NEW! Hayabusa Kyoudo Shorts

So far, I've only seen a couple of "mini-reviews" on Budos, both positive though. And other than a few posts here, almost no feedback on them yet. Still wondering why/if Karo cut his shorts, lol.

If anyone has these shorts, it'd be cool to see some pics, especially of the closure system. And a review would be nice too.

*** Buy Hayabusa at your own risk ***

I have a pair of their carbon mechanix shorts. They are the worst pair of fight shorts I own. Embroidery is falling off, Stitching is coming out by the split seams, and the crotch area is ripping as well. The shorts fit well, that's so that's not the problem.

Normally I'd give the company the benefit of the doubt and say I just got a bad pair. But Since I paid $60 plus tax and shipping they don't get that luxury from me.

I've heard good things about them as well, but in my experience they aren't good shorts. I didn't even put them through that much strain. I'd say I rolled in them maybe 5-10 times, the rest of the time was just muay thai. With that kind of minimal strain I think the wear and tear is unacceptable.

Buy at your own risk fellow G&E readers!

I have a pair of the kyoudo's. They're great. But I have yet to grapple in them, just workouts, lifting, hard cardio and muay thai. I'll post a review once I hit the mats with them.

Wow. I can't believe that still no one posted a review. So here it goes:

I have two pairs of the Kyoudo Shorts. They were given to me as a gift, I have them in both white and black. I don't have any digital photos, because I have no digital camera and I'm far too lazy quite frankly.

FIT: I recommend buying a size up from what you normally wear. I wear a 32 in both Sprawl and Tapout shorts, but I needed a 34 in the Hayabusas. It wasn't really the waist that was the issue, it was the hips. They are cut a little more snug, though I'm 5'9" 200lbs. with rather large quads.

CONSTRUCTION: The shorts are extremely heavy, much heavier than Sprawl which is pretty much all I wear (both V-Flex and G-Flex). When I trained in them I wouldn't call them restrictive, but maybe a little hot. The legs have side slits so you can kick and move freely. They come down just below my knee, similar in length to my Tapouts, and longer than Sprawls. They have a flex panel in the crotch, just like the V-Flex. With the heavier material, however, comes extreme durability. The seams are sturdy, and they seem to be the shorts that would last forever. The waistband is both elastic and rubberized inside, with a drawstring, and it would be impossible to pull these off once fastened. I didn't feel they were all that comfortable, the drawstring is akward (tough to explain) and the velcro closure system has to be closed just right to be comfortable.

STYLE: I like the look a lot. The logos are embroidered and I like the Asian theme. I wouldn't wear them on the beach, as I think the rubberized waist would irritate against your skin.

OVERALL: I like them a lot, though I'm not sure they are my favorite. They are a nice alternative to Sprawls and while very different, probably the shorts I like most aside from the staple of my training gear.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to keep my eye on this thread. I also have both a short and long sleeve rashguard from Hayabusa and can comment on them. They are awesome.

Hey, thanks for the review. About time someone here did one, and despite no pics that was pretty good.

/One question about the flexibility: you said you can kick and move freely in them, but how would you compare their flexibility to the new G-Flex Sprawls? Can you high kick with ease and do full splits (or sprawl easily, if splits isn't your cup of tea)? I ask, because I've heard some negative remarks about the shorts' in that area.

Hey, thanks for the review. About time someone here did one, and despite no pics that was pretty good.

/One question about the flexibility: you said you can kick and move freely in them, but how would you compare their flexibility to the new G-Flex Sprawls? Can you high kick with ease and do full splits (or sprawl easily, if splits isn't your cup of tea)? I ask, because I've heard some negative remarks about the shorts' in that area.
I think that as long as you buy the proper size, you will be fine. They don't offer the freedom that the Sprawls do; my G-Flex shorts are almost too loose, exposing my compression shorts at times. The material isn't overly flexible, but the restriction would be more attributed to the cut, which is tighter in the thighs and hips, as opposed to the material or construction. If you're in between sizes, definitely go for the bigger one. The waistband can tighten nicely and as aforementioned, is extremely secure.

still can't justify why these shorts would be $65.

On another note, one of the only mma gear stores close to me here in Canada carries Sprawl g-flex at $79.99. Considering the Cdn $ is pretty at par with the US, still pretty pricey for good shorts.

I recently got a pair of these as well. I've rolled in them 2 or 3 times so far and I feel they are the best fight shorts I've ever tried. However I think they are more suited for taller/thinner guys due to the way they fit.

The legs are as baggy and lose as most other brands and the side seam isn't as high up either. This might restrict movement on guys with bigger legs etc. The waist is snug as well...I normally wear a 32 in most shorts and I these 32's fit spot on but are a tad tighter than usual in the waist area. It doesn't bother me at all since my waist is fairly small but again I could see this being an issue for the larger guys that wear a 32.

I'm 6'3" and weigh anywhere from 170 to 175....and these fit pretty much perfectly for my build.

Construction.....they are super sturdy and well made. Stitching is strong and the material is very very durable. Thick too.....they are paper thing like other shorts which I like. The velcro/drawstring system is awesome! Once these are on they stay on! And, with that rubberized waistband your rashguard stays tucked in very well.

They are kind of expensive but I think they are worth it....if you like the fit.

I recently got a pair of these as well. I've rolled in them 2 or 3 times so far and I feel they are the best fight shorts I've ever tried. However I think they are more suited for taller/thinner guys due to the way they fit.

The legs are as baggy and lose as most other brands and the side seam isn't as high up either. This might restrict movement on guys with bigger legs etc. The waist is snug as well...I normally wear a 32 in most shorts and I these 32's fit spot on but are a tad tighter than usual in the waist area. It doesn't bother me at all since my waist is fairly small but again I could see this being an issue for the larger guys that wear a 32.

I'm 6'3" and weigh anywhere from 170 to 175....and these fit pretty much perfectly for my build.

Construction.....they are super sturdy and well made. Stitching is strong and the material is very very durable. Thick too.....they are paper thing like other shorts which I like. The velcro/drawstring system is awesome! Once these are on they stay on! And, with that rubberized waistband your rashguard stays tucked in very well.

They are kind of expensive but I think they are worth it....if you like the fit.

I'm going to take the plunge next pay check. Always loved their shorts.

I splurged today and ordered a pair, hoping they may arrive for grapplers quest this weekend. I will try and get a picture of them on me. I'm 5'10 140-155lb (varies).

Cheers

As I said earlier, I have yet to grapple in these shorts, but I have had no problems with flexibility whilst wearing them, I wear them for full workouts and muay thai sparring and class. The fabric's heavier than on Sprawls, and feels a little stiffer, but still no flexibility issues at all.

Hayabusa is one of those companies where you get what you pay for. Yes, they are more expensive, but they are awesome. $65 for shorts might seem like a lot but they are built to last. I'd rather have 1 good pair of shorts than 3 that fall apart but where cheap.

Would a 32 for someone that is 5'10 140-155lbs be too big? Someone said order a size up because they run small then I read a few posts up a guy thats 6'3" 170 rocking a size 32?

I completely screwed up my order @ budovideos now :|

I'm still waiting for someone else to confirm that Karo cut his shorts in the fight against Alves. Maybe I was seeing things. lol

I ordered these shorts about a month ago and love them. Jaymitch, i'm 5'10 160 and i ordered a 30, my jean size are 29-30, and the 30 hayabusa fits perfectly. It's a bit snug but it hasn't hinder my moments at all.

I think I own a pair. How do I tell? What's different between these and last years' model? Like the chinese character on it?

Back