NCAA Wrestlers dont mean crap no more!

Don't worry, with some adjustments they'll be back. MMA is a constantly revolving door of what styles are more dominant at any given point. Sure, some have more longevity than others. But there's no way wrestling will ever just die out.

DC was an All American and Jon Jones a JuCo national champion. The top 10 of every single division is littered with great wrestlers.

If we plot the data it would still be the most successful base in high level MMA.

Being a great wrestler doesn't mean you will go undefeated for all time. You have to be a ding-dong to think that is a possible standard.

Well Strikers learned to wrestle because they really was getting wrecked by the so complete fighters who once are the wrestle box fighters.

Now it's time to wrestlers to become great strikers. MMA in 5 years will be on another level.

Actually their ability to integrate it in to mma is their downside.
GSP is the one GOAT at mma
wrestling. All the ones you mentioned have not intergrated their wrestling well in mma.
Rumble is a wrestler.

Jon Jones is also a wrestler, this idea that wrestling as a base is a thing of the past is nonsense, it's become a 'defensive' tactic whereas in the past it was 'offense' all the way. This really started to change when 'Chute Boxe' came on the scene.

The same can be said about BJJ black belts, if you know how to neutralize it.

It's all about the WWE wrestlers now.

It's always been about the WWE wrestlers...

tumblr_n3e1gkOCcQ1sbzhteo1_400.gif

4451864_o.gif

Actually their ability to integrate it in to mma is their downside.
GSP is the one GOAT at mma wrestling. All the ones you mentioned have not intergrated their wrestling well in mma.
Rumble is a wrestler.
Jon Jones is also a wrestler, this idea that wrestling as a base is a thing of the past is nonsense, it's become a 'defensive' tactic whereas in the past it was 'offense' all the way. This really started to change when 'Chute Boxe' came on the scene.
Chute boxe was around pre 2000. Didnt stop wrasslers back then

It's not that wrestling doesn't "mean anything" anymore, it's that people are that much more trained in defending it.

So you could argue it's more important than its ever been in the history of combat sports.

MM-no
Cruz-no
Mc Gregor-Hell no
RDA-no
Lawler-no
Rockhold-no (wrestled for a short time in community college)
Jones/cormier-yes
Werdum-no

So the only champs that wrestled in college are from the LHW division

Rethink your statement
While this is true, many of them do have a high school wrestling background. Only RDA and Werdum do not. And that was often before they started any other form of MMA training. So it could be considered their base.

I was thinking that some time ago as well. Couple of years ago it looked like MMA was going to turn into a match of whoever could take the other down first. Gladly fighters got a lot better at standing up.

Just like it did in the 90s, and again in the '00s. This stuff goes in cycles.

stop spreading common sense, please.
here we like to think that mma is constantly evolving, that gsp is passed by the new breed (pretty much the same people that were in the ufc before gsp retired).

You don't really believe that do you? Think about how many of the current/recent champions that have college wrestling backgrounds, most all of them do.
DC is the only one off the top of my head that I know has it. Dom, MM, and Rockhold have some wrestling too IIRC but I'm not sure they're were high level guys. Really Rockhold is more of a BJJ guy than a wrestler.

MM-no
Cruz-no
Mc Gregor-Hell no
RDA-no
Lawler-no
Rockhold-no
Jones/cormier-yes
Werdum-no

So the only champs that wrestled in college are from the LHW division

Rethink your statement

All of those guys wrestled from a young age though, maybe aside from Werdum, Conor & RDA.

While this is true, many of them do have a high school wrestling background. Only RDA and Werdum do not. And that was often before they started any other form of MMA training. So it could be considered their base.
So Conor wrestled in high/secondary school? Even though theres no wrassling whatsoever in ireland

Get your facts straight, guy

I was thinking that some time ago as well. Couple of years ago it looked like MMA was going to turn into a match of whoever could take the other down first. Gladly fighters got a lot better at standing up.

this was a problem for the cage mma\ufc.
att when Pride and UFC existed in the same period you could see how ufc fighters were, pretty much, all wrestler boxer.

in my country, for what i can do, i'm pushing some promoters i know that a Pride set of rules could make the difference.

So Conor wrestled in high/secondary school? Even though theres no wrassling whatsoever in ireland

Oops, missed Conor. I think everyone understands that.

I could have said the same about you and your facts with Rockhold, but I felt no reason to be a dick about it.

Back