will beat new, unique approaches. There are many aspects to mma, to be sure, but there are a relatively narrow band of things that work. These have been discovered through the combined billions of hours of training, reviewing tape and coaching that has been done over the years.

The fundamentals approach is predictable by other fighters, sure, but it's also predictable by coaches who can easily diagnose and improve inefficiencies and holes in a fighters game that would be invisible to the fighter himself.

Human bodies are only so different from each other, there aren't entirely new approaches to throwing a punch that haven't been done before, and to the extent it even is possible to train in some new style that nobody has seen before, the fighter training in that style necessarily has to do it without the help of a coach or overall team that is knowledgeable in the intricacies of the style, which is a huge disadvantage.

it’s just the vibe that he “emits”. Does’t feel real at all.

Seems like you are in the minority - most of us feel his “vibe” is madman that wholeheartedly believes in what he’s doing.

I'm flattered that you can tell that I'm an excellent dancer based only on my sherdog posts.

I disagree though. I think the overwhelming rule is that solid fundamentals will beat new, unique approaches. There are many aspects to mma, to be sure, but there are a relatively narrow band of things that work. These have been discovered through the combined billions of hours of training, reviewing tape and coaching that has been done over the years.

The fundamentals approach is predictable by other fighters, sure, but it's also predictable by coaches who can easily diagnose and improve inefficiencies and holes in a fighters game that would be invisible to the fighter himself.

Human bodies are only so different from each other, there aren't entirely new approaches to throwing a punch that haven't been done before, and to the extent it even is possible to train in some new style that nobody has seen before, the fighter training in that style necessarily has to do it without the help of a coach or overall team that is knowledgeable in the intricacies of the style, which is a huge disadvantage.
Sorry, I meant there to be a comma and not a period. I didn't mean You are a good dancer.

Human bodies are very different, and even in boxing, something that is purely using your hands without the threat of wrestling, kicks or clinch, you can see massive differences in approaches and boxers who keep their hands low, something that fundamentalists conveniently overlook with an excuse they mastered them and are allowed to do what they want, which is a ridiclous logic.

Last edited:
You'd think Jiri is still champ with all these threads about everything he does. If Jiri took his training seriously and trained in US at a top gym who worked on his boxing defense I think it would help his career a lot. He won't have a long career with that defense

He's been pro for 12 years and has had 35 fights. He's already had a long and very good career with that defense.

Back