International NBA cowtowing to China

How much is the NBA beholden to China?

• Total voters
Why is giving money to hong Kong being brought up.

Personally i wouldn't give money to hong kong even if i had it. I really dont care about hong kong.

I just have a personal issue with the NBA having a work relationship with China, while SJW'ing against the atrocities China commits.

Now you're just being childish. "I know you are, but what am I?"

STEVE KERR IS A HYPOCRITE FOR SPEAKING ABOUT "SOCIAL JUSTICE".

Random forum members on sherdog ARE NOT HYPOCRITES if they have never complained, shouted, or cried about "social justice".

Leftists should use some logic instead of childish talk.

There are plenty of Republicans who have talked about jobs being outsourced to China or manufacturing jobs leaving to China. WE ARE NOT HYPOCRITES on this specific issue about criticizing one person but not criticizing another.

hiya brownsmith76,

(before i head out)

just say, "we Republicans don't care about human rights abuses when there is money to be made".

you're getting close, really close. you're almost there. just say it and i won't mention our President in any replies to you on this topic and we can further discuss the treachery of Secretary of State Kerr.

now i really do have to go. good speaking with you!

- IGIT

Now you're just being childish. "I know you are, but what am I?"

STEVE KERR IS A HYPOCRITE FOR SPEAKING ABOUT "SOCIAL JUSTICE".

Random forum members on sherdog ARE NOT HYPOCRITES if they have never complained, shouted, or cried about "social justice".

Leftists should use some logic instead of childish talk.

There are plenty of Republicans who have talked about jobs being outsourced to China or manufacturing jobs leaving to China. WE ARE NOT HYPOCRITES on this specific issue about criticizing one person but not criticizing another.

You want the NBA players to give up money for this. Have you given up any money for Hong Kong? I'm guessing no. So you expect the players to give up money but you won't. You are expecting others to do what you won't. I think that is pretty darn close to being a hypocrite. Do I have the facts correct?

I can understand you wanting to change the subject to jobs and outsourcing as the facts on this issue don't roll in your favor.

Why is giving money to hong Kong being brought up.

Personally i wouldn't give money to hong kong even if i had it. I really dont care about hong kong.

I just have a personal issue with the NBA having a work relationship with China, while SJW'ing against the atrocities China commits.

Don't we all have a work relationship with China to some extent? How much stuff to we buy that is made there - from tee shirts to cell phones tout parts. What % of stocks and mutual funds we own have business dealings in China?

Don't we all have a work relationship with China to some extent? How much stuff to we buy that is made there - from tee shirts to cell phones tout parts. What % of stocks and mutual funds we own have business dealings in China?
Again....sure i buy chinese made stuff. But, im also not a social justice warrior for anything. Therefore, I'm not a hypocrite
The NBA chose to let it's players and coaches get involved with social causes. That is the problem i have.

Heretic I think your are being a hypocrite. I'm guessing you have plenty of money for things like cable TV and a cell phone. By standards of living in many countries you have plenty of FU money. If you believe in the Hong Kong cause then pay up. Thats what you are asking Kerr and the players to do. I think it is reasonable to expect the same from you that you expect from others.

I don't have to give up anything, and neither does Kerr. You're presenting a false premise. There are no rules in place that say Kerr is subject to a heavy fine if he speaks out on the China/Hong Kong situation.

If China gets pissed and nixes their deal over a coach speaking out, how does that effect Lebron James', or Steph Curry's contract exactly? Oh', that's right, it doesn't.

You're just fishing for excuses for phony Liberal cowards.

You want the NBA players to give up money for this.
No, now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never said I want NBA players to lose money. I don't care if they do, but I never advocated for that on this forum.

Steve Kerr should apologize to Republicans for criticizing America without actually having the courage to fully express his desire for some sort of perfect utopia for everyone.

Also, I'm noticing that you never said Steve Kerr wasn't a hypocrite. Are we then 100% in agreement that Steve Kerr is a hypocrite?

I don't have to give up anything, and neither does Kerr. You're presenting a false premise. There are no rules in place that say Kerr is subject to a heavy fine if he speaks out on the China/Hong Kong situation.

If China gets pissed and nixes their deal over a coach speaking out, how does that effect Lebron James', or Steph Curry's contract exactly? Oh', that's right, it doesn't.

It is true that their current contracts shouldn't be affected, but everyone is probably trying to play the long game as far as Chinese revenue is concerned.

Still, it's sad that American companies and American individuals are beholden and must censor themselves for the Chinese market. I mean, in the end, that *is* capitalism. But it just lacks tegridy.

just say, "we Republicans don't care about human rights abuses when there is money to be made".

No, you're creating a strawman fallacy.

Republicans don't want people to be abused, but we understand that China is a large country and a big player. They are a sovereign nation. We cannot force our Western way of life on them. We are realistic, and the members here are not hypocrites in this specific issue.

Also I notice that you haven't said, "Steve Kerr is not a hypocrite". Are you agreeing with us that Steve Kerr is a hypocrite? Yes or no.

Last edited:
This is like me owning a business. I'm all over the place commenting about racism, and boycotting things because of racism. Then, for money opening a business in a notoriously racist country.

There is no false premise here, the players are loosing money.

The players are affected by product sales, endorsements, business ventures and the like in China. There are a lot of people in China and they buy shoes and stuff. Many of the more popular players make annual summer trips to China paid for by their sponsors. The NBA makes money from TV rights, product sales and such in China. The league has already been investigating a lowering of the salary cap due to the potential loss in revenue.

I'm guessing Kerr does not make much at all from the Chinese market but Curry, Thompson and others sure do. China loves Clay Thompson. So I'm pretty sure Kerr would be happy to speak out on Hong Kong but I'm guessing he is not doing it out of loyalty to his players. I would also add that Kerr has been more outspoken on gun and racial issues more than anything else by a long shot. Mostly guns from what I see. I am not sure how many issues he should be required to speak up against.

No, you're creating a strawman fallacy.

Republicans don't want people to be abused, but we understand that China is a large country and a big player. They are a sovereign nation. We cannot force our Western way of life on them. We are realistic, and we are not hypocrites for criticizing one person but not criticizing another.

Also I notice that you haven't said, "Steve Kerr is not a hypocrite". Are you agreeing with us that Steve Kerr is a hypocrite? Yes or no.

You just accused him of creating a strawman and then said "We cannot force our Western way of life on them".

So you don't give a crap about human rights abuses because there's money to be made. You can't tell them what to do, but you still engage in business with them.

<TheWire1>

Steve Kerr should apologize to Republicans for criticizing America without actually having the courage to fully express his desire for some sort of perfect utopia for everyone.

Huh? You often loose me when you try to make a point.

Is Kerr a hypocrite for having his players back? That's not the spin I would put on it but you can call him that as long as you are willing to take an honest look at yourself and ask yourself the same question.

You just accused him of creating a strawman and then said "We cannot force our Western way of life on them".

So you don't give a crap about human rights abuses because there's money to be made. You can't tell them what to do, but you still engage in business with them.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I hate Chinese communists, and I want the people of Hong Kong to be free.

I don't make any money off of the Chinese as far as I know.

Are you saying you do want to force Western ways on China?

Do you believe Steve Kerr is a hypocrite?

Is Kerr a hypocrite for having his players back?

You cannot respond to a question with a question of your own.

Yes or no.

It looks like you do believe that Steve Kerr is indeed a hypocrite, but he gets a liberal pass for it because you just feel like it.

You cannot respond to a question with a question of your own.

Yes or no.

It looks like you do believe that Steve Kerr is indeed a hypocrite, but he gets a liberal pass for it because you just feel like it.

When I said "That's not the spin I would put on it but you can call him that..." That was me answering your questions. I did not think it was subtle but sorry you missed it.

So have you asked yourself the same question? Are you willing to give up part of your income to support Hong Kong protesters like you expect others to do? Are you a hypocrite?

Wow this thread took a weird turn. I for one do not care what China does in it's own country. I support Hong Kong but only in the most passive way.
What I do care about is China using its economic strength to affect Americans free speech. It's not there place. Just like it should not be Americas place to force China on the Hong Kong issue.

To put it simply, if an American makes a statement on China, China as a country should not be retaliating.

herro brownsmith76,

Republicans don't want people to be abused, but we understand that China is a large country and a big player. They are a sovereign nation. We cannot force our Western way of life on them. We are realistic, and the members here are not hypocrites in this specific issue.

i'm not asking the GOP to saber rattle and commit a carrier task force in the Pacific Sea, while having a war game exercise on the island of Taiwan.

just a tweet or a note of support from the POTUS would be fine - but you ain't gonna see that, my friend, because there's a big trade deal ($$$!) in the works.

likewise, the NBA doesn't want to see people abused, but as you said, China is a very big player. lots of money to be had, you know?

Donald J Trump and the NBA (and that means Steve Kerr too) have been given their orders from Xi, and that's all there is to it. for Mr. Kerr to speak out on the topic doesn't mean that he alone is going to hurl his body onto a land mine - he'd be dragging the entire National Basketball Association with him.

maybe he doesn't feel comfortable with that. clearly the Chinese do not make a distinction between an individual and the larger entity that this individual is associated with. that certainly turned out to be the case for the Rockets GM who tweeted about the issue.

i don't see Mr. Kerr as a hypocrite, no. if i ran every Kerr interview and strung them together, i'd bet that 1% of the content would be related to non-basketball topics. he's a coach of a sports team, he's not the Secretary of State.

if Chris Hitchens (RIP) was asked about the issue (assuming he had business interests in China) and he said no comment, yeah, lol. i'd say that was hypocritical.

- IGIT

Last edited:
You're putting words in my mouth.

I hate Chinese communists, and I want the people of Hong Kong to be free.

I don't make any money off of the Chinese as far as I know.

hi brownsmith76,

how do you feel about the protestors in Hong Kong?

i get the feeling you support them...but what is that you support? do you support the manner in which they are protesting?

how do you feel about Carrie Lam's concessions that she's made thus far, and do you think she needs to go further - particularly given the inconsistencies regarding China's pledge to enact the promises Beijing made to the citizens of Hong Kong back in 2007 (which they've refused to uphold)?

how should Chang Tong-kai's situation have been resolved given Tsai Ing-wen's position on the incident?

- IGIT

Last edited:

hi Crocop42,

GM has a work relationship with China too, you know?

and GM is completely a SJW kind of entity - are you very angry at GM?

General Motors is the world’s best company when it comes to gender equality, according to a new report released on Thursday.
The report, by gender equity data and insight group Equileap, found that GM topped last year’s title holder, cosmetic company L’Oreal, The Detroit Free Press reports.

https://fortune.com/2018/10/05/gm-gender-equality/

how about Cambell's Soup? the folks at Cambell have also been making a big SJW push. you can read about it here; https://www.csrwire.com/blog/posts/413-from-diversity-to-inclusion-to-impact-our-journey-at-campbell.

Cambell's Soup is also in China now. its a "work relationship", as you'd put it. you mad at Cambell's Soup too?

here are some of the US companies plying their trade in China, and many (most) of them have made various SJW stands, mostly regarding diversity and equality regarding gender treatment.

AT&T
Abercrombe & Fitch
Abbott Laboratories
Acer Electronics
Ademco Security
ADI Security
AGI- American Gem Institute
AIG Financial
Agrilink Foods, Inc. (ProFac)
Allergan Laboratories
American Eagle Outfitters
American Standard
American Tourister
Ames Tools
Amphenol Corporation
Amway Corporation
Analog Devices, Inc.
Apple Computer
Ashland Chemical
Ashley Furniture
Associated Grocers
AutoZone, Inc.
Avon
Banana Republic
Bausch & Lomb, Inc.
Baxter International
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Buy
Best Foods
Big 5 Sporting Goods
Black & Decker
Body Shop
Borden Foods
Briggs & Stratton
Campbell 's Soup
Carole Cable
Casio Instrument
Caterpillar, Inc.
CBC America
CCTV Outlet
Checker Auto
CitiCorp
Cisco Systems
Claire's Boutique
Cobra Electronics
Coby Electronics
Coca Cola Foods
Colgate-Palmolive
Colorado Spectrum
ConAgra Foods
Cooper Tire
Corning, Inc.
Coleman Sporting Goods
Compaq
Crabtree & Evelyn
Cracker Barrel Stores
Craftsman Tools (see Sears)
Cummins, Inc.
Dannon Foods
Dell Computer
Del Monte Foods
Dewalt Tools
DHL
Dial Corporation
Diebold, Inc.
Dillard's, Inc.
Dodge-Phelps
Dole Foods
Dollar Tree Stores, Inc.
Dow-Corning
Eastman Kodak
EchoStar
Eclipse CCTV
Edge Electronics Group
Electric Vehicles USA, Inc.
Eli Lilly Company
Emerson Electric
Estee Lauder
Eveready
Family Dollar Stores
FedEx
Fisher Scientific
Ford Motors
Fossil
Frito Lay
Furniture Brands International
GAP Stores
Gateway Computer
GE, General Electric
General Foods International
General Mills
General Motors
Gentek
Gerber Foods
Gillette Company
Goodrich Company
Goodyear Tire
Google
Guess?
Haagen-Dazs
Harley Davidson
Hasbro Company
Heinz Foods
Hershey Foods
Holt's Automotive Products
Hormel Foods
Home Depot
Hoover Vacuum
HP Computer
Honeywell
Hubbell Inc.
Huggies
Hunts-Wesson Foods
ICON Office Solutions
IBM
Intel Corporation
J.C. Penny's
J.M. Smucker Company
John Deere
Johnson Control
Johnson & Johnson
Johnstone Supply
KB Home
Keebler Foods
Kenwood Audio
KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken
Kimberly Clark
K-Mart
Kohler
Kohl's Corporation
Kraft Foods
Land's End
Lexmark
LG Electronics
Lipton Foods
L.L. Bean, Inc.
Libby's Foods
Linen & Things
Lipo Chemicals, Inc.
Lowe's Hardware
Lucent Technologies
Lufkin
Mars Candy
Martha Stewart Products
Mattel
McCormick Foods
McDonald's
McKesson Corporation
Megellan GPS
Memorex
Merck & Company
Michael's Stores
Mobile Oil
Molex
Motorola
Motts Applesauce
Multifoods Corporation
Nabisco Foods
National Semiconductor
Nescafe
Nestles Foods
Nike
Northrop Grumman Corporation
NuSkin International
Nutrilite (see Amway)
Nvidia Corporation (G-Force)
Office Depot
Olin Corporation
Old Navy
Orion-Knight Electronics
Pacific Sunwear, Inc.
Pamper's
Panvise
Papa Johns
Payless Shoesource
Pelco
Pep Boy's
Pepsico International
PetsMart
Petco
Pfizer, Inc.
Phillip Morris Companies
Pier 1 Imports
Pillsbury Company
Pitney Bowes, Inc.
Pizza Hut
Plantronics
PlaySchool Toys
Polaris Industries
Polaroid
Polo (see Ralph Loren)
Post Cereals
Price-Pfister
Pringles
Praxair
Proctor & Gamble
PSS World Medical
Pyle Audio
Qualcomm
Quest One
Radio Shack
Ralph Loren
Reebok International
Reynolds Aluminum
Revlon
Samsonite
Shell Oil
Schwinn Bike
Sears-Craftsman
Seven-Eleven (7-11)
Sherwin-Williams
Shure Electronics
Speco Technologies/Pro Video
Shopko Stores
Skechers Footwear
SmartHome
Smucker's (see J.M. Smucker's)
Solar Power, Inc.
Spencer Gifts
Stanley Tools
Staple's
Starbucks Corporation
Steelcase, Inc.
STP Oil
Sunkist Growers
SunMaid Raisins
Sunglass Hut
Sunkist
Subway Sandwiches
Switchcraft Electronics
SYSCO Foods
Sylvania Electric
3-M
Target
Texas Instruments
Timex
Timken Bearing
TNT
Tommy Hilfiger
Tower Automotive
Toy's R Us, Inc.
Trader Joe's
Tripp-lite
True Value Hardware
Tupper Ware
Tyson Foods
UPS
Valspar Corporation
Victoria 's Secret
VTech
Walgreen Company
Walt Disney Company
Walmart
WD-40 Corporation
Weller Electric Company
Western Digital
Westinghouse Electric
Whirlpool Corporation
Wilson Sporting Goods
Wrigley
WW Grainger, Inc.
Wyeth Laboratories
X-10
Xelite
Xerox
Yahoo
Yoplait Foods
Yum Brands
Zale Corporation

you angry at them too? 'cos they've all got absolutely nothing to say about Hong Kong.

or is your anger exclusively reserved for the NBA?

- IGIT

Last edited:
Back