NCAA Wrestlers dont mean crap no more!

this was a problem for the cage mma\ufc.
att when Pride and UFC existed in the same period you could see how ufc fighters were, pretty much, all wrestler boxer.

in my country, for what i can do, i'm pushing some promoters i know that a Pride set of rules could make the difference.
Viva Italia. Get Pride rules and ill travel to see it

I think people are looking at this wrong. It's not the age of the strikers. It's the age of TDD. Strikers are realizing that they need to get good at wrestling or they're f&%$#@. Ex - Pettis vs Alvarez.

What people failed to mention is that Wonderboy trains with high level wrestlers so after getting tossed around like a pro at a bachelor party enough times he eventually became good at stopping the TD.

Last edited:
I could have said the same about you and your facts with Rockhold, but I felt no reason to be a dick about it.
Cockhold is more BJJ. Hes never been a great wrassler

I think GSP showed why NCAA credentials do not mean you will dominate in MMA.

Viva Italia. Get Pride rules and ill travel to see it

i spent some time talking about this with Carlo Di Blasi* (Petrosyan's manager, promoter and first person to put 'free fight' show on national television in the late 90's) who is now a Scott coker's partner in the Bellator coming in Italy in April.
For what i know Bellator is starting to copromote kickboxing\Full Muay Thai rules' fight in their Bellator's event (that is the way we always do event like this: a ring and a cage, alternating mma and kickboxing matches).
But take this with a grain of salt.

P.S.
you don't need this kind of event for come here.
80% of the world art, maybe even 90% if Napoleon didn't steal everything he could steal and bring it to the Louvre (when i came to the Louvre, at 19 yo, i wass so pissed off that i was going to spit in our guide's face after watching the italian part of the museum, which is the major one).

*he is the guy who used for the first time the term Oktagon (that is the name of his early big events\promotions, while Zuffa just bought the name and made it a copyright) and he's one of that - rare - promoter that fighters actually love to work with (pretty much as Coker and pretty much the opposite with Dana).

Last edited:
Decorated All american wrestlers like bader, rosholt, cain, mendes and of course hendriks recently lost and a few got ktfo

Years ago that wouldnt have happened, MMA was taken over by lnp merchants

Strikers have taken over!

Sensationalism seems to be the hallmark of newer fans.

Cockhold is more BJJ. Hes never been a great wrassler
His wrestling ability actually compliments his BJJ. I wish more wrestlers would learn to transition to BJJ from top control rather than laying in guard. Wrestling is a great skill to have, it just can't be the only one with the others being really weak. I think you're right about it being dominant like it once was. Some really good MMA wrestlers have no collegiate background and are often better at applying it than those that do.

Decorated All american wrestlers like bader, rosholt, cain, mendes and of course hendriks recently lost and a few got ktfo

Years ago that wouldnt have happened, MMA was taken over by lnp merchants

Strikers have taken over!
Probably because fighters have realised that wrestling is the most important tool to have in your bag .No wrestling your opponent still has the option take you down a wrestle fuck you .

However the fighters mention are still using the MO of UFC circa 2000 ... forward pressure with boxing ,throw in the odd low leg kick , look for a take down dominate position and ground and pound . Unfair on Mendes who has a more rounded game .

It used to work , now the sport has evolved and the fighters are good everywhere, being good at something just isn't going to cut it .It wasn't long ago that BJJ black belts thought it was some how sacrilege to train wrestling.

It's cyclical. Grapplers will take over again once they learn to adapt. Then strikers will do the same.

Sensationalism seems to be the hallmark of newer fans.
Newer eh, not even a word but ill play along. Youre the guy with post TUF fighters as your fave fighters

We had a name for the likes of you....TUF noobs

So Conor wrestled in high/secondary school? Even though theres no wrassling whatsoever in ireland

Get your facts straight, guy

He said many, not all. Cool your jets laddy boy, else Joe Joyce'll come'n eat yer wee ones!

big-joe-joyce-o.gif

This is the era of dynamic strikers, MMA has certainly evolved to a new level in a relatively short time. I can't imagine what it would be like in 10 years.

Fuck lay n prayers, wall n stallers, and point fighters.

NCAA wrestling doesn't necessarily equate to that, though.

MM-no
Cruz-no
Mc Gregor-Hell no
RDA-no
Lawler-no
Rockhold-no
Jones/cormier-yes
Werdum-no

So the only champs that wrestled in college are from the LHW division

Rethink your statement
Several of them wrestled in high school and as we all know, High School Wrestling can be as good or better a base than Olympic wrestling.

You would think people would realize that you don't have to be a D1 wrestler to become a good MMA wrestler. Honestly, it seems like the easiest of the bases for fighters to pick up and at least learn how to defend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Strikers like Wonderboy are the future of MMA. Guys who have elite standup and can actually keep themselves from getting wresltefucked. It was clear in about 20 seconds that Hendricks was absolutely fucked if the fight stayed standing.

The fight I want to see is Wonderboy vs Rory. I have no idea if Wonderboy's wrestling is good enough to keep Rory off him. If it is, Rory is going to get fucking mauled. As for Robbie, he gets KO'd by Thompson within 2 rounds. Robbie's standup is fairly close to Hendricks, so he's going to get wrecked. Robbie is too dumb to try and wrestle him.

Everybody's a wrestler now, it's not like before where a guy would only have been wrestling for a couple of years, if your in the UFC chances are you've been wrestling in practice for 5+ years

And not just wrestling, MMA wrestling.

MM-no
Cruz-no
Mc Gregor-Hell no
RDA-no
Lawler-no
Rockhold-no
Jones/cormier-yes
Werdum-no

So the only champs that wrestled in college are from the LHW division

Rethink your statement

Mighty Mouse wrestled in highschool, and it appears he may not have attended college(given that he started fighting at 20-21 years old)

Cruz has extensive training in amateur wrestling, as evidenced by the fact that he virtually outwrestles everyone he's fought.

RDA may not come from a wrestling background, but he does come from a BJJ/Judo background, and has transitioned into wrestling since entering MMA

Lawler is the quintessential wrestleboxer, with kicks. It's not his primary base, but he did wrestle prior to his fighting career.

Rockhold wrestled in highschool, with some Judo before that.

Out of that list only McGregor and Werdum come from backgrounds with virtually no wrestling. There's more to wrestling than constant power doubles.

Just like it did in the 90s, and again in the '00s. This stuff goes in cycles.
what happens next is the wrestlers get better at striking and are able to set up their takedowns better

Mighty Mouse wrestled in highschool, and it appears he may not have attended college(given that he started fighting at 20-21 years old)

Cruz has extensive training in amateur wrestling, as evidenced by the fact that he virtually outwrestles everyone he's fought.

RDA may not come from a wrestling background, but he does come from a BJJ/Judo background, and has transitioned into wrestling since entering MMA

Lawler is the quintessential wrestleboxer, with kicks. It's not his primary base, but he did wrestle prior to his fighting career

Out of that list only McGregor and Werdum come from backgrounds with virtually no wrestling. There's more to wrestling than constant power doubles.

Im talking about college wrestling

Hell, every tom, dick and harry did HS wrestling, even Zack Morris and AC slater did it. Should they be MMA fighters now, guy?

Back