International NBA cowtowing to China

How much is the NBA beholden to China?

• Total voters
As milk toasty as it was, Silver took a pretty courageous stand all things considered. Few organizations would do that.

As for China, I strongly disagree with you and believe they have done something wrong. At least by American standards. They are trying to silence free speech. Per American standards that is a large violation of freedom. I have not idea why you think thats okay.

hi HomeCheese,

they aren't trying to silence free speech, my friend.

*muses*

lets say you and i are doing business together. you have these pineapples that you want to sell, and i (IGIT) am your primary pineapple customer.

then i read a tweet where you complain about how i beat my children.

well, i'm not going to buy any of your pineapples any longer, probably. or i'd say to you, "Homecheese, if you want me to buy your pineapples, do not humiliate me on twitter any longer regarding how i discipline my chlidren".

i'm not really abrogating your 1st amendment rights. its still your choice.

that's whats going on right now.

we want to expand into China and sell pineapples, you know? its our choice and Americans, along with corporate America - along with Hollywood - along with the NBA - along with the President of the United States....they've all agreed to the terms.

but hey, lol. everyone has instead decided to focus their angst at Secretary of State Steve Kerr.

- IGIT

hi HomeCheese,

they aren't trying to silence free speech, my friend.

*muses*

lets say you and i are doing business together. you have these pineapples that you want to sell, and i (IGIT) am your primary pineapple customer.

then i read a tweet where you complain about how i beat my children.

well, i'm not going to buy any of your pineapples any longer, probably. or i'd say to you, "Homecheese, if you want me to buy your pineapples, do not humiliate me on twitter any longer regarding how i discipline my chlidren".

i'm not really abrogating your 1st amendment rights. its still your choice.

that's whats going on right now.

we want to expand into China and sell pineapples, you know? its our choice and Americans, along with corporate America - along with Hollywood - along with the NBA - along with the President of the United States....they've all agreed to the terms.

but hey, lol. everyone has instead decided to focus their angst at Secretary of State Steve Kerr.

- IGIT

What? Pineapples????? You must be really bored today to be making fruit analogies trying to justify what China is doing.

They got pissed over a tweet. China wants to do it's dirty work in the dark and don't like people talking about it.

Further, how many of the folks in this thread that are condemning the NBA and it's players would give up a significant part of their paycheck to stand up for Hong Kong? How many would give a couple million dollars to stand up for Hong Kong?

hiya Bargey,

Because, IGIT, he presents as this ultra woke person who will criticize the president for the slightest thing.

actually, Steve Kerr does not present himself as an ultra woke person. that, however, does seem to be the price you pay if you're a public figure and speak out against the POTUS on any social matter whatsoever.

you get categorized as an "ultra woke person". that's not his doing.

But now can’t comment on China? And no - China is not Palestine but they are the #1 social and business issue of the NBA. For someone so outspoken on other issues, even finding a way to squeeze in gun control (again), not only was he unable to muster up a meaningful comment but, like Trump said, he actually came across as scared. It wasn’t a simple, firm “no comment” which would have actually been more respectable.

his response seemed to indicate he was still thinking about it. i think that's alright, if that's what he's doing.

i don't think Mr. Kerr is obligated to speak out against the many human rights atrocities going on around the world, just because he has an opinion on racial issues or gun control topics in the United States.

And there’s nothing more pathetic than someone who is principled and woke when the issue or opinion they are advocating is of personal and social benefit to them but freezes when dealing with something that may adversely affect them economically and socially.

You know exactly where I’m coming from.

i do.

and if Mr. Kerr spent most of his time protesting human rights abuses across the globe, i'd ask him why he didn't have anything to say about Hong Kong.

- IGIT

Further, how many of the folks in this thread that are condemning the NBA and it's players would give up a significant part of their paycheck to stand up for Hong Kong? How many would give a couple million dollars to stand up for Hong Kong?

hi HomeCheese,

none.

and since something like 70% of Americans have less than a grand in their bank accounts, i'd ratchet that number down to $500.00.

- IGIT

Last edited:
The main issue is the NBA lets these guys speak on company time.
Free speach this, the 1st amendment that. On company time you do not have freedom of speech. You adhere the company rules. The NBA can stop this at any point.
Same reason you don't have free speech on social media. You essentially signed a contract with them.

hi HomeCheese,

none.

- IGIT

Nah, if I was already loaded like Mr. Kerr, with tens of millions of dollars worth of fuck you money, and truly believed in something, I'd speak out in a heartbeat. What good is fuck you money, if you're not going to say "fuck you" once in a while?

He's a fucking coward and a hypocrite.

I know, I know, but Drumph!. Spare me.

Nah, if I was already loaded like Mr. Kerr, with tens of millions of dollars worth of fuck you money, and truly believed in something, I'd speak out in a heartbeat. What good is fuck you money, if you're not going to say "fuck you" once in a while?

hi again HereticBD,

steve kerr’s net worth is 18 million dollars.

so, less than Trump (probably).

at any rate, my point still stands. why do you expect a guy who coaches basketball players to speak forcibly on behalf of democracy (for the Hong Kong protestors), when the leader of the free world is afraid to?

because the basketball coach had the temerity to give his opinion on gun rights or racial issues in the US? lol.

- IGIT

Last edited:
The main issue is the NBA lets these guys speak on company time.

hiya Crocop42,

if these NBA fellows had written their tweets at 3 am on a Sunday morning, the result would have been no different.

China would have issued their directives nonetheless.

- IGIT

hi again HereticBD,

at any rate, my point still stands. why do you expect a guy who coaches basketball players to speak forcibly on behalf of democracy (for the Hong Kong protestors), when the leader of the free world is afraid to?

I expect Kerr to be consistent in speaking out on human rights issues when asked, and the stakes that he's playing with compared to Trump, are not even remotely comparable. But you're gonna compare, because "But Drumph!" is all you know.

I get it, you're just a hack and have no real beliefs or moral core that you so sanctimoniously profess to have on a daily basis, much like your fellow Liberal hypocrite Steve Kerr, and well, pretty much all Liberals in general.

I'm not sure you have Kerr's motivation correct. Although he hasn't said one or the other, I suspect he is keeping his mouth shut out of respect for his players income. I doubt he makes much from the Chinese market but several of the Warriors players are heavily invested in China. Kinda hard to blame Kerr for being loyal to his guys.

I would also ask, how much of your paycheck are you willing to give up to support Hong Kong?

when the leader of the free world is afraid to?

He's done more than you've done regarding China. He's done more than Steve Kerr has ever done about China.

The President has enacted taxes on Chinese products while at the same time a politician has to be diplomatic and open to negotiations.

Steve Kerr, Popovich, Madonna, Johnny Depp, etc. all have big mouths against Republicans, but when there's a real Chinese dictator who oppresses minorities like Tibetans, these leftists all become silent. This is cowardice and hypocrisy no matter how you slice it.

I'm not sure you have Kerr's motivation correct. Although he hasn't said one or the other, I suspect he is keeping his mouth shut out of respect for his players income. I doubt he makes much from the Chinese market but several of the Warriors players are heavily invested in China. Kinda hard to blame Kerr for being loyal to his guys.

I would also ask, how much of your paycheck are you willing to give up to support Hong Kong?

I wouldn't have to give up any, because I'm not a public figure and nobody important cares what my opinion is on the whole ordeal.

Now, if I had fuck you money like Mr. Kerr, and was expected to have an opinion(considering I have been so outspoken in the past over similar issues), I would have absolutely no problem speaking out on what I believed in. The fact that he has fuck you money, and still won't say anything, makes him an extra special kind of coward.

hello HereticBD,

I expect Kerr to be consistent in speaking out on human rights issues when asked, and the stakes that he's playing with compared to Trump, are not even remotely comparable. But you're gonna compare, because "But Drumph!" is all you know.

you frame things very strangely.

first you claim that Kerr should speak freely, since he has enough money to.

then you claim that Trump cannot speak freely, because he's negotiating a massive trade deal.

so...it all comes down to money, right?

well HereticBD, the entirety of corporate America agrees with you.

I get it, you're just a hack and have no real beliefs or moral core that you so sanctimoniously profess to have on a daily basis, much like your fellow Liberal hypocrite Steve Kerr, and well, pretty much all Liberals in general.

why this name calling, my friend? i've suffered too. i, regretfully, decided to dump my Activision stock over this business.

also - stop looking to coaches of sports teams for moral guidance on these matters. look to your POTUS. he has no fucks to give for the residents of Hong Kong.

- IGIT

Last edited:
I suspect he is keeping his mouth shut out of respect for his players income. I doubt he makes much from the Chinese market but several of the Warriors players are heavily invested in China.

So your moral compass comes from money? That's it? If you lose money, then you get a free pass to be a coward?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ff-gillette/iK4le4olFTRqFz4gk8GQxI/story.html
Gillette reported a loss of billions of dollars after their "woke" commercial. If a leftist wants to shout obscenities against Republicans, then he better put his money where his mouth is.

He's done more than you've done regarding China.

hi brownsmith76,

lol.

i love this forum.

you're setting the bar pretty low for the President of the United States, but maybe that's appropriate.

i gotta go, i have a shoot i've got to do. talk to you later, my good friend.

- IGIT

I wouldn't have to give up any, because I'm not a public figure and nobody important cares what my opinion is on the whole ordeal.

Now, if I had fuck you money like Mr. Kerr, and was expected to have an opinion(considering I have been so outspoken in the past over similar issues), I would have absolutely no problem speaking out on what I believed in. The fact that he has fuck you money, and still won't say anything, makes him an extra special kind of coward.

Heretic I think your are being a hypocrite. I'm guessing you have plenty of money for things like cable TV and a cell phone. By standards of living in many countries you have plenty of FU money. If you believe in the Hong Kong cause then pay up. Thats what you are asking Kerr and the players to do. I think it is reasonable to expect the same from you that you expect from others.

Thats what you are asking Kerr and the players to do. I think it is reasonable to expect the same from you that you expect from others.

Now you're just being childish. "I know you are, but what am I?"

STEVE KERR IS A HYPOCRITE FOR SPEAKING ABOUT "SOCIAL JUSTICE".

Random forum members on sherdog ARE NOT HYPOCRITES if they have never complained, shouted, or cried about "social justice".

Leftists should use some logic instead of childish talk.

There are plenty of Republicans who have talked about jobs being outsourced to China or manufacturing jobs leaving to China. WE ARE NOT HYPOCRITES on this specific issue about criticizing one person but not criticizing another.

So your moral compass comes from money? That's it? If you lose money, then you get a free pass to be a coward?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ff-gillette/iK4le4olFTRqFz4gk8GQxI/story.html
Gillette reported a loss of billions of dollars after their "woke" commercial. If a leftist wants to shout obscenities against Republicans, then he better put his money where his mouth is.

Um, we all eat shit to make money. Unless you found a river of free money then you have a job like the rest of us.

As for Gillette, are you saying that because they ran a woke ad the liberals are supposed to buy their products? Are you really that moved by advertising? I can't remember the last time an ad made me want something. I can't grasp what point you are trying to make with this.

Back